Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ve been getting a periodic burning smell through the vents and into the cab of the truck. 13,000km, its been happening since new, by now I m thinking all the protective coating should already be burnt off.

Its hard to describe the type of burning.

There is no smoke, and no smell when I exit the vehicle.

It occurs during uphill, with the engine RPM steady around 3k.

The thing is, if i drive it with frequent throttle input, I.E hitting the gas, letting it coast, the RPM jumps around the issue doesnt reappear.

All fluid levels appear normal, oil and transmission fluid doesnt smell burnt, coolant levels are reading normal.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I ve been getting a periodic burning smell through the vents and into the cab of the truck. 13,000km, its been happening since new, by now I m thinking all the protective coating should already be burnt off.

Its hard to describe the type of burning.

There is no smoke, and no smell when I exit the vehicle.

It occurs during uphill, with the engine RPM steady around 3k.

The thing is, if i drive it with frequent throttle input, I.E hitting the gas, letting it coast, the RPM jumps around the issue doesnt reappear.

All fluid levels appear normal, oil and transmission fluid doesnt smell burnt, coolant levels are reading normal.

Any ideas?
I live at 4000 feet and the entrance to the neighborhood is at 3000 feet and only 1 1/2 miles away. Pretty steep grades in a couple of places. A lot of vehicles smell like they have something burning when they get to my house. Seems to happen more with vehicles that don't have enough engine to climb in a higher gear so they are at higher RPM's. I have learned to back off of the gas enough to shift into the next higher gear instead of keeping on going in the lower gear with high RPM's. I then regulate the gas to keep it in that gear. I'm no mechanic but I assume it's the transmission making all of the vehicles smell by the time they get to my house.
Just an observation with my situation so it may not apply or help you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thankyou for your input. I too believe it is the transmission. The thing is... i dont think this is normal.

If it smells like its burning going up an steep and gradual incline. Imagine if I was to take this truck through the mountains or even tow with it.

There should be enough engine for this to go on an incline without it stressing the transmission. Especially on pavement with no load.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I live at 8400' elevation but work and commute almost daily to 5800' elevation. This puts a massive strain on my vehicles and I often have the same experience you are describing. I've always had Subarus which guzzled oil so my thought was it was oil that was being burned.

Could be totally wrong and would love to hear others thoughts.

·
Registered
813 Posts
All of my trucks have always had a scorched smell outside of the truck when parked after a hard drive. It's never been an issue.

I suspect it relates to the way the iVTM4 feeds torque into the rear wheels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts