Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Ridgeline aficionados:

I am a new forum member, living in south Florida, and have a potential good deal to buy my truck in NJ. After I negotiated the price, the sales manager informed me that they require that I also must pay them the full Florida sales tax and registration fees. They say that they will take care of the Florida registration process for me by mail with Florida DMV, after which I will receive the title in the mail. They will provide me with a bill of sale at the time of the sale along with a 20 day paper tag, but cannot give me the title, because they claim that it is held elsewhere by Honda.

Does this sound right to you folks? I have one other experience previously purchasing a vehicle out of state that was handled differently. I purchased a Honda Forza motorcycle in Arkansas last year. They were able to give me both bill of sale and the title, along with a 30 day temporary tag. Then it was up to me to pay tax when I registered the moto in Florida.

Should I be concerned about this process? I am a little worried because I never heard of paying Florida sales tax to a NJ dealer before.

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
When I bought my last car (Ford in Virginia), I paid the dealer for the car and got a Dealer tag. Once I got home (and the check cleared), they FedExed the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO) to me. I got the vehicle inspected in TX and took the MCO to our TX DMV. They collected the Sales Tax, provided plates and got the Title set up.

If they insist on collecting sales tax at the dealer's State, make sure that you will get credit for the amount paid in your home state. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I got into the same issue buying in Tennessee. You can only apply the difference to sales tax if your old vehicle was traded at the time of purchasing the new one. It was a Honda finance or Tennessee finance issue. I don't remember which. I think it was Tennessee law. I live in Arkansas and had already sold my trade. I got my financing in Arkansas and delivered the dealer a cashiers check and was able to take my deduction in my home state. Pain in the but but it worked. Some states just have this screwy law. They mailed me the certificate of origin. My bank retained the title and I was able to only pay the difference in what I sold my vehicle for and the price of the new G2 at my local revenue office.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,410 Posts
Check with your local DMV first! Also get the exact tax rate for vehicles and have all figures written down. Some states have laws that make it easy to buy in another state, but be prepared for delays that could become aggravating. I went through 3 temp tags before Virginia and Tennessee got it right. The second time was much easier as I transferred existing plate. Be very wary regarding dealing with NJ since the distance involved could negate any savings you might get.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Yeah, YMMV depending on where you are. In my case buying a new vehicle with trade in I would pay provincial sales tax (state) based on the price difference between the two vehicles. New one is 40K, trade in 20K, tax @5% would be 2K - 1K = 1K.

If I bought next door, the same rule would apply, except their tax rate is 6%, so it would be 2400 - 1200 = 1200. Then when I came home I'd have to pay the 5% on the whole price since the trade in is not gone and my gov't can't get the tax on the used sale. So my total tax in that case would be a 3200 tax bill instead of 2000. I believe I'd also end up paying the tire eco fee and battery eco fee twice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want to thank those who responded to my query. I managed to avoid the issue altogether when I visited my local Honda dealer who just happened to have an RTL-E in stock and was willing to match the quote I had from the NJ dealer. I went to this dealer just for the purpose of comparing the color combinations they had and, quite unexpectedly, they had the model and color I wanted in stock. This vehicle did not show up in the online inventory because it had just arrived.

I am now the proud owner of a 2017 RL RTL-E in Modern Steel Metallic/Black int. (actually, it's a Christmas present for my wife and her horse, but t's so cool, I want to claim it too!!!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts