Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm a newbie, had my blue RTL w/MR for about 2wks now. I've not accessorized yet, but am wanting to add a bug deflector. I have seen the Honda version, and the Lund one as well...quite a price difference between them. In your experiences, which is the best for the money, and which looks and works the best?

LeXRidge

·
Registered
70 Posts
Aaah, Thank you.Ive been reading postings from other RL'ers and since the Blues are so cool we tend to keep a low profile. Welcome LeXRidge. Your Blue RL is tops and shows youve got good taste. Enjoy. Hope you send Pics soon. I need to research deflector more for protection from chips. Not fussy about oems. Would imagine lund makes good 'wraps'- wish there were neutral ones to check out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have the Honda OEM deflector on my Ridge and it does absolutely nothing. I would suggest to wait till the after-market deflectors come out. The Honda OEM one is worthless...................

Good Luck

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I have the Lund bugshield - I like it better than the Honda OEM one - Steve's Vans is where I got mine. Drove 780 miles today and only 5 bug hits ( 4 real juicy ones though)

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
chicago said:
I have the Honda OEM deflector on my Ridge and it does absolutely nothing. I would suggest to wait till the after-market deflectors come out. The Honda OEM one is worthless...................

Good Luck
I have OEM & it works well?? Solid as a rock thru the car wash... do not seem to have window bugs... plenty in the grill!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I just got my Silver Ridgeline two weeks ago. Prior to the Ridgeline, I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a bug shield. It was fairly low profile and used little rubber "dots" that had to be fixed to the hood to protect it. They turn out to be a pain in the neck because they can fall off due to heat or a car wash.

I know Lund makes one that stands up higher, is easier to clean behind and doesn't require those rubber stand-offs. I think it is the Lund Interceptor model. I think this thread has a picture. Personally, I would go for that model based on my experience.

--AJ

·
Registered
275 Posts
Can someone who has a Lund bug deflector please post some pictures? I've seen 1 very closeup and it would be nice to get a couple shots from front and side to show how it looks with the lines of the truck.
Thanks!! :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
LeXRidge said:
Hi,
I'm a newbie, had my blue RTL w/MR for about 2wks now. I've not accessorized yet, but am wanting to add a bug deflector. I have seen the Honda version, and the Lund one as well...quite a price difference between them. In your experiences, which is the best for the money, and which looks and works the best?

LeXRidge
Hey LeXRidge,

Greetings from Parkersburg. Nice choice of colors on your RL. I am going to get the Honda bug deflector Friday when I am at Wooster, OH. I will report how it installs and looks after next weekend.

In the meantime, enjoy your new RL!

Honda Guy

·
Registered
13 Posts
chicago said:

Good Luck
I gonna disagree with you Chicago. I have the Honda bug deflector and it works just fine. I am not going to say it works any better or worse than any others. It is much more expensive than anything I have seen elsewhere, that much is for sure. IMO, it is better built than the others but not sure if that is worth the price difference. The same holds true for the window vents, works fine, better built and more expensive but, again, not sure if the price difference is worth it.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
The deflector I have doesn't work well. I wonder if anybody here has gone front nose mask after going with a deflector. Bugs aren't the problem, just rock chips. I ask because I'm assuming the goofey plastic standoff placed in the centre would have to be removed.

Also, does the nose mask include a bug mesh for the grill part of the Ridgeline?

·
Registered
311 Posts
shanny said:
how hard is it to install the bug deflector and are they worth it.
Installation instructions for the Honda bug deflector can be found here. I guess you can be the judge of how hard it will be (doesn't look that hard to me). As for the worthiness of the product, I'll defer to the community since... um... I don't own one. :)

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
We bought and installed the OEM air deflector. We had our truck for a couple of weeks before we put it on, but it was before the bug season was upon us, so not a fair comparison.

I wanted it for looks. I really don't believe that bugs or rocks are going to be deflected and it's called an "air deflector" by Honda.

The install was easy. You can see step by step photos by looking at this thread:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1183

This is something I would not pay someone else to put on unless you simply hate working on vehicles or have enough money that it's not a factor.

I can't comment on the after market deflectors. I was too anxious to get it to wait for them to be released. We are looking at after market window vents now. I am not so loyal to Honda that everything has to be made by them. I dislike their tonneau cover and I'm very happy with my Retrax, for instance.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I bought the Ventshade bug deflector for about $45, but cannot get the hardware to work. I called the manufacturer and they sent more hardware. When I hold the anchors in my hand and turn the screw, it appears to work. If I put the anchor into the holes in the seal, shield, and hood, the screw won't go in as it turns. I feel really stupid not being able to turn a screw correctly. :rolleyes:

It will be a good looking shield if I can get it installed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts