Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I checked the warranty documents and it’s covered for a year even if you install it yourself. This applies to all genuine Honda accessories purchased from an authorized dealer.
Agreed. Bought mine online from dealer in Ohio. $900 including shipping and tax! My dealer here, honored the warranty and gave me a new one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Had my Ridgeline 2 months. Dealer replaced first cover put on at purchase due to bubbles. 2nd cover looked good in the covered service drive but had severe bubbling after a 45 minute drive home. Dealer has a 3rd cover sitting in the sun at the dealership testing before install. If it bubbles we are going to plan B, another manufacturer.

I have no faith in the Honda accessory cover now. What happens when real summer heat hits it? I’m going to push for a Bakflip MX4 that I had on my previous Toyota Tacoma. No adhesive to let loose in the sun.
Mine was full of bubbles out of the box. The second one has indentations on panel near the back of bed due to foams under first panel resting on it. It does not seal on end corners. Wonder if I can return and get my money back? Guaranteed this will bubble soon. This is a bad design by Extang.

·
Registered
2017 RTL-E
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Mine was full of bubbles out of the box. The second one has indentations on panel near the back of bed due to foams under first panel resting on it. It does not seal on end corners. Wonder if I can return and get my money back? Guaranteed this will bubble soon. This is a bad design by Extang.
I'm with you. Honda Customer Care left me a message last week just saying they needed some additional information about my case. I called the case manager and left a message but Honda has made no further attempts to call me back after several business days. It's getting very annoying, and I don't really want to go beat on my local dealer since I didn't buy the original tonneau from them (and I've built up a decent relationship with the parts manager that I'd like to maintain for future needs). I'd prefer that Honda corporate process a refund so I can just buy a different model altogether.

·
Registered
2017 RTL-E
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Beat on the dealer that sold you the tonneau cover.
Good point. My fear is Bernardi will expect me to ship the monster back to them. More than likely they'll say I'm past my 30-day return period so it's a warranty issue now. Regardless, I just sent them the same email I sent to Honda Customer Care to make my case that they should give me a refund after all the headaches/time this thing has cost me. They might just ask me to send a picture of the destroyed unit (my local parts guy said he's required to do this with warranty returns). There would be therapeutic value in taking the Sawzall to it.

·
Registered
2017 RTL-E
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Beat on the dealer that sold you the tonneau cover.
Well, I reached out to Bernardi and they just replied exactly as I predicted they would: "Thank you for providing the pictures and explanation of the issue. Unfortunately, we cannot provide a refund on the order. While I understand that this has been a very frustrating experience, and I do apologize for the continued inconvenience that this is causing. The part has been warrantied and replaced by another Honda dealer. I recommend contacting American Honda directly to see if they can offer the resolution that you are looking for. You can find American Honda’s contact information by scrolling down the Honda Owner’s page. If you have any questions or need any additional information, please email me back."

So Bernardi got my money and basically said "Not our problem!" I'll be taking them off my list of parts suppliers.

Honda Customer Care still hasn't gotten back to me and it's been over a week. I've left 3-4 voicemails with my case manager there. I'm about to email my local parts guy to see whether he's heard anything about the issue from Honda corporate since I want to be sure if I get a fourth tonneau it doesn't have the same problem (although, like I said before, now I just want a refund so I can get a different brand).

·
Administrator
19,520 Posts
You might have to work your way up the Honda food chain (waaay up the food chain) to get a resolution that is satisfactory to you. It took me a year to finally get a hold of the right person at Honda who understood my position and agreed to my demand.

Bernardi clearly states their return policy - 15 days for uninstalled items and no refunds on installed items. College Hills gives you 30 days unless the item has been installed. Majestic Honda is the same. I suspect most, if not all Honda dealers have a similar return policy.

If you scream long and loud enough, you might get a gift card from Honda equal to the purchase price of the tonneau cover. Be warned that it might take a lot of work, though. Consider the time and emotional investment involved.

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
473 Posts
WOW! My cover must be a male, it doesn't have any humps yet (J/K) . I do park in the sun during work, and I will be keeping a eye on it. But I do have a simple question, is this just a 2021 thing, or has it happened before? I won't put up with a $1000 cover that does this, no reason to have to.

·
Registered
2017 RTL-E
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
WOW! My cover must be a male, it doesn't have any humps yet (J/K) . I do park in the sun during work, and I will be keeping a eye on it. But I do have a simple question, is this just a 2021 thing, or has it happened before? I won't put up with a $1000 cover that does this, no reason to have to.
It really sucks. I paid a grand just for the peace of mind that’s it’s backed by Honda and you see what it got me. My local dealer did call me today to say he‘s still trying to get an answer from Honda corporate but they aren’t confirming nor denying there’s an issue.
If you search “Extang tonneau bubbles” you’ll see an awful lot of recent reviews that complain about bubbles. I did see some from a few years ago, as if this has happened before, but I’m completely convinced that a bad batch made it to the streets in the February/March timeframe.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I’m completely convinced that a bad batch made it to the streets in the February/March timeframe.

I agree but I checked their website and found no reference to the bubbles.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The cover is made by Extang and sold through Truck Hero. I emailed Extang through their website. They told me to keep working with the dealer. My dealer is supposed to get me a new cover and Extang said they don't expect any more problems going forward. It's been a week and I haven't heard from the dealer. If it gets close to the 30 day mark of purchasing my cover I will contact my bank and see if I can get the charges reversed.

·
Administrator
19,520 Posts
If it gets close to the 30 day mark of purchasing my cover I will contact my bank and see if I can get the charges reversed.
What'll probably happen there is the card issuer will credit your account while they investigate as a gesture to make you feel like they're on your side. Then, they'll side with the merchant and restore the charge. Been there, done that. ;)

·
Registered
2017 RTL-E
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I’m completely convinced that a bad batch made it to the streets in the February/March timeframe.

I agree but I checked their website and found no reference to the bubbles.
Below is what I'm talking about. Notice that all these are from the last few weeks. These are reviews specific to Extang covers of the same design from various sources (again, Extang makes these for Honda)....

Attachments

·
Banned
2,024 Posts
Had my Ridgeline 2 months. Dealer replaced first cover put on at purchase due to bubbles. 2nd cover looked good in the covered service drive but had severe bubbling after a 45 minute drive home. Dealer has a 3rd cover sitting in the sun at the dealership testing before install. If it bubbles we are going to plan B, another manufacturer.

I have no faith in the Honda accessory cover now. What happens when real summer heat hits it? I’m going to push for a Bakflip MX4 that I had on my previous Toyota Tacoma. No adhesive to let loose in the sun.
I wonder if they changed the cover material. I have a Extang Encore for 3 years with no issues.
@Dnodoz @MtMan

Yes, this is a huge issue with many car manufactures. They will go to a product manufacture and ask them to build them a part or cover and want the best price they can get and many times manufactures will change things to cut costs. I’ve seen this happen many times before. Car manufactures want their name on the part but want the lowest price there is and quality can suffer.

Many times the aftermarket options are better quality and materials than what factory option parts can be. This isn’t always the case but happens more times than not. I know many like buying a new vehicle and getting every option Honda offers but it’s not always the best choice sometimes. For ex, Honda offers running boards for the Ridgeline but they stop short and don’t run the full length of the truck! This is because they are using Pilot running boards and they didn’t want to make a specific “longer” running boards for the Ridgeline. So, yes, if you have a Ridgeline with factory running boards, they are from a Honda Pilot. Cheaper for Honda but doesn’t always get the job done. This is just one instance that relates to what I’m talking about with oem manufactures cutting costs. It’s can happen and will unfortunately.

·
Registered
2017 RTL-E
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Extang said they don't expect any more problems going forward.
But did they acknowledge that they have/had a quality issue? If they admitted that there was an issue then we should be in better shape on replacements since they should have recalled all inventory and replaced it with known good product. But if it was just a general blow-off "Oh that shouldn't happen again" statement then they might not have changed anything.
I bought mine using my American Express with their purchase protection benefit. I might exercise this benefit for the first time if Honda doesn't get this resolved in the next few days.

·
Banned
2,024 Posts
I bought mine using my American Express with their purchase protection benefit. I might exercise this benefit for the first time if Honda doesn't get this resolved in the next few days.
You can certainly do that and many don’t know the protection that they have. If you do, Amex will give you a full refund because they are always in the buyers favor. They are one of the best in these type of cases. Unfortunately, many people make a living of doing this fraudulently.

·
Registered
2017 RTL-E
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
@Dnodoz @MtMan
Many times the aftermarket options are better quality and materials than what factory option parts can be.
See my post above yours with all the reviews. Most of these were aftermarket purchases. I agree that what you're saying can happen, but products from Extang sold through retailers like Amazon are having the same issue.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts