Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Are all the Bull bars bull? Does anyone make a Bull bar that actually ties into the unibody construction effectively? Or are they all just big tubes held on by a few flimsy screws to the rad support?

Does someone make one that actually connects to anything substantial on the under body. Otherwise what is the point? If its just connected in a manner that doesn't actually transfer the big manly bull tubing to the "frame". Its just going to act to distribute the damage everywhere, if you hit anything with any force. Yeah I know there is no frame in the traditional H frame truck sense.

Keep it simple. If you don't know, don't comment.

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Back when my Dad got his 2006.5 Ram Cummins diesel, he asked me to look into grill guards for him, because he was so worried about hitting deer.

After extensive research, I found that there were no commercially-available grill guards that would protect the truck in a deer collision. Most experts stated that the grill guard would actually do more harm to the truck in a deer collision vs having no grill guard.

In short, the grill guards are mainly for protection against brush and maybe small birds. For protection against deer, you would need a custom-built extremely heavy bumper setup (like you might see on OTR trucks) that would be so heavy that it would throw the truck off-balance. Then, if you hit something like a deer, the impact may be enough to tweak the frame on a BoF truck. I hate to think what it might do to a unibody vehicle.

Not really trying to change any minds here. Just letting you know what I found when i dug deep into the subject 15 years ago.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited by Moderator)
It sounds like you want real protection, in which case a grill guard is your better option and not a bull bar.

You might want to start there.
Do you know of one that is actually attached to the frame with somethin besides a flimsy L bracket that has a tenth of the strength of the tubing of the actual bar?

The bracket you show has about one tenth the structural integrity of the steel tube Bull bar it is supporting. Complete junk.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited by Moderator)
I was very specific for a reason. I have already looked on line extensively. From what I have seen the Bull bars are in fact Bull from a engineering perspective. The are a façade, a fake brick wall laminated over a two x four construction. Junk. Now if someone out there has the real deal, I would love to know about it and be grateful, and we would all benefit from the knowledge.

Back when my Dad got his 2006.5 Ram Cummins diesel, he asked me to look into grill guards for him, because he was so worried about hitting deer.

After extensive research, I found that there were no commercially-available grill guards that would protect the truck in a deer collision. Most experts stated that the grill guard would actually do more harm to the truck in a deer collision vs having no grill guard.

In short, the grill guards are mainly for protection against brush and maybe small birds. For protection against deer, you would need a custom-built extremely heavy bumper setup (like you might see on OTR trucks) that would be so heavy that it would throw the truck off-balance. Then, if you hit something like a deer, the impact may be enough to tweak the frame on a BoF truck. I hate to think what it might do to a unibody vehicle.

Not really trying to change any minds here. Just letting you know what I found when i dug deep into the subject 15 years ago.
Thanks. You have a good point. Anything strong enough to withstand an impact may be overkill compared to the lightweight unibody construction. I did find one that seems like a good compromise. It has tubing about half the size of normal bull bar, but it has multiple angular attachment points, not little l brackets. When I look at your typical Bull bar and consisting of massive tubing held on by flimsy little brackets it just seems silly. I am a functionalist, that's why I bought a ridgeline and not a Dodge Rebel.

I found this on the Passport Forums googling. Its actually built for the Ridgeline. The Anchor points are part of the actual tubing not a "L" bracket that transfers the fors of an impact. Aside from the price its seems reasonable. it would offer a little protection without interfering with the primary bumper. Anyone got one?

To clarify, I never mentioned deer. Looking for something that willl tell the wife, OK, that's far enough, without looking like I am tryin gout for the set of Mad Maxs Thunderdome. You should see the license plate on the front bumper of our Volvo, its now a contoured fit. Besides we got Elk and Moose, never mind the stupid deer.

·
Registered
708 Posts
OK then, why did you post?
I posted because searches for grill guards will bring back different results than searches for bull bars. And bull bars really aren't designed to protect like a grill guard is and I have no idea what your knowledge is of such things so I offered that up to expand your search criteria.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To clarify your point. You’re looking for 2017 plus Ridgelines correct? You posted it in the first Gen ridgeline section. I have no substance other than interest and trying to help you get the right people looking at your question.
Yep, Thanks. 2017+. 2021 newbie. I dont much care what you call it. Bull Bar/Brush guard/ Pushbar. With the exception of the one I found on JSport, they all appear to be cosmetic junk. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. So having 2 inch + tubing connected to the chassis using little L bracket is, from an engineering perspective, well, just dumb, unless you like facades. I am not worried about brush or deer. Nothing is going to protect me from a deer/moose/elk except maybe a snow plow, LOL. If you want protection from game get some ultrasound screamers. I want something that will take a light bang and whose size is commiserate with its actual structural integrity. So far, the JSport one is the best i have found. Others?

Has anyone found any front end protection that isn't cosmetic junk?. Just looking for something that is well engineered. By well engineered I mean its not overbuilt 2inch plus tubing connected to the frame by pathetic little L/U brackets with 1/10 the strength of the protective tubing.

Just looking for something that has continuity in terms of strength. Something that can take can take a light bang. Not worried about brush or deer.

The best I have found is Ridgeline/Pilot/Passport Safari Front Bumper | Jsport USA Why is it the best? Because the tubing has anchor points that are integral to the tubing. The tubing which is modest and commiserate with its strength and purpose and anchor points.

expensive: Ridgeline/Pilot/Passport Safari Front Bumper | Jsport USA

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,708 Posts
Yep, Thanks. 2017+. 2021 newbie. I dont much care what you call it. Bull Bar/Brush guard/ Pushbar. With the exception of the one I found on JSport, they all appear to be cosmetic junk. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. So having 2 inch + tubing connected to the chassis using little L bracket is, from an engineering perspective, well, just dumb, unless you like facades. I am not worried about brush or deer. Nothing is going to protect me from a deer/moose/elk except maybe a snow plow, LOL. If you want protection from game get some ultrasound screamers. I want something that will take a light bang and whose size is commiserate with its actual structural integrity. So far, the JSport one is the best i have found. Others?
Front end is engineered to protect you in a crash, reduce injury to pedestrians and there are sensors which are part of the air bag deployment system. A structural bull bar that attaches solidly to the subframe will undoubtedly impact some if not all the engineered in safety aspects of the front end. A company that produces such a product may open them selves up to financial and legal jeopardy. This might be the reason why all the products available are essentially cosmetic fluff.
Basically I don't think you are going to find what your are looking for ready made.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm not an engineer, and I'm guessing you're not either. I would assume it's not engineered in the fashion you'd like, not due to a lack of intelligence, but for a reason. What you want will actually cause more damage to your vehicle in a "light bang". Your light bang now becomes a totaled vehicle. Not sure how you define "light bang". Many engineers on this forum, so hopefully they will correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Aren't those bars incredibly useless unless and dangerous you are actually trying to protect yourself from deer in a rural environment?

I've read such issues as:
-Affecting the sensors on your airbag deployment
-Obliterating the car you hit which will mess up your insurance premiums
-Greatly increasing the likelihood of significant injury or death if you hit a pedestrian

Why do you want one?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Take a good look at the link to the one from JSports I posted. Its minimalistic but strong. It doesn't wrap over the front end, it does protect your lower skirt and bumper from minor issues. Again, not trying to protect myself or the car from a major Collison. The best protection i ever found from deer was were little whistles that emitted hi frequency sound that warned deer from a great distance, put hem on a Mazda Pickup I had in Maine and I never saw a deer again. The one I found would protect the lower bumper and skirt, and I would prevent my wife from making the front license place a contoured feature for the front bumper. But...it costs close to a grande. Quality costs. As far as air bags go, if it prevents them from deploying in a minor bump, great! BTW, if you know you are going to hit something take your hands off the wheel, the airbag deployment is murder on the hands and thumbs ; )

1 - 14 of 14 Posts