Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my 06 RL with 110k miles started shuddering while driving and cel/vtm4 lights came on. Tried getting to auto part store but truck completely died and wouldn't restart (won't even crank). Seems the #5 ignition coil was corroded and surmise that an arcing wire caused the bottom of coil to completely melt. Crankcase became pressurized and timing belt jumped. Likely have damaged valves and trying to determine if I should fix. Anybody else have a coil burn up? Could this be related to the dreaded #4 cylinder Issue?
Not burning any oil or fluid and never had any overheating or any other sign of trouble before this.
TIA

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Yikes!
Was there oil getting past the #5 plug and contaminating the coil? How exactly did the crankcase get pressurized?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't gotten into that cylinder yet, project for today. Not sure how pressure built up but it was enough to punch dipstick out and spray oil from dipstick hole.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, there was soo much heat generated that spark plug and threads melted on cylinder #5. Head is shot and also oil in cylinder #4. Looks like I'll be scrapping the RL at this point...RIP

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well, there was soo much heat generated that spark plug and threads melted on cylinder #5. Head is shot and also oil in cylinder #4. Looks like I'll be scrapping the RL at this point...RIP
Maybe you can find a good machine shop and have the engine rebuilt or refreshed? I just had our 3.5 refreshed with bearings, rings, 6 valves (lost a timing belt) and seals for $2200.00. Now she runs like a new RL.

I wish you luck in whatever you decide.....

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Agreed! Absolutely not reason to ditch the truck if it's a good one. You can pick up a used head at a salvage yard & get it installed with a new timing belt for probably under $2000. This presumes you did not have any damage in the other head.... but that's a reasonable bet that you can confirm quickly enough.
Good Luck.... don't overlook any of your options here.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Anybody else have a coil burn up? Could this be related to the dreaded #4 cylinder Issue?

TIA
Yes

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1247993&postcount=42

I know where you are at!! For me, the RL without an engine is worth only a few grand.... so buying a new RL replacement in trade in was out.
For what I would have paid for a new Used RL I was at what the repair would be at.. and not guaranteed the used RL would not have the same problems or other gremlins.
For me, I replaced the entire engine, knowing what I have.
I have experienced engine rebuilds that you replace the bottom half and the top half goes out or visa versa. Rebuild one bank and the other bank would have had 178,000 miles on it.
It has been running great since and hopefully I will get another 8-10 years before it rusts apart.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, guess I'm not the only one with this problem. There's scoring on the piston and with oil in cylinder #4, I wouldn't do anything except an entire replacement. Guessing $5k to replace for a truck that's worth about $5k. It's a gamble and not sure which way I'll go. If anyone knows of a good place for replacement engine, let me know

1 - 11 of 11 Posts