Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new buffer and wax.

Any buffer recommendations (size,speeds,etc.)???

I have only used Meguiars wax, I have heard of "Zaino" and others that may be better. Any advice???

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I was just about to post the same question, for the buffer anyway. Tired of waxing by hand, specially the Ody. I've looked at Ziano wax, heard it was the best but researching it sure seems to be a pain to put on, lots of initial steps. Think I'll just stick with regular old Meg. Gold or their new Techwax, probably just a marketing scam. I've applied both and don't notice a difference. Biggest factor has to be just doing it a few times a year what ever you use they all seem to be the same to my untrained eye and I've tried alot of brands over the years.

As for the buffers, it's new to me. Always heard danger of burning the paint but that may be old school before the random orbital buffers came to market. I think any buffer that's orbital and a speed of 2400 rpm should be good, I think higher speeds just add more danger to building up heat from friction so I'd want slower rpms. Then of course there's what type of pads to use, no idea, haven't looked into that much yet.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I've got a Craftsman buffer (10"), it will vibrate my arm off after awhile. Got a foam pad for applying the wax recently and really like it with that. I hadn't used it in a couple years and was really happy with the end results (had been doing the cars by hand). The downside is the foam absorbs a ton of the wax. I was saved the task of trying to clean the foam when it caught a sharp edge on my old 240Z's chrome and ripped.

I've been using the meguires techwax that was mentioned. If I remember right the meguires gold stuff was a bit trickier to apply as it was one of those that you don't let dry, wipe it on a small area and immediately wipe it off. That procedure doesn't lend itself to a buffer real well (thus my several years of hand buffing).

I've used the zaino stuff before too. It is good stuff. I got tired of the steps and mixing and things. I do remember being amazed at how the shine just kept getting better with each coat. Even with multiple coats it didn't seem like it got a real deep gloss like some other products. Some seem to do deep while others do a crisp hard look.

Vertrkr is correct, the burning the paint problem only applies to the high speed polishers. The orbital buffers don't spin fast enough to generage that kind of heat and you really aren't supposed to put much pressure on them.

-Trevor

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you read enough of the auto fanatic detailer forums, you'll find that most folks use and love the Porter Cable 7424 dual action polisher. I use it now and really like it--only wished it had a throttle trigger (RPMs are set prior to switching the unit on). It's smallish (5-6") but can hit upwards of 6,000 rpm without damaging the paint. Check it out here:

http://www.properautocare.com/porcabpolac.html

So far, I'm falling in love with the Klasse All-in-One polish/glaze for my silver RL. Easy on, easy off, no dust, no rubber stains. I'm a happy camper!

Aloha,
Keoni

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
I have a box of Zaino stuff that I ordered but it got here long before my Ridgeline is scheduled to arrive. I have never used these products but I have heard good things. I will post pics as soon as I can (no truck until 2 weeks from now).

I may have to try the orbital polisher on my wife's Camry. Better to use an older car to get technique down before unleashing it on the Ridge.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The PC DA is the way to go for polishing. Lowes sells them but you have to order the velcro mounting plate and foam pads from properautocare. When you pick a wax to put on it's a good idea to get one that doesn't put white marks on your black trim. Luckily the ridgeline doesnj't have as much trim as my f-150

·
Registered
993 Posts
I've heard that paint on a vehicle fresh from the factory is still curing so don't wax or take a power buffer to it for like a month. Take it for what it's worth. I won't be touching the surface execept for washing for a couple of months. Plus it's in the garage most of the time, which is the best protection for any vehicle.

·
Registered
578 Posts
You really don't need a buffer on a new vehical.
I would suggeset using some Zaino products. They are easy to apply and take off and last a REALLY long time with great protection.

Buffer should be reserved for when the vehical is older and there are more damage to the paint.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Question:

it seems that dust and pollen is attracted to a new vehicle or a freshly waxed one like iron to a magnet. Is there an anti-static wax/ spray or cloth that will help repel this stuff?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Zaino products claim to attract less dust. While I don't know if it "attracts" less dust, I do know that if my car is dusty, it's much easier to wipe off.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Nthnfancy said:
You can buy one of those california dusters they work pretty good on dust and pollen
I saw those in the store but was not convinved t hey would work well. I mean when you see, "As seen on TV" my antenna goes up. I mean in my experience things never work as well in real life as they do on the tube. I tried things like Auri the car wax, which was mediocor at best and Oxy Clean. Trust me, Oxy clean is great for making water fizz, but t hat is about it.

Then again, for 9 bucks how bad could it be. :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the advice,
I live in Sarasota, so I did the 45 min. drive (Sorry Keoni :rolleyes: ) to properautocare.com ("Classic Motoring Accessories") in Tampa. Friendly staff, large and clean warehouse and storefront. 10% Discount for walk-in customers :D
I did inquire about a discount for R.O.C. members although they were not able to do this. I was very satisfied after speaking to Jon Freiberg (owners son and "Car Detailer" for 15 yrs.) about his recomendations for my Ridgeline (Blue). He said this was the "clay, polish, wax" combo that he would suggest although sometimes I usually try to stick to the "same product line".

Porter Cable w/ 6 inch counterweight (they sell one that I had already bought-$100.00) Everyone is adamant that I (novice) cannot screw up my paint with the PC and correct pads although I will experiment on the CRV before it is sold.

Prices Before Discount on his recomendations:

$59.95-7424 Accessory Pad Kit w/ 6"Velcro Plate (also includes 1 red, 2 white and 1 orange pad) White for Polish, Red for Wax and Orange for light scratches.

$29.95-Blackfire Poly Clay Kit (should work nicely although understood it may/or may not be needed on the new paint job) Applied by hand.

$13.95-P21S Paintwork Polish/Cleanser

$39.96-FMJ "Menzerna" (Product of Germany) Sealant w/ free bottle of high gloss Menzerna Acrylic Shield Detailing Spray

$14.95-Pad Cleaning Spur To re-surface and clean pads. Looks like a great tool.

$9.95-1 small California Dash Duster (only thing I had a chance to use so far, works great)

$39.95-Best Towel Kit (Viper Microfibre w/Big Blue towel for drying) Great set of towels if you need some new ones like I do.

I also bought a video tape , Meguiars Deep Pile Cotton Wash Mitt (they also sell sponges and microfibre mitts, I may use cheap throw away sponges in the future as all of these items are said to "hold dirt" even when cleaned) and Foam tire applicators.

After discount-$221.98
Well, this will get me started. Jon said the Menzerna wax is excellent, slippery and "sheets water". If you read about it on their site, it sounds like good stuff!
Oh yeah, I already have glass cleaner, Lexol leather conditioner/cleaner, Vinylex by Lexol , Meguiars Shampoo and Tire Shine. I may need some microfibre applicator pads for the Lexol, etc. if they are not included in any of the "kits". I have some terry cloth pads made by Lexol that leave a lint trail :mad: . I also may p-up some pad cleaner although Jon uses Tide granules.

***Anyone have suggestions on pad maintenance/cleaning or buffing?

Any picture posts may be a couple months away :)

http://properautocare.com/

·
Registered
578 Posts
emgun said:
I saw those in the store but was not convinved t hey would work well. I mean when you see, "As seen on TV" my antenna goes up. I mean in my experience things never work as well in real life as they do on the tube. I tried things like Auri the car wax, which was mediocor at best and Oxy Clean. Trust me, Oxy clean is great for making water fizz, but t hat is about it.

Then again, for 9 bucks how bad could it be. :)

Actually it does work very well. I've had one for years, used it on all my cars including my S2000.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i been in the auto detaling business for 10 years i have used every wax on the market from 3m to meuigires to mothers to zaino brothers by far the best wax i have used is a brand called collinite you can check them out at collinite.com for their products i am not affiliated with them just a believer in their products i use their collinite #915 marque d' elegance and their collinite #885 fleetwax for my boat that you can use on cars also, i picked my ridgeline up last month and i plan on detaling her next monthi do a wax in the spring and then one again in the fall this way my cars are protected from the salt and snow

1 - 15 of 15 Posts