Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Everyone has an opinion on this stuff and we have all done other stuff with other cars but here is what the manual says. The manual also says that you can use synthetic, so the days of adding synthetic when the rings seat don't apply in this case. I know back in the day, my sister got a brand new 86 Prelude Si. I babied it home from the dealership 20 miles away. Later that day, her boyfriend (now my brother in law) floored it in every gear to redline with 39 miles in it. I was pissed to say the least. Guess what, they sold that car a few years later with 140k on it, no issues.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,268 Posts
Many vehicles come from the factory with synthetic oil as factory fill.

·
Registered
4 Posts
bad advise from all the " i never had a problem people". waiting to change to synthetic is an old wives tail. most new cars today come factory filled with full or semi synthetic. and reving to red-line in the first couple thousand miles is taking foolish risk.

From a guy that worked with the people who developed Mobil 1

·
Registered
482 Posts
I wouldn't worry much about the initial oil consumption, just add a bit to bring it to the halfway point on the dipstick and keep an eye on it. If it worsens, go to the dealer - but the odds are that it will improve with future oil changes.

If you do burn a quart or two between intervals, you can join the ranks of legions of Subaru owners who have to do the same thing with their boxer engines. It's inconvenient and adds a bit of operating cost, but it doesn't seem to cut back on the lifespan of the engine. If early oil use DOES turn out to be a harbinger of engine longevity problems (100K miles plus), for many owners that will never be a problem anyway since they don't keep vehicles that long.

My own personal philosophy is follow the break-in recommendations of the manual, then drive it like you stole it. Life is too short to be grannying around on the highway with buttocks clenched in fear that mpg will drop a couple of tenths. Smack that accelerator to the floor, and listen to the VTEC music!

·
Registered
471 Posts
I wouldn't worry much about the initial oil consumption, just add a bit to bring it to the halfway point on the dipstick and keep an eye on it. If it worsens, go to the dealer - but the odds are that it will improve with future oil changes. !
I totally agree with this statement. I have been an avid motorcyclist for decades and last 3 bikes were BMW boxer twins. When new the bikes literally drank oil, but after a few thousand miles the oil consumption ceased. After break-in of my '04 1150GS, which consumed >1qt./3,000 miles when new, I did a 9,000 mile trip to Seattle and back in 20 days including 2/3 mountains, twisty back roads and deserts, and 1/3 interstates. I was running on Spectro synthetic oil and never added a drop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
bad advise from all the " i never had a problem people". waiting to change to synthetic is an old wives tail. most new cars today come factory filled with full or semi synthetic. and reving to red-line in the first couple thousand miles is taking foolish risk.

From a guy that worked with the people who developed Mobil 1
Reving to redline is or is not foolish? I can't make out your statement. Thanks for the 'advise'

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
131 Posts
While I consider that excessive consumption, Honda will likely tell you that is normal. That is a quandary.
Nothing like awakening an old thread...

Yep that is the Honda/Acura official line: 1 quart per 1000 miles falls under "normal operating parameters." My 2012 TL's 3.7 had oil consumption issues, and Acura refused to report it until the car was using in excess of 1 quart in 1000 miles. Mine was a quart every 2000, and always started consuming at less than 70% oil life.

Now I have noticed my new 2020 E is drinking oil. I checked it new at delivery and 500 miles, dipstick showed full both times. But yesterday (at 90%) I checked and it showed a half quart down--at 900 miles. I hope this is break-in usage. I am keeping a close eye and if it drops any more, off to the dealer I go.

I might add I've been driving mostly in Econ mode the last 450 miles or so. May this have something to do with it?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Some dipstick loss is normal before the first oil change. I've experienced this and it's mentioned often in the threads. I wouldn't worry about anything yet.

·
Administrator
14,933 Posts
I might add I've been driving mostly in Econ mode the last 450 miles or so. May this have something to do with it?
ECON mode makes no changes whatsoever to the engine. It simply makes it where you have to press the accelerator pedal farther to get the same amount of power, but wide-open is still wide-open whether it's on or off. In other words, turning ECON on makes the engine perform as if you're not pressing the accelerator pedal as far.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The owners manual in our 3.5L V6 RAV4 says 1qt/600 miles is normal. I’ve never added a drop in 71K miles of checking the dipstick. 5W30 and 10W30 are both 30 at 100C.

·
Administrator
14,933 Posts
If it were me (and it might end up happening to me too) I would start using a heavier weight oil now.
The other side of this equation is that in order to avoid potential warranty issues, it may be best to use the specified 0W-20 oil at least through the 5/60 powertrain warranty period (or longer duration if covered by a service plan).

21 - 31 of 31 Posts