Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys, below is my second tonneau in a month. The one in the picture was installed one week ago and was new out of the box. These bubbles show up when it gets hot out in the sun. My first one had the same issue and Honda was kind enough to exchange it. I saw on the Toyota Tundra owners club that some guys are having the same problem with NEW tonneaus and they appear to be made by the same manufacturer (they look exactly the same). Have any of you run into this issue with tonneaus purchased in the last month or two? I don't want to exchange it again right away for fear of getting yet another one that'll have these bubbles.
When I press them the material flexes easily and you can feel/hear that it's contacting an adhesive underneath. When folded the back side does the same thing when it warms up. For what this thing cost it should not be having this problem.
View attachment 411778
i purchased my 2021 ridgeline and my tonneau cover is bubbling again. I’ve had 3 OEM now. I’m getting ready to call Honda to complain. I’ve had their tonneau cover on my 2017 and never had this problem. They need to recall just for this issue. Refund money or figure out the problem. Very disappointed

·
Registered
2017 RTL-E
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
i purchased my 2021 ridgeline and my tonneau cover is bubbling again. I’ve had 3 OEM now. I’m getting ready to call Honda to complain. I’ve had their tonneau cover on my 2017 and never had this problem. They need to recall just for this issue. Refund money or figure out the problem. Very disappointed
Please call Honda Customer Care. For real, they need to be hearing from us. But don't get your hopes up. I called and filed a complaint on April 12 and received a case number. Ten days later on April 22 I got a call from a case manager. He sounded very confused about the whole thing and even asked whether it was actually a Honda OEM cover (as if he didn't know Honda sold them). He asked for the receipt, which I sent the next day. This was the one and only time Honda Customer Care has called me about this. It's been over a month since that call. My local Honda parts manager has been slightly more helpful, but I've tried to leave him alone as much as possible since I did not buy it from him. He now has my fourth tonneau on order since the quality issue has been addressed according to Extang.
I did speak with a different Honda Customer Care agent a couple of weeks ago (my case manager has not picked up or returned my calls, and I won't even tell you how many times I've tried to get a hold of him). This agent suggested I leave the case open since he saw that my case manager was working on it, albeit slowly. My original complaint included a refund request since this has cost me more time than the thing is worth. I'm not exaggerating when I say that this has been the absolute worst customer experience I have ever encountered, and I'm in my mid-40s. Honda has given me no reason to believe they give a sh*t about this.

·
Administrator
20,132 Posts
There are people that care at Honda, but they're higher up the corporate latter and well-shielded from the general public.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Please call Honda Customer Care. For real, they need to be hearing from us. But don't get your hopes up. I called and filed a complaint on April 12 and received a case number. Ten days later on April 22 I got a call from a case manager. He sounded very confused about the whole thing and even asked whether it was actually a Honda OEM cover (as if he didn't know Honda sold them). He asked for the receipt, which I sent the next day. This was the one and only time Honda Customer Care has called me about this. It's been over a month since that call. My local Honda parts manager has been slightly more helpful, but I've tried to leave him alone as much as possible since I did not buy it from him. He now has my fourth tonneau on order since the quality issue has been addressed according to Extang.
I did speak with a different Honda Customer Care agent a couple of weeks ago (my case manager has not picked up or returned my calls, and I won't even tell you how many times I've tried to get a hold of him). This agent suggested I leave the case open since he saw that my case manager was working on it, albeit slowly. My original complaint included a refund request since this has cost me more time than the thing is worth. I'm not exaggerating when I say that this has been the absolute worst customer experience I have ever encountered, and I'm in my mid-40s. Honda has given me no reason to believe they give a sh*t about this.
Funny I get this email today!

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 RTL-E
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Just an update since it's been a while. It's now been five months since I ordered my first OEM tonneau from Bernardi. Through my local dealer, I replaced it twice in March and April, and I'm still driving around with the bubbles in unit #3. I called my local dealer yesterday for an update, and he said there's still no ETA for tonneau #4. He said he put in the order on April 23, so three months ago, adding that he has a total of three on backorder due to the bubbling issue. I am not bitching at my local parts manager since he's the only Honda employee who seems to give a s**t about my experience. Also, I didn't originally buy it from him.

Honda Customer Care hasn't called or emailed me since the one and only call I received 3 months ago (when the case manager called to collect info and was confused about whether the tonneau was even a Honda accessory). The case was opened 100 days ago. I have emailed my case manager at least 10 times and he has never replied. I have, however, called customer care and spoken with others a few times. Last week I told an agent I just want a refund since it's been 5 months and I have yet to enjoy a non-defective product. She said there would not be a refund and that it's a warranty issue and to keep waiting. I asked about escalating the issue and she said a manager would call me. It's been a week and no one has called.

At this point, what irks me the most is Honda is burning through my warranty time (which is part of what we pay for in the price of the product). So when I get the replacement, should it fail prematurely but after the end of the original warranty (February in my case), then I'll have zero recourse and I'll just be out $800. When I expressed this to my local parts manager he told me not to worry about that and he'd take care of me, so if true it's paying off to not be dumping my frustrations on him.

·
Administrator
20,132 Posts

·
Registered
2017 RTL-E
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Jeez, what a display of the value of being part of this community, and from an admin no less. Thanks buddy.

·
Administrator
20,132 Posts
You asked for a pointer and I gave you one - the same tool I used to find the information I was looking for. I'm not going to contact Aoyama San on your behalf. ;)

·
Registered
2017 RTL-E
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
You asked for a pointer and I gave you one - the same tool I used to find the information I was looking for. I'm not going to contact Aoyama San on your behalf. ;)
Alright then. I was assuming there was some kind of mid-level and hard-to-find email address for someone a notch or two above customer service. But yeah, I can easily send this into their executive stratosphere and see what happens. Usually the people on the bottom and the top are the ones who care the least about issues like this, but I have nothing to lose at this point.

·
Administrator
20,132 Posts
I honestly tried to work my way up "the right way". No one at Honda Customer Service would help. I reached out to a few PR contacts that I know from media events and they all told me that customer service issues were outside their jurisdiction. I reached out to the VP of Honda Customer Service and never got a response. I finally emailed the CEO of AHMC and was promptly contacted by a manager of HCS with an apology and offer. I declined the offer and made a demand which was approved and settled.

The batteries in my crystal ball aren't fully charged, but if I were to take a wild guess on your outcome, I'd say you'll eventually get a gift card in the amount you paid for the tonneau cover good toward any purchase at a Honda dealer rather than a refund.

·
Registered
2017 RTL-E
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 · (Edited)
I'm at the Honda dealership right now for some scheduled maintenance. While waiting, I went to say hello to the parts manager who ordered my fourth tonneau back in mid-April. I had no expectations for any changes in the tonneau situation, so I wasn't surprised when all he said was "Hey, I'll be right back" and disappeared back into the stock room. But in an unbelievable coincidence, he came back to say that they just unloaded my new tonneau off the delivery truck this morning and he wanted to confirm that it was, in fact, here (I can't tell, nor do I really care, whether he's BSing me about when it got here). He said he'd have a tech install it while my truck is in the back but I told him to please let me install it myself (they overtightened the clamps and warped the crap out of tonneau #2). So this odyssey might finally be over. Once I get my truck back I'll pull up to his dock and pop the new one on.

Edit one hour later: Ha! I just got home with my new tonneau! I'll be watching this one like a hawk for any bubbling, but I'm hopeful Extang got their act together after their quality issue that had to cost them dearly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm at the Honda dealership right now for some scheduled maintenance. While waiting, I went to say hello to the parts manager who ordered my fourth tonneau back in mid-April. I had no expectations for any changes in the tonneau situation, so I wasn't surprised when all he said was "Hey, I'll be right back" and disappeared back into the stock room. But in an unbelievable coincidence, he came back to say that they just unloaded my new tonneau off the delivery truck this morning and he wanted to confirm that it was, in fact, here (I can't tell, nor do I really care, whether he's BSing me about when it got here). He said he'd have a tech install it while my truck is in the back but I told him to please let me install it myself (they overtightened the clamps and warped the crap out of tonneau #2). So this odyssey might finally be over. Once I get my truck back I'll pull up to his dock and pop the new one on.

Edit one hour later: Ha! I just got home with my new tonneau! I'll be watching this one like a hawk for any bubbling, but I'm hopeful Extang got their act together after their quality issue that had to cost them dearly.
Look forward for updates. Hot sun for a few days is the key!

·
Premium Member
2021 Obsidian Blue RTL
192 Posts

How has the 4th tonneau held up? Any issues?
Also, was there a new part number on this one?

·
Registered
2017 RTL-E
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
How has the 4th tonneau held up? Any issues?
Also, was there a new part number on this one?
I missed your comment until just now. So far so good, but I haven't had my Ridgeline out all that much in direct sun. I'm watching it VERY closely, and so far there is no evidence of bubbling. I had to haul some lumber this past weekend so I folded it for the first time and expected divots to form on the bottom panel, but I don't see any. I'm considering bridging the bed under the tonneau with some 1x1 aluminum angle where the weight is applied when the tonneau is stowed to try to prevent those divots from forming (but maybe this new one won't do that??).

I just went out and looked. The item number is 08Z07-T6Z-101F, and I believe this is the same item number as the ones before (so not a new item, just the same item hopefully not built like crap this time).

81 - 99 of 99 Posts