Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well (as forum member redman7.0 would say) this did not take long. I was hoping my first post would be one concerning the absolute joy this vehicle (lunar silver on black leather RTL-E) has been in its first 1500 miles. Will get around to that soon.

Alas, I noticed on Sunday afternoon that someone had bumped (or rather slammed) into my RL with apparently a good amount of force and at such an angle so as to smash the bumper into the rear driver-side quarter panel. There was flaking of paint and some loosenign of the little plastic square as well as loosening of the faring along the wheel well which I worked back into place with a table knife. This may be a flaw in the RL 2.0 rear-end design -- a bumper bust-up also crushes a corner of the rear quarter-panel. Not sure when it happened precisely, and have since acquired some Honda lunar silver touch-up paint to try to cover up the exposed metal, but I know nothing about auto bodywork.

My question for the experts on the forum here is whether this is worth claiming on my insurance as a no-fault/hit&run or just suck it up, find a good bodyshop to see what they can do and at minimum cover any/all exposed metal to prevent rust. I live in the NOVA/DC region where traffic and parking are shall we say world-class, and can never rule out another occurence like this or even a higher-speed rear-end (like redman7.0's) but don't really mind minor dings like this -- it's somewhat why I got a truck, even though this one is basically a mancave on wheels -- to use it on weekends and roadtrips. But it SUCKS to see this flaw in such a primo, new ride as my RL.

Pics below/attached. Thanks in advance for your questions/comments/expertise. And congrats to all the other first-run 2G RL owners out there. I got mine in anticipation of the now-confirmed quite generous VW TDI "Dieselgate" settlement for my beloved but very different VW Golf TDI. Big change in size and driving manner, but I'm loving the larger, more comfortable riding position.

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
I feel your pain. On the 4th day of ownership we had a driveway incident and my rear driver's door was struck by one of our other vehicles in the dark. I first went and got an estimate in the hope that I could get away with Paintless Dent Repair (PDR). Unfortunately it needs a traditional body repair since the door skin metal was deformed/stretched by the bumper of the other car rubbing against it.

I got quotes to self-pay. The quotes from 2 reputable shops were almost identical. They were high enough that I opted to go with an insurance claim. I'll be getting the repair done next week.

In the end it depends on whether you feel your rates will be going up significantly with a claim.

Paul.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Sorry man! I'd get a quote from a reputable body shop and then decide. Sometimes the superficial looking stuff, has more impact on the bumper and truck internals than expected.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
First, yes make a claim. If it were simply a scratch or slight dent from carelessness of someone, would be different. But someone physically hit your truck. When that happens there could be damage underneath the area and you won't know what that is, until the bumper is pulled off and the whole thing is inspected/scrutinized. Let's say you tell yourself and your body shop of choice, that you'll pay out of pocket because it looks "cosmetic'. The body shop then pulls it apart and informs you it will be much more expensive to replace x, y, z, etc. Not worth the risk. Make a claim, and you make DAMN SURE, it's filed as a hit and run. That way it falls under comp instead of collision and you won't be held at fault. In my state, that's a simple form to fill out and file with the state. The insurance adjuster will simply need the # off that hit and run report to file their claim and get you moving.

I just went through this early this year and this is how I did it. I'm also friends with the owner of the best body shop we have in our metroplex. One other thing, don't use your Honda dealer to fix this. People mistakenly take their damaged vehicles back to the dealer thinking they'll do the best job. This is incorrect. The dealer simply has an auto body shop they farm out their work to. I'd find my own locally. You'll need to ask around, do some research online, etc. The good ones can be tough to find and they are generally found by person to person or word of mouth. If that was my truck, this is exactly how I'd go about it. You just don't know what damage this has done until it's all torn apart.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks, fellas. I'll check out some body shops tomorrow!
Spectrum Collision Center at 4068 S. Four Mile Run in Arlington did a super job when the MINI got clobbered.

·
Registered
932 Posts
By all means that needs to be fixed. It's a brand new rig!

Hopefully you have a good rapport with your insurance company.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
File that claim! This is a hit-and-run and is handled by the insurance company differently than other claims that do not involve a crime. Generally, your rates shouldn't go up.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Almost identical damage except to the right side. $1,565.56 estimate. I'm an old body and fender man. Can fix it for $500.00 I think. Punctured the bumper cover on mine also. I got two estimates. Both shops figured on clear coating the entire bed side. Removing all the moldings, etc. I took the tail lamp out to have a look. Will be an easy repair as far as metal work. You can push-pull most of it back in place with your hands. The turned under lip will take a little more TLC. The impact pushed the bumper cover up and the edge put a 2" dent just under the tail lamp right on the curve on mine. So, PDR won't work for me either. I may be able to repair the fascia. We'll see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts