Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have the "brush guard"? It is made entirely of light weight plastic and is attached only to the bumper. If you put even very light pressure on it the whole bumper/brush guard assembly moves. It is not at all functional. I would suggest avoiding this accessory. Does anyone else have an opinion? Anyone know of a sturdier after market grill guard out there? Your feedback will be appreciated.

Otherwise, I love the Ridgeline. I got the RTL w/ nav, roof rack, bed extender, running boards, bug deflector...basically every option available.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Amazon Green said:
Does anyone else have the "brush guard"? It is made entirely of light weight plastic and is attached only to the bumper. If you put even very light pressure on it the whole bumper/brush guard assembly moves. It is not at all functional. I would suggest avoiding this accessory. Does anyone else have an opinion? Anyone know of a sturdier after market grill guard out there? Your feedback will be appreciated.
Yep, all plastic and only attached to the bumper. It's only for looks but if I tap a wall or something I'd much rather scratch it than the paint on the bumper so I'm happy enough with it. Don't know of any other real ones out there yet but I imagine SmittyBilt or other will have one available at some point.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
I have ordered my truck to come with the brush guard for the same reasons vertrkr mentioned. I will be curious to see if the aftermarket will offer something more substantial.

·
Registered
297 Posts
FWIW our salesman made a comment that Honda probably didn't offer a REAL cattle guard because it would negate the effectiveness of the sensors in the bumper that activate the air bags.

Dunno if this comment was an educated one on his part, but it makes sense as Honda seems very concerned about safety (and liability!).

·
Registered
123 Posts
I didn't get the unit because it looked flimsy to me, and from the sounds of it that may be somewhat true. Ultimately even though it takes the scratches and damage if you "bump" into things (very lightly) it also adds quite a few inches in length to the truck, something which I can hardly afford. As it is there is not a huge amount of space left in my garage with it being considerably longer than my CRV and even my TL!

So if your garage space is tight you might consider this.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Heinrich said:
I didn't get the unit because it looked flimsy to me, and from the sounds of it that may be somewhat true. Ultimately even though it takes the scratches and damage if you "bump" into things (very lightly) it also adds quite a few inches in length to the truck, something which I can hardly afford. As it is there is not a huge amount of space left in my garage with it being considerably longer than my CRV and even my TL!
So if your garage space is tight you might consider this.
Indeed it does add about 4 inches of length. Its not fall off kinda flimsy but it you pull/push hard enough you can make the front bumper flex a little bit at the seams.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone out there installed the brush guard yourself? I removed all 15 bolts & fasteners as per the directions & the front end would not come off.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Here's a cross link to an aftermarket brush guard to benefit any future seachers on this topic.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1385&highlight=brush+guard

I personally like this brush guard. Hubby hates it. We saw one on a BLUE truck parked near ours. That driver stuck out at least a foot more than any of the vehicles around. Hubby first mistaked it for our own and then remembered we didn't park that far. I think the driver was being a bit over cautious in not pulling into the stall all the way, but it does leave a sizeable difference out front. More than the four inches of the OEM.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Wally, welcome to the ROC. I'm excited to have caught up with you on your first post. I want to know more about you and your truck. For instance, what color is it? Fingers crossed for another BLUE. Whatever color you chose, we all hope to hear more from you. A good place to start is here:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2743

·
Premium Member
6,880 Posts
Amazon Green said:

Otherwise, I love the Ridgeline. I got the RTL w/ nav, roof rack, bed extender, running boards, bug deflector...basically every option available.
Hi Amazon, Welcome to the club. I think the OEM Honda front guard is mainly for show (looks).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a rear bumper guard made for the Ridgeline? I live in the city and am tired of bad drivers scraping my rear bumper getting out of parking spaces behind me. Any info on where I may be able to find one at a decent price would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
There are a number of bumper guards that install in the rear hitch. Use the search engine on this site and you'll get an idea of what's out there.

Also there's this....

http://www.superbumper.com/

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I picked up a wide hitchstep on eBay for $50. Bought it more for extra bumper protection than as a step - though it has been handy on at least one occasion when I've been getting stuff in/out of the bed.

It's wide - covers somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 of the bumper, and doesn't look out of place in the least.

One of the best accessory choices I made for the truck, IMHO.

- Chip

1 - 16 of 16 Posts