Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone able to provide information about the differences between these two accessories?

The bumper skid garnish comes with the Sport (black), Touring (silver) and Black Edition (black) models. Based on the pictures from the internet, I cannot tell if there is a fundamental difference between the skid garnish and skid plate. The dealerships around my area don't know.

I plan to purchase a Black Edition in the coming year and wonder if there is a point to put on a skid plate when this model already comes with a skid garnish. Also was wondering if any owners of the Black Edition has put on the metal skid plate. Does the silver colour work on the all black truck?

I have attached a picture of the metal skid plate accessory and a picture of a Black Edition from the Honda website.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
313 Posts
2017 BE does NOT come with skid garnish (only Honda could come up with a goofy name like garnish), at least on the US editions. Just a bunch of rubber and plastic up front.

I just ordered a set of skid plates (front & rear) from Burtman Industries (they have their own post with all the ordering info) and will update in their post once I get them installed (they said 3-4 weeks). And price is substantially cheaper than the Honda plate.

·
Registered
14 Posts
verb: garnish; 3rd person present: garnishes; past tense: garnished; past participle: garnished; gerund or present participle: garnishing

1. decorate or embellish (something, especially food).
"salad garnished with an orange slice"
synonyms: decorate, adorn, ornament, trim, dress, embellish

Yep, Garnish is the correct word.
http://www.hondapartworld.com/image/data/2017 RIDGELINE/2017 INSTRUCTIONS/08P46-T6Z-100.pdf

If you are looking for function, Themagician is on the right path with the Burtman Industries skid plate. http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/...ne-front-rear-skid-plates-2017-ridgeline.html

It will actually provide some protection to the parts that count.

Reactions: Haymoose

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
2017 BE does NOT come with skid garnish (only Honda could come up with a goofy name like garnish), at least on the US editions. Just a bunch of rubber and plastic up front.

I just ordered a set of skid plates (front & rear) from Burtman Industries (they have their own post with all the ordering info) and will update in their post once I get them installed (they said 3-4 weeks). And price is substantially cheaper than the Honda plate.
Thanks for the quick reply. Really appreciate it and can't wait to see your pictures.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
verb: garnish; 3rd person present: garnishes; past tense: garnished; past participle: garnished; gerund or present participle: garnishing

http://www.hondapartworld.com/image/data/2017 RIDGELINE/2017 INSTRUCTIONS/08P46-T6Z-100.pdf

If you are looking for function, Themagician is on the right path with the Burtman Industries skid plate. http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/...ne-front-rear-skid-plates-2017-ridgeline.html

Thanks for the info.

·
Vendor
1,886 Posts
Thanks.

Yes, these plates are strong and will help protect the radiator up front, since there isn't really any protection now. I've sold many of these plates for 2006-2014 owners also. One of the main reasons, even if you don't offroad, is to protect that radiator. I had a quote a few 1st gen guys have their radiators pierced by rocks, curbs, and one guy said he was on the highway and a large stone hit the bottom of it. New radiator with install is pricey. So, this isn't just for looks or for those that offroad. There's also the rear plate for rear diff protection.

FRONT skid plate, more info, link

REAR skid plate, more info, link

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks.

Yes, these plates are strong and will help protect the radiator up front, since there isn't really any protection now. I've sold many of these plates for 2006-2014 owners also. One of the main reasons, even if you don't offroad, is to protect that radiator. I had a quote a few 1st gen guys have their radiators pierced by rocks, curbs, and one guy said he was on the highway and a large stone hit the bottom of it. New radiator with install is pricey. So, this isn't just for looks or for those that offroad. There's also the rear plate for rear diff protection.

Thank you for this usueful information. Will definitely keep this in mind when I get my Ridgeline next year.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts

FYI ...:smile:

With some "certain mfg(s)" ...the rear hatch plastic moulding covering the taillight housing(s) is also referred to as a/the "hatch garnish" :nerd:

·
Vendor
1,886 Posts
FYI ...:smile:

With some "certain mfg(s)" ...the rear hatch plastic moulding covering the taillight housing(s) is also referred to as a/the "hatch garnish" :nerd:
I like a nice big steak right now, with a garnish. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I don't think a bunch of 2G Ridgeline trucks wil be doing much rock crawling which means those beautiful skid plates pictured in the preceeding posts are for a very specialized group of owners. I also think Honda calling their way over priced accessory a 'skid plate' is a bit of a reach. What Honda is offering is a lower bumper scratch protector. By the way, it'll scratch on a curb if Mr. Skid Plate gets to the curb before the tires do. Pretty silly. It's got some eye candy value but it is grossly overpriced (either in the box or mounted on your truck for it to command such a high price). I'd skip it.

·
Vendor
1,886 Posts
Well, maybe with the Honda one, but the facts are, the oil pan sits very low on these trucks, and I've had countless, I mean countless people with 06-15 Ridgelines buy these, and a heck of a lot for the 2017's already, due to this SAME issue that hasn't been addresses by Honda for 2017 models - that oil pan.

I've had many, many people hit that low oil pan and then get the skidplates after a very pricey repair bill, it just sits low. Easy to pierce. One guy was on the highway and a rock pierced it, and another guy let his 16 year old daughter have the truck for a night and she hit a curb block which parking into a space, and so on. It's really more of an issue than most think or know.... I didn't even realize it until I got all this feedback over the years.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Point well taken Jason. I really hadn't looked at how vulnerable the oil plan really is on the 2G Ridgeline.
The Honda front skid plate is sold as a way to give your truck 'a rugged, sporty look' and doesn't seem to even get close to the oil pan. That sporty rugged look ain't cheap at $575.00 in the box :surprise:. Honda will happily install it for about $200.00 more!
Jason's skid plate is a skid plate and is inexpensive in comparison. While Jason's might not look as 'macho' as that rugged and sporty off road racing skid plate offered by Honda, his is a funtional peice of hardware.
Had I bought rather than leased my 2G I probabbly would be one of Jasons customer by now. As I don't go off road I really wouldn't need the rear plate for the way I use my truck. Off roading for me would be driving over my neighbors flower garden when coming home from a visit at the local pub :laugh:.

·
Vendor
1,886 Posts
Point well taken Jason. I really hadn't looked at how vulnerable the oil plan really is on the 2G Ridgeline.
The Honda front skid plate is sold as a way to give your truck 'a rugged, sporty look' and doesn't seem to even get close to the oil pan. That sporty rugged look ain't cheap at $575.00 in the box :surprise:. Honda will happily install it for about $200.00 more!
Jason's skid plate is a skid plate and is inexpensive in comparison. While Jason's might not look as 'macho' as that rugged and sporty off road racing skid plate offered by Honda, his is a funtional peice of hardware.
Had I bought rather than leased my 2G I probabbly would be one of Jasons customer by now. As I don't go off road I really wouldn't need the rear plate for the way I use my truck. Off roading for me would be driving over my neighbors flower garden when coming home from a visit at the local pub :laugh:.
:) Yes. Funny, a guy called me today because something pierced his factory tranny cooler he said? I'm not sure what exactly he meant, but he just paid H onda $700 to replace it along with all the tranny fluid. These things help for sure besides just looking cool.

·
Vendor
1,886 Posts

·
Vendor
1,886 Posts
Front plates will ship week of August 7th. Waiting for more to come back from powdercoating. And I think this will work with the honda silver garnish piece. This would slip right under it :)

Burtman Industries Front plate

Burtman Industries Rear plate

·
Registered
363 Posts
Does anyone on here have the Honda garnish that can take some real life photos of it?
The chinstrap? I can when I get home.

Speaking of pictures, does anyone with these Burtman skidplates have a picture of the oil drain plug location? Thinking of installing a Fumoto valve and trying to plan out some routing if I decide to get a plate.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts