Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2017 RTL-E
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, below is my second tonneau in a month. The one in the picture was installed one week ago and was new out of the box. These bubbles show up when it gets hot out in the sun. My first one had the same issue and Honda was kind enough to exchange it. I saw on the Toyota Tundra owners club that some guys are having the same problem with NEW tonneaus and they appear to be made by the same manufacturer (they look exactly the same). Have any of you run into this issue with tonneaus purchased in the last month or two? I don't want to exchange it again right away for fear of getting yet another one that'll have these bubbles.
When I press them the material flexes easily and you can feel/hear that it's contacting an adhesive underneath. When folded the back side does the same thing when it warms up. For what this thing cost it should not be having this problem.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Definitely a defect for the OEM cover. Maybe there will be a recall? I wonder if the recourse will be different if the cover came from the factory, was a dealer installed accessory, or purchased as an owner installed accessory. Either way, you're not getting what you paid for so it should be replaced. I'd check the fine print.

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
487 Posts
My dealer put mine on (thank God), figured in with my deal. If mine does that it will be going back.

·
Registered
2017 RTL-E
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My dealer put mine on (thank God), figured in with my deal. If mine does that it will be going back.
I checked the warranty documents and it’s covered for a year even if you install it yourself. This applies to all genuine Honda accessories purchased from an authorized dealer.

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
487 Posts
I do like my cover so far, but honestly, my cheap Truxedo Truxsport I had on my other truck, for 3 years, kept the bed bone dry!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Guys, below is my second tonneau in a month. The one in the picture was installed one week ago and was new out of the box. These bubbles show up when it gets hot out in the sun. My first one had the same issue and Honda was kind enough to exchange it. I saw on the Toyota Tundra owners club that some guys are having the same problem with NEW tonneaus and they appear to be made by the same manufacturer (they look exactly the same). Have any of you run into this issue with tonneaus purchased in the last month or two? I don't want to exchange it again right away for fear of getting yet another one that'll have these bubbles.
When I press them the material flexes easily and you can feel/hear that it's contacting an adhesive underneath. When folded the back side does the same thing when it warms up. For what this thing cost it should not be having this problem.
View attachment 411778
View attachment 411778
I just bought one and will be putting it on this weekend. Yeah....I hope this doesn't happen.

·
Administrator
19,591 Posts
Now for the million dollar question. IF mine bubbles up, can you get your money back? It was dealer installed, before I bought it.
I would imagine any remedy would be limited to repair or replacement for the duration of the vehicle's 3/36 warranty period if it was factory-installed or dealer-installed at or before the time of purchase.

·
Registered
2017 RTL-E
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would imagine any remedy would be limited to repair or replacement for the duration of the vehicle's 3/36 warranty period if it was factory-installed or dealer-installed at or before the time of purchase.
This is correct if dealer installed (based on the warranty doc I looked up). Honda has a one-year warranty if self-installed (provided it was purchased from an authorized dealer). I bought my first one from Bernardi. After it bubbled I took the receipt to my local dealer and they exchanged it without fuss (plus my local parts guy said he would have matched Bernardi and I would have saved over $100 in shipping). I sent him the same pic I posted here the same day I made this post so it’s on his record. He’s supposed to be asking Honda corporate if this is a wide-spread issue or if I’ve just had horrible luck. Either way I’ll insist on yet another replacement, but at this point I’d actually prefer a refund so I can get a different brand.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Now for the million dollar question. IF mine bubbles up, can you get your money back? It was dealer installed, before I bought it.

Nice truck, did you do the white letters?
Was part of my deal for dealership to change Firestone tires from 245 to 265. He called me and said the Firestone 265 have option of white lettering on 1 side. You want white lettering to show or not. I said show . I can always turn tire around if don’t want white lettering.

·
Administrator
19,591 Posts
What is the brand name of that bed cover ?
The Honda tonneau cover is made by Extang who is owned by Truck Hero - the same company that owns A.R.E., Retrax, and others. It is similar to the Extang Solid Fold 2.0.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I wonder if they changed the cover material. I have a Extang Encore for 3 years with no issues.

·
Registered
Black 2020 Ridgeline RTL-E
12 Posts
Had my Ridgeline 2 months. Dealer replaced first cover put on at purchase due to bubbles. 2nd cover looked good in the covered service drive but had severe bubbling after a 45 minute drive home. Dealer has a 3rd cover sitting in the sun at the dealership testing before install. If it bubbles we are going to plan B, another manufacturer.

I have no faith in the Honda accessory cover now. What happens when real summer heat hits it? I’m going to push for a Bakflip MX4 that I had on my previous Toyota Tacoma. No adhesive to let loose in the sun.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,214 Posts
Had my Ridgeline 2 months. Dealer replaced first cover put on at purchase due to bubbles. 2nd cover looked good in the covered service drive but had severe bubbling after a 45 minute drive home. Dealer has a 3rd cover sitting in the sun at the dealership testing before install. If it bubbles we are going to plan B, another manufacturer.

I have no faith in the Honda accessory cover now. What happens when real summer heat hits it? I’m going to push for a Bakflip MX4 that I had on my previous Toyota Tacoma. No adhesive to let loose in the sun.
FWIW, both the Honda oem cover and the Bakflip MX4 come from the same company, Truck Hero.

·
Registered
44 Posts
1 - 20 of 95 Posts