Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twenty some of years ago when I lived in Florida it was almost custom to drive around with a mesh screen (bug guard) over your front end. August and September seemed to be the worst month. Anyway we are taking a two week trip from PA down to NC and then on to the Keys and back. I can't find these bug guards anywhere. Anyone happen to know where I can get one? They were pretty generic in size and attached with a small bungee and plastic "S" hook in the wheel well.

·
Premium Member
11,421 Posts
Some have used screening behind the front bumper and in front of the radiator.
You can use some stock fiberglass, etc. screen for this purpose.
Will help keep the radiator and cooler fins clean.
Much easier to install if you pull the front bumper assembly.

Turtle Wax puts out a bug cleaner that contains a liquid wax. You can use it to make it easier to remove bugs from the front of the car the next time you are 'hit'. It adds some paint protection besides.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Good luck finding the screen, can't help you with a search there.

Whenever I travel through bug infested areas (NC too by the way) a good coating of Turtle Wax paste is liberally applied on the front end. Or, I put my leather nose mask on. Kind of a PITA to install but the mask works best for me, no scratches, milky paint, etc. Would you consider a nose mask? It has a mesh part that does cover the radiator area.

Bad bug joke here but I think of it every time the bugs are popping....
What is the last thing to go through a bugs mind as they are being hit by the windshield? Their A-hole.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I think the intended purpose of these bug screens was to keep them from fowling the radiator and/or AC condenser fins. I don't think they offered much protection to the paint.
A radiator plugged with insect carcasses can lose much of its' cooling capacity.
It would be nice if automakers offered an easily removable & cleanable bug screen in front of the radiator. Don't think we'll ever see that happen though.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I used one of those one size fits all s-hook screens on our '93 mini van.
Other than Cloud Rider(expensive) I haven't seen any real grill guards.Especially us with the Honda excessory grille.
I slipped what is called pet sreen(doudled) in between the radiator[and coolers] and the grille using the bolts on the truck and zip ties.I have done this to all family cars for years.
If you rememove the top plastic piece between the core support and the grille and the lower splash sheilds. The screen can be slipped in and secured without removing the front bumper.
I remeber being in Florida once when it was love bug season.Luckily I had a rental car.

·
Premium Member
11,421 Posts
I think Rich's idea is a great solution. And a cheap one too. I had Colgan Bras on my vehicles before. They work well, but are cumbersome to deal with and you spend time cleaning them too. Plus, they have to be removed periodically to clean the paint. They do have netted sections to minimize bugs getting into the radiator, etc.

The other option is a clear bra, or just buy the raw material and place it on strategic parts of the front end to protect paint, lamp lenses, etc. if you don't want to pay for a full installation or work a full kit over part of the hood, etc. ..but they will do nothing to keep bugs out of the radiator, etc.

Lots of options, or combinations to choose from. Lots of bugs in summer and fall where I live. I find waxing up the bumper and using Rich's drop screen idea an economical and effective solution. I did it when I was upgrading my grille, but as Rich says, you can drop it in.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Love bugs are killing me this year. Wash truck, 5 mile drive, covered in bugs.
LOL
Sorry, just had to laugh. I spent two years in Gainesville (college) 86-88. Great state, love the local bass fishing. But boy did I hate the summer heat and love bugs. I think I spent almost every Saturday trekking down to Flagler Beach and every Sunday washing the thousand of dead bugs off the car.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I use RainX on my windshield and that makes cleaning bugs guts from the glass easy so I was wondering if anyone ever tried it on bumpers, grill, etc? If not RainX there's got to be a wax or similar product for paint?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Use is on mine also, its basically silicone.......I think. Maybe its worth a shot, can't imagine it would be harmful to the paint

·
Registered
1 Posts
In the same predicament as you. Live in FL and cannot find anything on-line other than the cheap as hell rectangular screen with bungees with S-hooks. It totally sucks. Bought one from Amazon and it tore as soon as I stretched it. Good luck!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Lived in FL myself for 15 years. I def don't miss those stinkin' love bugs!
Solution: I had a lot of customizing done by Melissa Ames, owner of "Crystal River Cap & Truck Accessories."
She custom made a bug screen with "S" hooks on elastic cording that the OP was had and now looking for. A perfect fit and the price was sooo affordable. She also custom made a bug screen for a friend's '06 Civic SI. Another perfect fit.
I miss hanging out with Melissa, what great gal. Consider contacting her, she might work out something with you.
P.S. Please tell her that Robbie with the '06 Red Ridgeline says Hello!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts