Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Interesting idea. I have always been a fan of LEDS over incandesent bulbs for a long time. Usually the replacements are must brighter and draw far less current. I question if anyone else has done this and if it affected the flasher speed at all. On motorcycles, when you change to LEDS you usually need to add a load balancer to compersate for the load change on the directional signals. Interesting topic, lets hear from the experts out there.

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
Anyone know where I can find the bulb part numbers? Not in my owners manual.I'm replacing every bulb with LEDs.
If you are talking about your headlight blubs, use H4's

·
Registered
84 Posts
One of the things I've gotten sensitive to over the years is how various car manufacturers have gotten less, and less concerned with the off axis visibility of turn signals and running lights. In other words, how visible these lights are from the side of the vehicle.

Everytime I pull up to a four way stop, some bozo in a japanese car is signalling a turn in my direction, yet I can't see his signal lights at all. IMHO this is dangerous and probably at the edge -- if not beyond -- some DOT standard.

One of the things that impressed me about the Ridgeline was the great care that engineers took to make the running/turn lights visible to the side of the vechicle. The front turn signal, with its imbedded reflector, is a marvel of effectiveness and simplicity. Wonderful design.

If you will study this light, and the brake and signal lights on the rear, you will see very clearly that the incandescent bulb is necessary for this design to be effective. The configuration relies on the height of the bulb, and its 360 degree light pattern to work.

LEDs emit strong light in a narrow field. They certainly do not emit significant light to the side.

In my opinion, switching your lights to LEDs will significantly compromise the safety of your ride. Honda knows what they're doing. I think you should leave it alone.

Hope I didn't pop your balloon because customizing your ride is always very important.

Dave

·
Registered
141 Posts
WOW DR nice analysis..I have to look that over.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Hey Dave, very good analysis, and very strong argument against LED. Thanks. That's something I have noticed in this forum...a lot of smart and diversified peoples!!! Way to go Ridgeline!! Only the cream of the crop gets to drive you!! Yippie ya yoooo...oh! :D

·
Registered
176 Posts
Has anyone found "superwhite" bulbs for the fog lights? It takes an H11 bulb and I have been unable to find them anywhere. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The flip side of the argument for LED tail lights is that the LED versions illuminate faster than incandecent bulbs. We are only talking milliseconds here, but the LEDs are virtually at "full brightness" faster.

Works out well to help out that stupid tailgater behind you from tagging you at highway speeds where milliseconds can make up for those last few inches he needed to stop.

However, I agree that they don't show up as well in tail light assemblies that depend on reflected light to fill the lens up. I have some aftermarket 1157 LED replacements in my Mazda MX-6. They are slightly dimmer in both tail and brake modes than the standard bulbs. But the color is really cool. Deeper red.

Also, the difference in brightness between tail and brake is not as great, so without the third taillight in the rear window (using standard bulbs), you might miss that I just stood on my Brembo's really hard!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of of your input.Don't you think if the Ridgeline has such an advanced and well engineered reflector that it would reflect light no matter the source and what kind of light it is? Just a thought. I did this conversion on my 32 Ford,my 99 Ford Dually, and my wife's 99 Suzuki Grand Vitara with results that really amazed me. I only asked if anyone knew the bulb numbers and received enough opinions to start a book.Oh,by the way,the bulbs that I modify sends the light in 9 directions.So,I am asking one more time,since I have already gotten the opinions, does anyone know where I can obtain the BULB NUMBERS?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Here are what the bulbs are rated at:

Brake/Taillight 21/5 W (T20)
Turn Signal Light: 21 W
Backup Light : 18 W (KOITO)

License Plate Lights: 5 W x 2 (12V3CP)
High Mount Brake Light 5W x 4 (12V3CP)
Cargo Area Lights: 5W

Front Turn Signal/ Side Marker Lights 21/8W (3457NAK) Amber

FogLight: H11

Sorry that all I have for you, tell me what the LED replacement parts are.
Thanks

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I changed turn signals-flashers,tail-brake lights,and all exterior lights to LED today. No problems at all.Next week-all interior lights!!! Some people know their limitations and try to discourage others from experimenting.I have yet to find my limitation so,therefore,my experimenting will continue. There are naysayers and then there are doers.I'm in the latter pile.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I changed turn signals-flashers,tail-brake lights,and all exterior lights to LED today. No problems at all.Next week-all interior lights!!! Some people know their limitations and try to discourage others from experimenting.I have yet to find my limitation so,therefore,my experimenting will continue. There are naysayers and then there are doers.I'm in the latter pile.
Hey! No need to get defensive just because someone has a legitimate concern and observation about the safety of these lamps. I was looking at some today and it clearly said on the back of them that they weren't for highway use.

Anyhoo, have you had any problems with the flashers? I'm assuming that the Ridgeline has an electronic timer rather than a thermal unit, as I read that the led units sometimes don't draw enough current for the thermal relays.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep. And no problems at all. I used 3 ohm 50 watt resistors from an electronics store in the tail light area.These take care of the front signals too.The difficult things takes me a little time to figure out. The impossible things take just a little longer.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Can you post the bulb numbers for the rest of us? TIA. :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts