Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
What'll probably happen there is the card issuer will credit your account while they investigate as a gesture to make you feel like they're on your side. Then, they'll side with the merchant and restore the charge. Been there, done that. ;)
Yup, while I've had AMEX side with me a few times, more often than not the merchant wins. I charge a ton on my AMEX and thought that might help, nope. My wife was duped by some happilyfamily website that basically stole $400.00 from me before I realized it.

I keep disputing the charges now just to make the merchant keep justifying.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We put our Honda tonneau cover on yesterday. I just bought it last week. It was easy to install (got a torque wrench at Harbor Freight for $10 by the way). I pulled the truck out in the driveway to wash it. It was sunny and warm and I think I'm seeing a couple of bumpspop up in the very first section. Also one of the lower straps came without a snap that you'd snap on to the under side of the lid. I'll wait a bit to see if the bumps are sort of normal since they're only on one section or not. If if bubbles get more noticeable over time, I'll take it back to the dealer. View attachment 411945
Both of mine have had the exact issue and look.

We put our Honda tonneau cover on yesterday. I just bought it last week. It was easy to install (got a torque wrench at Harbor Freight for $10 by the way). I pulled the truck out in the driveway to wash it. It was sunny and warm and I think I'm seeing a couple of bumpspop up in the very first section. Also one of the lower straps came without a snap that you'd snap on to the under side of the lid. I'll wait a bit to see if the bumps are sort of normal since they're only on one section or not. If if bubbles get more noticeable over time, I'll take it back to the dealer. View attachment 411945
I am convinced this is result of the foam blocks under first panel resting on top of this last panel after manufacturing and in package. The first two panels weigh at least 30-40 lbs.

·
Administrator
19,520 Posts
For those of you who had "bubbles" or delamination, how soon did this occur or was it that way out of the box?

So far, mine remains perfectly flat after a couple of weeks, but it hasn't been "hot" yet, although the cover has been "hot" to the touch while it sits out in the sun at work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'll now introduce part of my story that I left out. I'm actually on my third cover in a month (in my original post I said I'm on my second one). I'll explain: The local dealer installed the second one since the first one had one bubble in the rear panel. My truck was already in their shop for the 2017 transmission issue. When I got home I noticed not bubbles but actual "humps" in the same place you're showing them. What I'm calling bubbles is just the outer layer of material delaminating from the center "board" material. They are "squishy" to the touch and deflect easily. The humps were distortions of the entire panel, as shown below. I suspect they are from overtightening the clamps causing too much downward force on the attachment points or from too much weight being applied to the folded cover where the bumper pads rest on this panel. Or maybe they are from the shipping box being inadequate.
Water would pool in the lower areas, but I can't explain how the humps ended up higher than the original material. So I took this one back for cover #3 that now has 9 bubbles and is the one in my original photo. Since this was a different issue I didn't want to muddy the water by throwing it into the mix, but I will now since others may also be having this same issue (and may be what's happened to yours).
View attachment 411982 View attachment 411983
Both of mine looked exactly same. 101F part.

For those of you who had "bubbles" or delamination, how soon did this occur or was it that way out of the box?

So far, mine remains perfectly flat after a couple of weeks, but it hasn't been "hot" yet, although the cover has been "hot" to the touch while it sits out in the sun at work.
Out of the box! The humps look ok when cool outside. Look bad when warm!😡

·
Registered
2017 RTL-E
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·

You've seen all my posts, but I'll summarize. Date is when installed.
  • Tonneau #1, March 5: Looked fine until I noticed a bubble after 22 days. It may have been there sooner, but I'm pretty observant when it comes to my truck. I'm in SC if that matters. We've had days in the 80s.
  • Tonneau #2, March 29: Owned it for 2 days so I never saw any bubbles. It was just the warped up panel on this one.
  • Tonneau #3, March 31: Looked fine out of the box. Had bubbles on on all 3 panels within 5-6 days. Drove down to the Florida Keys 2 days after installation, so very warm and sunny. Back in SC now, the bubbles shrink but don't completely disappear in lower temps (50-60 over night).
Since my last update, my Honda case manager called me and it sounded like he was looking at all my pictures for the first time as we spoke. Bizarrely, I had to explain multiple times that it is a Honda OEM tonneau even though I included a photo of the item/serial number sticker. He asked me to email him the original receipt from when I bought it from Bernardi Auto, which I did yesterday. I also spoke with my local Honda parts manager. He said his Honda corporate guy will be at the dealership next week and he's going to ask him about all this. He knows I'm not in a rush to get this replaced with Tonneau #4 as long as it eventually gets replaced with a good one or refunded altogether.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Mine started right after we put it on while it was out in the sun.

I called the dealer yesterday and they said the new cover was in. I went in to swap it out and it wasn't in. They all have their heads up their butts there. The parts dept folks at the Honda Dealership aint the brightest bulbs in the bunch if you know what I mean. At any rate, I talked to a 'manager'. The covers are on backorder now. It's been 8 days since it was ordered so hopefully Extang is fixing the problem. We'll see.

·
Registered
52 Posts
OK picked up my new, replacement OEM bed cover from the Honda Dealership. This one is a lower profile and seems to be made much, much better. I'll park it outside tomorrow. It will be hot and sunny so we'll see. But you can tell they used a ton of glue because I can see a tiny bit here and there at the seams of the cover around the edges. I'm really hoping the problem is now fixed! Also, I was able to keep the hardware I had already and just replace the top. They will send the actual cover back with the new hardware that came with the replacement.

·
Registered
120 Posts
OK picked up my new, replacement OEM bed cover from the Honda Dealership. This one is a lower profile and seems to be made much, much better. I'll park it outside tomorrow. It will be hot and sunny so we'll see. But you can tell they used a ton of glue because I can see a tiny bit here and there at the seams of the cover around the edges. I'm really hoping the problem is now fixed! Also, I was able to keep the hardware I had already and just replace the top. They will send the actual cover back with the new hardware that came with the replacement.
Pick up my 2021 black edition last month and just sent it in to get ceramic Pro Silver package plus. They are going to put it on the OEM cover also. So let’s see how that going to hold up.

·
Registered
2017 RTL-E
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 · (Edited)
Excellent news. Thanks. But you say it's a slightly different design now? This would be huge. Can you please post the Honda item number that's on the sticker? You likely know this, but it would look similar to "08Z07-T6Z-101F". Hopefully one of the last 4 characters is different, which would indicate a new design that might not be garbage this time. Pics of your new tonneau would be appreciated, too!
I edited this post for clarity.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Excellent news. Thanks. But you say it's a slightly different design now? This would be huge. Can you please post the Honda item number that's on the sticker? You likely know this, but it would look similar to "08Z07-T6Z-101F". Hopefully one of the last 4 characters is different, which would indicate a new design that might not be garbage this time. Pics of your new tonneau would be appreciated, too!
I edited this post for clarity.

The design is similar but the entire cover is slimmer in height. It also feels more solid and hard for some reason. It still fits on the same brackets. I'll get a picture of it up later on.

·
Registered
2017 RTL-E
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
OK -here are some photos. I think the biggest difference is that it's a bit narrower in height. It feels different too though. Harder or better glued or something. Just more solid.
Thanks. Yeah, that's the same item number as the one I have. I'm still going to wait until either Honda Customer Care or my local Honda rep confirms that the issue is resolved (they both said they'd get back to me and I just pinged both). I gotta say, though, that this has been one of the worst customer service experiences I've ever had. Honda Customer Care hasn't called me in over a week, and when I call them they say that I can only get information from my case manager who never picks up his phone. All I want is what I paid for-- a non-defective product. Either that or my money back. I still have a few weeks left before my Amex purchase protection expires, but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

·
Banned
2,024 Posts
You've seen all my posts, but I'll summarize. Date is when installed.
  • Tonneau #1, March 5: Looked fine until I noticed a bubble after 22 days. It may have been there sooner, but I'm pretty observant when it comes to my truck. I'm in SC if that matters. We've had days in the 80s.
  • Tonneau #2, March 29: Owned it for 2 days so I never saw any bubbles. It was just the warped up panel on this one.
  • Tonneau #3, March 31: Looked fine out of the box. Had bubbles on on all 3 panels within 5-6 days. Drove down to the Florida Keys 2 days after installation, so very warm and sunny. Back in SC now, the bubbles shrink but don't completely disappear in lower temps (50-60 over night).
Since my last update, my Honda case manager called me and it sounded like he was looking at all my pictures for the first time as we spoke. Bizarrely, I had to explain multiple times that it is a Honda OEM tonneau even though I included a photo of the item/serial number sticker. He asked me to email him the original receipt from when I bought it from Bernardi Auto, which I did yesterday. I also spoke with my local Honda parts manager. He said his Honda corporate guy will be at the dealership next week and he's going to ask him about all this. He knows I'm not in a rush to get this replaced with Tonneau #4 as long as it eventually gets replaced with a good one or refunded altogether.
Thank you again for keeping all these details! I'm still working on this and will reply when I have more info. When you are free again, give me a ring.

·
Administrator
19,520 Posts
@Tayalynn, how's your cover holding up so far?

Mine's still flat after three weeks so far. I'm glad I ordered it when I did - I see College Hills recently went up $50 on the price.

·
Registered
2017 RTL-E
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 · (Edited)
FINALLY!! I got all I needed to know by calling Extang and popping my question before telling them it's the Honda OEM tonneau (last time they immediately transferred me to Truck Hero and they provided no useful info and to take it up with Honda). The Extang guy was extremely helpful and honest. Extang acknowledged that they had a manufacturing issue that caused the bubbles and that they have corrected the problem. He also added that they are doing additional quality testing to ensure only good product leaves their factory. When I asked him whether I should wait a few weeks to replace mine for the third time (so any Honda inventory is purged or sold off to unsuspecting Ridgeline owners), he said that these are drop shipped to Honda dealers and Honda should have little/no bad inventory on the shelf. This nightmare might be over. I'm going to contact my local Honda parts guy and ask him to order one for me, hopefully for the last time.

Now I need to call off the dogs (I initiated an Amex Purchase Protection case yesterday) and let my Honda Customer Care case manager know he can continue to ignore my case indefinitely since today marks two weeks since he last called me.

I work for a $6 billion manufacturer. I get it that s**t happens with quality every now and then, so I have no hard feelings towards Extang. But Honda, however, can kiss my ass for totally leaving me swinging in the wind throughout this ordeal.

·
Registered
52 Posts
@Tayalynn, how's your cover holding up so far?

Mine's still flat after three weeks so far. I'm glad I ordered it when I did - I see College Hills recently went up $50 on the price.
I asked Holmes Honda if they offered a military discount on parts and they did! I was shocked. So I got $100 off the price of the cover.

·
Registered
52 Posts
FINALLY!! I got all I needed to know by calling Extang and popping my question before telling them it's the Honda OEM tonneau (last time they immediately transferred me to Truck Hero and they provided no useful info and to take it up with Honda). The Extang guy was extremely helpful and honest. Extang acknowledged that they had a manufacturing issue that caused the bubbles and that they have corrected the problem. He also added that they are doing additional quality testing to ensure only good product leaves their factory. When I asked him whether I should wait a few weeks to replace mine for the third time (so any Honda inventory is purged or sold off to unsuspecting Ridgeline owners), he said that these are drop shipped to Honda dealers and Honda should have little/no bad inventory on the shelf. This nightmare might be over. I'm going to contact my local Honda parts guy and ask him to order one for me, hopefully for the last time.

Now I need to call off the dogs (I initiated an Amex Purchase Protection case yesterday) and let my Honda Customer Care case manager know he can continue to ignore my case indefinitely since today marks two weeks since he last called me.

I work for a $6 billion manufacturer. I get it that s**t happens with quality every now and then, so I have no hard feelings towards Extang. But Honda, however, can kiss my ass for totally leaving me swinging in the wind throughout this ordeal.
Yes, I don't think the Honda dealer I went to had any at all in stock. They order as they put them on so old stock shouldn't be a problem! I'm super glad to hear this news. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,632 Posts
Mine started right after we put it on while it was out in the sun.

I called the dealer yesterday and they said the new cover was in. I went in to swap it out and it wasn't in. They all have their heads up their butts there. The parts dept folks at the Honda Dealership aint the brightest bulbs in the bunch if you know what I mean. At any rate, I talked to a 'manager'. The covers are on backorder now. It's been 8 days since it was ordered so hopefully Extang is fixing the problem. We'll see.
Sounds exactly like my Honda and Subaru dealerships. All the good help left long ago, during Covid.

Reactions: Tayalynn
61 - 80 of 95 Posts