Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Buy a 2017 RTL-T with 45k miles and no maintenance records??

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  14v6 
#1 ·
A local Subaru dealer has a sharp 2017 Ridgeline for sale and the carfax shows only 1 oil change. Does the Ridgeline alert the owner to needed maintenance beyond oil changes? I find it difficult to imagine someone not doing the necessary maintenance, but who knows? Secondly, I'm looking for opinions on buying without a warranty. Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
Setting aside Carfax, you might try face-to-face at your local Honda dealer with the VIN in hand, explain the situation and ask them too see what records, service and otherwise, they can pull-up from the Honda database. For sure they can at least give you the in-service date for calc of remaining warranty times (e.g. 5yr powertrain), original selling dealer/location, etc.

By "no warranty" you're assuming that without service records you'll not be able to make any claim on what remains of the 5yr/60k powertrain warranty? May be right as it relates to things that had service requirements up to now but not all powertrain items necessarily did (they can't 'void' the entire warranty, just for those items that would be covered but for lack of a specific required service affecting that part). E.g. failure to change engine oil can't void an unrelated tranny warranty if the tranny got its required service (if any was in fact required up to this point). From the warranty book text:
  • "Parts that fail because they did not get proper, timely maintenance are not covered by warranty. However, a warranty claim will not be denied if a part fails due to a defect in material or workmanship for reasons unrelated to improper maintenance or operation."
Yes, there's a "maintenance minder" system that displays need for services other than oil changes, but that can be reset without the work actually being done. Others here can probably offer comment about what likely should have come-up during it's life to now.

Does the price reflect the effect of lack of records and warranty risk implications?

Are you and the Subaru dealer willing to work-out an agreement for a thorough 3rd party inspection?

From my Q's and comments you can tell ….. if the vehicle and deal held some attraction for me I wouldn't necessarily discount it out-of-hand due to the warranty realities, but I'd sure be into a much deeper and more 'hands-on due diligence effort' than a Carfax provides. But for me that's true of any used vehicle purchase.

Lots of, if not most, used cars change hands without records/receipts documenting complete recommended service.

Good luck.

#3 ·
You would still have the powertrain warranty for another 2 yr/15K miles assuming Honda does not ding the vehicle for not having records of maintenance being done. My personal opinion would be that the previous owner did his/her own maintenance. As always mentioned on this forum, if you purchase the vehicle, change ALL the fluids to start with a clean slate.

Personally, the only thing I would really be worried about would be the dreaded injector problem that has developed recently. How much are they asking for this vehicle? I would imagine with 45K miles, the price would be around $28K or less. Let us know what happens.

#4 ·
With the $1500 dealer cash and dealers willing to deal in anticipation of a 2020 refresh, you can get a new rtl-t for about $34,000. I don't think the 2017 had a power rear window, and might not have a sunroof (2019s do). 2017s also had a much longer list of complaints than 2018 or 2019, as most first year vehicles do. I'd have to be getting a hefty discount to buy a used 2017.

Make sure you crawl all over it and inspect it well, here is a forum topic to help you know what to look for:

As mentioned above, a Honda dealer should be able to pull maintenance records.

#5 ·
I do all the required maintenance with a lot more care ever shown by numerous Honda dealers. There are no records of this beyond sales slips for oil, filters and the occasional Bernardi infusion. At 45K if it drives ok and is priced right it's probably good. If you buy it, first thing I would do is change all the filters and fluids and now you have a baseline. There isn't a lot of maintenance before 105K and/or 7 years.

#6 ·
The dealer list price was $27995. and I was thinking I could get them down in price. But it really bothers me to see a single oil change at 40k miles on carfax. Thanks to all the posters for the good advice. I'll probably procrastinate a bit, looks like it's been listed for sale for a month.

#7 ·
What trim level is the Ridgeline. If it's an RTL or below, nothing great in terms of price. Carfax is not the gospel, the owner could have done his own maintenance and many car repairs don't make the Carfax. I know this because I just sold my 11 year old CRV last August and the Carfax was missing multiple brake jobs done by one of the chains. An mechanic could probably tell how well the vehicle was maintained for a better perspective.

Also, a 2017 should have some outstanding recalls. Get the vin# and check if the recalls have been performed on the Honda Owner Link website. IMO, the price has to be lower for this risk premium. Couldn't you get a new Sport in the low 30's with the full warranty?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.