Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one else break an axle in there Gen 2 yet? I've got about 31k on my truck and lost it in an insection. I was making a left turn and needed to get out of the insection quickly.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any one else break an axle in there Gen 2 yet? I've got about 31k on my truck and lost it in an insection. I was making a left turn and needed to get out of the insection quickly.
[/QUOT
Is your truck FWD or AWD? If AWD, the rears are half shafts. They are made by GKN. Is that what you broke?
It seems everyone calls them something different. It was a front drivers side CV that went. I may have been a little miss https://jalopnik.com/pre-owned-kia-stingers-are-already-an-awesome-value-1838658860.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just punched the gas from a dead stop. The truck does have a leveling kit on it with +1 tires. But I'm still surprised I broke it. I did have the wheel nearly locked because I had been drifting forward trying to get out on the intersection for some time.

·
Registered
734 Posts
So, to be clear, the failure occurred within a CV joint, not the shaft itself breaking?

If a CV joint, inner or outer?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am also curious about what @CentexG2 asked, did the actual shaft break or the joint. The joint is much more of a commonality than the shaft itself; which unless there was a defect in the shaft would be incredibly difficult to do. Also at only 31k this is covered under warranty, no?

·
Premium Member
2,022 Posts
I am also curious about what @CentexG2 asked, did the actual shaft break or the joint. The joint is much more of a commonality than the shaft itself; which unless there was a defect in the shaft would be incredibly difficult to do. Also at only 31k this is covered under warranty, no?
With a lift, maybe not. I know my shop would void the warranty on a failed CV joint if I had a lift on my RL.

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
I have been here only a few months, but in that short time there appears to be a common theme concerning aftermarket leveling kits and premature failure of front end drive components?

Bill
It may be premature to call it a common theme.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Noting the OP's situation ...
  • "Dead stopped"
  • Steering wheel turned left to "nearly locked"
  • "punched the gas"
  • AWD (promotes good response to throttle input from dead stop even with imbalanced front loading / traction)
So in that situation the vehicle would experience a vigorous momentary body-roll to the right with the effect of further 'lifting' the front left corner. Combining the effects of the steering angle, the body-roll, and the lift kit would all contribute to exacerbated outer left CV joint angle in both the horizontal and vertical planes.
Does anyone know the min / max operating angles of the CV joints?
Methinks that whatever the spec, the OP found the real-world limit, if only for one critical moment.

Also noting that any lift, and any tire OD increase (OP mentions "+1 tires", not sure if that's OD), however slight, also raises the CG and roll-center of the vehicle, likely compounding the body-roll / 'left front corner lift effect' (relative to 'stock') of the OP's maneuver to some degree.

Did the combined and complex effect of the mods make the difference leading to failure in this particular rare circumstance?

IMO it'd be easy to argue "quite possibly", maybe even "probably", and perhaps difficult to "prove" either way. I'm not inclined to replicate the situation with my stock setup for repeated baseline tests …..

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nothing obvious. The truck has been making noises for months. I greased my sway bar links an it helped some. I guess in my head the truck just wasn't old enough to have a CV going bad.

The tire and wheel setup is slightly heavier too.

·
Registered
734 Posts
So now, the question is this... can the CV joint be repaired or do you have to replace the entire axle assembly?
In my other-than-RL experience (DIY) it's quicker, easier, and more assured to just go ahead and replace the halfshaft assembly. Ya gotta pull it all anyway and in most locales it's hard to find a shop that rebuilds CV joints these days.

Yeah, I call 'em "halfshafts" no matter which end of the vehicle ;)

1 - 20 of 83 Posts