Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving on the highway at about 75mph, I hit a slight dip. I heard and felt the sound that sends chills up the back. :eek:I could see the Honda ST1300 had not fallen out of the bed, but I knew something was wrong. The cable had broken on the tailgate. The tailgate is now sitting almost to the bumper. I am not sure if the latch has broken or just the cable. I am going to a honda dealer in the morning, unload the motorcycle and see what on earth happened. I find that replacement cables are available on the web, but I cannot find a reference on this forum to any experience of a broken cable. The evidence on this forum suggests that this is highly unusual.
Any other experiences like these out there? Suggestions for how to haul a big bike?
:confused:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Total weight of the bike being only 719 pounds I would assume it was not the motorcycle that caused this to fail. I have not heard of this happening either but am traveling 1500 miles in Sept with my VTX in the back. Only thing I can think to help would be a sheet of plywood put down first. Glad to hear the bike is OK and I hope you get it easily taken care of.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I don't have the most posts on this board but I betcha I have read as many as anyone lol> I have been reading since Jan 2005 and have not heard of anyone breaking their tailgate strap. There is a thread on the strength of the tailgate cable.

·
Registered
251 Posts
WOW sorry to hear about that happening. I actually thought about putting my st1300 in the bed to take it with me on a road trip. Let us know what you turn up on the dealers response. Jason

·
Registered
6 Posts
The support weight on the tailgate is 300lbs. If that bump sent half of the bike's weight to the tailgate that would explain it. The plywood idea seems like a good one to distribute the weight.

·
Registered
959 Posts
The support weight on the tailgate is 300lbs. If that bump sent half of the bike's weight to the tailgate that would explain it. The plywood idea seems like a good one to distribute the weight.
I use the plywood with a couple of 2X12's under it to carry my snowmobile. I cut the plywood and 2X12's so they're the length of the bed with the tailgate down. Works like a charm, I go from central CT. to Island Pond, Vermont all the time with no problems.

I also have used the same set-up to carry my Harley from CT. to Daytona for bike week. Again, no problems.

To the OP, when you get the strap fixed try this method. Like Seawraith said, it helps distribute the weight. I have used it many time with no problem.

·
Registered
52 Posts
that has been my concern about the tailgate. not the weight of my bike in the bed but the weight of me+bike+ramp when loading. that would suck big time falling off the tailgate while on the bike.

silverridge08 is your 2x12 and plywood a platform that covers the whole bed? any pictures?

·
Premium Member
7,780 Posts
The tailgate is rated for a 300 pound dynamic load which translates into a 1200lbs static load. It is one of the strongest in the industry, iirc. I suspect that the bump was bigger than the op realizes. A bump in the road can translate to a quite a few g's if the load isn't properly secured.

·
Registered
959 Posts
that has been my concern about the tailgate. not the weight of my bike in the bed but the weight of me+bike+ramp when loading. that would suck big time falling off the tailgate while on the bike.

silverridge08 is your 2x12 and plywood a platform that covers the whole bed? any pictures?
Yes, I just cut a piece of plywood the width and length of the bed with the tailgate down. I then got three 2X12's and cut them to the same length as the plywood. Then I screwed them down, one in the middle and two on each side. When I put one of my bikes in the back I always center it on the plywood so the weight is over the middle 2X12. Also, when putting my sled in the back, the track is always centered over the middle 2X12 and the skis are over the outer 2X12's!

I can get a pic, it will be a couple days though. My set-up is at my buddies house.

The worse thing is I have an enclosed snowmobile trailer, but it's too big to justify putting one bike or sled in for a long haul.

·
Registered
52 Posts
ive got a good mental pic now, thanks. i am making something similar and i will have some type of solid mound for the ramps to lock on to so they dont fall off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I haul my Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans which weighs around 500lbs, quite often from Portland to Monterey and back, and up to now without a problem. Tailgate seems quite strong... but youve got me thinking so maybe I will try the ply wood as recommended. Sounds Good. I want to add that my 07 Ridgeline just eats up the miles effortlessly on those long trips and is really comfortable, I love it! Last trip I discovered that the gas tank takes about 22gals... (pumped it myself) did you know that?

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,299 Posts
I haul my Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans which weighs around 500lbs, quite often from Portland to Monterey and back, and up to now without a problem. Tailgate seems quite strong... but youve got me thinking so maybe I will try the ply wood as recommended. Sounds Good. I want to add that my 07 Ridgeline just eats up the miles effortlessly on those long trips and is really comfortable, I love it! Last trip I discovered that the gas tank takes about 22gals... (pumped it myself) did you know that?
Did you run it out of gas?

·
Registered
4,981 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
...I then got three 2X12's and cut them to the same length as the plywood. Then I screwed them down, one in the middle and two on each side.
Were there ever any picture's posted? I'm not sure what you meant by "screwed them down." Screwed what down to what? The wood to the bed? Meaning drilling through the bed? Is the bed strong enough to take bolting down onto? I don't really know how this composite bed material behaves.

Also, MikeT explained that the gate takes 300lbs of dynamic. I thought I read in some other thread that it's 300lbs of static. What is it really?

I'm all question because I too don't want to see by Speed Triple tumbling around behind me. I'm getting ready to install a Pitbull Restraint and am in the middle of over-analyzing/engineering it. :act010:

·
Premium Member
7,780 Posts
...Also, MikeT explained that the gate takes 300lbs of dynamic. I thought I read in some other thread that it's 300lbs of static. What is it really?
300lbs dynamic. Meaning that it is safe to have three hundred pounds of weight on the tailgate with the vehicle traveling on a somewhat smooth road.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Were there ever any picture's posted? I'm not sure what you meant by "screwed them down." Screwed what down to what? The wood to the bed? Meaning drilling through the bed? Is the bed strong enough to take bolting down onto? I don't really know how this composite bed material behaves.

Also, MikeT explained that the gate takes 300lbs of dynamic. I thought I read in some other thread that it's 300lbs of static. What is it really?

I'm all question because I too don't want to see by Speed Triple tumbling around behind me. I'm getting ready to install a Pitbull Restraint and am in the middle of over-analyzing/engineering it. :act010:
I think he is saying he screwed the 2x12s to the plywood and just set it in the truck bed without fastening it which it wouldn't need to be.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The tailgate is rated for a 300 pound dynamic load which translates into a 1200lbs static load. It is one of the strongest in the industry, iirc. I suspect that the bump was bigger than the op realizes. A bump in the road can translate to a quite a few g's if the load isn't properly secured.
Saturday I broke my tailgate support cable. I step on the tailgate carrying an electric motor of about 80 pounds. I'm 220 pounds. Forget about the 1200 pounds static load. The 300 pounds is the limit for an static load. May be it can resist a little bit more than 300 pounds. Hopefully no body damaged, just the broken cable. That cable it is not as strong as I thought.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Saturday I broke my tailgate support cable. I step on the tailgate carrying an electric motor of about 80 pounds. I'm 220 pounds. Forget about the 1200 pounds static load. The 300 pounds is the limit for an static load. May be it can resist a little bit more than 300 pounds. Hopefully no body damaged, just the broken cable. That cable it is not as strong as I thought.
I'm thinking there was a defect or damage before. I sit on my tailgate regularly with my girlfriend and that's pushing 400 lbs with no problems.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,299 Posts
Tampa FL. Are you sure the cable wasn't rusted in the bend? That's been a fairly common failure in the cable. For anyone who lays the tailgate down and uses it regularly, it would make sense to regularly inspect that single cable for corrosion.

Hope you weren't injured.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts