Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a long road trip, the Ridge is plastered with bugs. Any cool tricks/tips to get the truck shaved of it's bug-beard, or is it just an elbow-grease issue?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have been using Plexus plastic cleaner for years to remove bugs off of motorcycle windshields. Spray it on, let it soak in for 20 or 30 seconds, and wipe off with a soft cloth. It is available at any motorcycle shop.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dacvulcan said:
I have been using Plexus plastic cleaner for years to remove bugs off of motorcycle windshields. Spray it on, let it soak in for 20 or 30 seconds, and wipe off with a soft cloth. It is available at any motorcycle shop.

Thanks for the tip and photo!

·
Registered
65 Posts
dacvulcan said:

Plexus works good. Also Honda Polish and Cleaner works well too. You can also find this at any motorcycle shop probably near or right next to the Plexus.....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
A few very wet towels will do the trick. Dip 'em in a bucket, lay 'em on, spray 'em down to keep 'em good'n wet. Leave them on for 5 to 10 minutes, they will wipe right off. I do it on my bike after every ride. If you have some wax under the bugs it is much faster and easier. The wet towels will not remove any wax that you may have applied.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Ultra-HOG said:
A few very wet towels will do the trick. Dip 'em in a bucket, lay 'em on, spray 'em down to keep 'em good'n wet. Leave them on for 5 to 10 minutes, they will wipe right off...
What could be easier than this? 35 years owning cars...how could I never have seen or thought of it!?! :confused: Thanks Hog.

Stuff like this is why you gotta love the ROC forum.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I came back from a camping trip recently with a HUGE dragonfly splattered all over my radiator (or whatever that thing is right behind the grill). I guess the darn thing flew headfirst between the slots. Any tips on how to get the bugger out? :)

·
Registered
993 Posts
I go to an automatic spray carwash which cleans the truck really well except it doesn't get all the bugs. The owner was saying people spray the front with 409 cleaner and then the bugs come right off in the car auto car wash.

Questions:

Is 409 okay for the paint?

He says they also use hot water in their car wash. It's seems I've heard once that hot water isn't good for the paint. Is hot water okay to wash your car with?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
409 may make it easier to get the bugs off this time but it will also strip any wax right off with them. That will make it even harder next time. Without any wax they will really stick. If you get them wet and keep them wet for 5 or 10 minutes the will wipe right off. Having a good coat of wax under them will make it real easy.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I agree, and I found out that the solvents in the automatic car wash presoak also remove the wax. From that point on, if I go to the car wash, I only use the self serve and then only the high pressure spray. NO PRE-SOAK! The wax seems to hold up OK. Now if I could convince my wife.....but that's another story.

Ultra-HOG said:
409 may make it easier to get the bugs off this time but it will also strip any wax right off with them. That will make it even harder next time. Without any wax they will really stick. If you get them wet and keep them wet for 5 or 10 minutes the will wipe right off. Having a good coat of wax under them will make it real easy.

·
Registered
993 Posts
NotaChevy said:
I agree, and I found out that the solvents in the automatic car wash presoak also remove the wax. From that point on, if I go to the car wash, I only use the self serve and then only the high pressure spray. NO PRE-SOAK! The wax seems to hold up OK. Now if I could convince my wife.....but that's another story.
Thanks for the tip Ultra-Hog. I'll try the wet towels.

I use to use the self serve, but using the brush put some scratches in my clear coat so I went to the automatic brushless automatic wash which gave some decent results, but now it sounds like I'm back to hand washing, but if the pre soak strips some of the wax, isn't it replaced when they spray wax on the car at the end of the cycle, which should last till your next wash shouldn't it? I'm just trying to keep it simple. :rolleyes:

If your truck is always garaged is a top notch wax job that important?

·
Registered
207 Posts
If you guys are so worried about the wax being removed, just use that Eagle1 "Wax-As-You-Dry" spray. I have been using it for about four years now, and I have only gone through two bottles, about 12-16 ounces. I am now on my third bottle. Wash the truck, then AS YOU DRY, spray it on, wipe right off...then feel the slickness of the wax. It is a helluva lot faster and easier than actually applying wax to the whole damn truck!
(Sorry I don't have a cool pic of the bottle I use, but they USED to be in a red plastic bottle, now they are in a blue plastic bottle)

EAGLE 1!!!

GOOD STUFF!
George

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I do something similar, except I use Eagle One Wipe n' Shine. As I said before, I take bugs off with Windex and a nylon wrap "bug" sponge. I don't use Windex on the windows however, as I only use Stoner's or Sprayway but Windex is gentle enough for the auto body. For the really hard splats I spray twice or just let the Windex soak for a minute or two.

Then, I spray the Wipe n' Shine (which is actually a detailer spray) to the affected areas and wipe it off with microfiber towels. It restores any lost luster caused by the bug wash.

·
Registered
288 Posts
What about a quadruple zero pad, or that special pad (bright yellow) that the detailers use, I should ah takin it when he offered it to me.. :rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts