Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traded in my 06 Ridgeline RTL in 2014 and was sorry I did. So a year and half later I decided to replace it. I called up 2 of the largest Honda dealers on Long Island only to find out that they were hard to come by and sold very quickly. That's how I came to Truecar. Here are some tips and insight into how that site works.

There are between 650 to 700+ RL's on at any one time. To view them all deselect distance and just punch in your zip. That is how you get to see them all and what are average prices. I did not find one private seller on Tc. They were all either new or used car dealers.

My first mistake was requesting information on too many trucks at once. You have to post your phone # and email address in order to get a response. Since the dealers don't post their names it is hard to keep track of whose who. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS NEGOTIATING ON THE PHONE! Unless you're prepared to go down to the dealer you will not get the lowest price. Period.

I narrowed my search through price going from lowest to highest. There was no point in looking at $20,000 trucks since my budget was way lower. I had the advantage of trading in an RL so I had an idea of what the dealers got them for. Bait and switch is alive and well on Truecar.

RL's hold their value to the 10th degree. You will not find an RTL with under 100,000 miles on it for less then $14,000. The one I had my eye on was listed for $13995 had 94,000 miles on it and was 120 miles away. I was satisfied with the test drive but was not going to spend $14,000 on it. I made it clear that I was willing to walk away from the deal. Same BS we've all been through. Salesman has to speak to his manager blah, blah, blah. Comes back with $12,700. Now I have to s*** or get off the pot. The owner of the dealership see's me close and says will you buy it today for $12,000. That's when I pulled the trigger.

Lucky for me the truck was as good as I thought it was. Put on a new set of Bridgestones changed the fluids and I'm a happy camper again.

My suggestions to anyone in the market for a used Ridge is to use the car buying web sites to your advantage. You cannot trust a salesman to help you with these trucks. I had a Honda salesman insist that RL's had timing chains not belts. Ask as many question on this site as you can about what to look for. Many of these trucks are leakers. Look for wet carpets. My guess is the dealers have around 4 or 5 thousand to play with on these vehicles. And at the very least get a 30 day power train warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
gene r: What year did you get? 2006 again?

I'm looking to buy a Ridgeline RTL. I'm in a 2003 Pilot now, with almost 200k miles (198k and counting). I bought my Pilot in 2010 with 137k miles. It has held up well and I expect someone will be able to squeeze another 50k to 100k miles out of it. I like the look of the RL and the utility of having a small truck. I'm hoping a Ridgeline will last at least 200k like my Pilot. I'm not afraid of driving a Honda from 100k to 200k.

I test drove a 2008 RTL that had just over 100k miles. Dealer was asking $15k for it, which I thought was a great deal. Alas, I waited and now it has sold.

I'm limiting my search to RTL models only. Pricing seems to be all over the place. I really want to find one for under $15k. I'm impressed that you got the price down to $12k. If it is anything newer than 2006, I'm downright astonished.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gene r: What year did you get? 2006 again?

I'm looking to buy a Ridgeline RTL. I'm in a 2003 Pilot now, with almost 200k miles (198k and counting). I bought my Pilot in 2010 with 137k miles. It has held up well and I expect someone will be able to squeeze another 50k to 100k miles out of it. I like the look of the RL and the utility of having a small truck. I'm hoping a Ridgeline will last at least 200k like my Pilot. I'm not afraid of driving a Honda from 100k to 200k.

I test drove a 2008 RTL that had just over 100k miles. Dealer was asking $15k for it, which I thought was a great deal. Alas, I waited and now it has sold.

I'm limiting my search to RTL models only. Pricing seems to be all over the place. I really want to find one for under $15k. I'm impressed that you got the price down to $12k. If it is anything newer than 2006, I'm downright astonished.

It is a 2007. You should be able to bring the price down. There are substantial maintenance items that must be done at that mileage that should be used against the asking price.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
silly_celly said:
really want to find one for under $15k. I'm impressed that you got the price down to $12k. If it is anything newer than 2006, I'm downright astonished.
Then prepare to be astonished and right down as the Rigdiline/Ridgiline and many others on Craigslist are 2011 and newer and sell for 15k asking price which means very likely a small bundle of cash aka. "Gas Monkey Garage bid" gets an even lower settled price at point of sale.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,069 Posts
then prepare to be astonished and right down as the rigdiline/ridgiline and many others on craigslist are 2011 and newer and sell for 15k asking price which means very likely a small bundle of cash aka. "gas monkey garage bid" gets an even lower settled price at point of sale.
gysot!!!!! Woooooo!!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Craigslist is the easiest place to find both owner and dealer wants/sales but sometimes you have to turn off your speelign ckheker
That's a really good idea. Why didn't I think of that before? I'm going to try that.
Wish I was a little closer to Miami. I still wouldn't have found that Craigslist post until you posted it (due to the *ahem* creative spelling), but the weather would be warmer.

On another thread, someone suggested waiting a few months for the 2017 Ridgeline. It was predicted that the principles of supply and demand would kick in and late model Gen 1 Ridgelines (maybe '12 to '14) would become available for a steal as owners traded up to the 2017. I'm strongly considering this strategy. Even so, I still have an appointment this afternoon to go see a '11 RTL with 100k miles - asking price of $19,995. I'm going to print out that CL ad and bring it with me. Thanks for the leverage!

·
Registered
10,069 Posts
^^ Way too much money for 5 years old and that many miles. $16-17k would be fair. They're trying to play the supply and demand game being that they "aren't available" anymore. The only way I would buy that truck right now is if it had perfect maintenance history (including the timing belt service already completed), it didn't have a scratch on it and I could get it for under $17k. Otherwise, WAIT!!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the advice, everyone. The truck was beautiful, but overpriced. It was in good shape, for the most part. A few minor scratches here and there that may not be noticeable to others. Timing belt / water pump had not yet been replaced. I offered $14k and they said their absolute floor was $18,977. They did feed me a line about how these trucks are so rare and they sell fast because they have a cult-following. I know that this particular truck has been on their lot for at least a month and I have about a dozen or so that I'm watching on Autotrader that are all within a 4 hour drive from me. I will just be patient until the '17 is released and folks start to trade up.

·
Registered
10,069 Posts
Thanks for the advice, everyone. The truck was beautiful, but overpriced. It was in good shape, for the most part. A few minor scratches here and there that may not be noticeable to others. Timing belt / water pump had not yet been replaced. I offered $14k and they said their absolute floor was $18,977. They did feed me a line about how these trucks are so rare and they sell fast because they have a cult-following. I know that this particular truck has been on their lot for at least a month and I have about a dozen or so that I'm watching on Autotrader that are all within a 4 hour drive from me. I will just be patient until the '17 is released and folks start to trade up.
There are a few in your local area that seem to be good fits. Check these out:

Cars for Sale: 2007 Honda Ridgeline RTL in Belton, MO 64012: Truck Details - 421856313 - Autotrader

Cars for Sale: 2007 Honda Ridgeline RTL in Olathe, KS 66061: Truck Details - 420995928 - Autotrader

Cars for Sale: 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL in Shawnee, KS 66202: Truck Details - 421254086 - Autotrader

They all have their pros and cons. For the first one, it has the factory navigation and does NOT have a trailer hitch. So, you know it was never used for towing and likely did not have much of a hard life. On the downside, there isn't any maintenance history on it. The second one looks to be in very good shape. It does have the trailer hitch and the Carfax states that the timing belt service was done. The third one (green one) is likely the best option of the three due to its amazing maintenance history on the Carfax, it has a few nice accessories installed and the price is certainly right. The downside is that there is no call-out on the Carfax for the timing belt. At 133k miles, it's definitely due if it hasn't been done yet. Although, being that you could likely get the truck for $1000 less than what they're asking, you could put that money into getting the service done at a Honda dealership right away.

·
Registered
10,069 Posts
Likely a great opportunity to bargain on price due to ALL MODELS recall on airbag components.

There are at least 30-40 Ridgelines on Craigslist in Kansas City
Yes, the way I understand it is that you cannot currently buy a used RL from an actual Honda dealership due to the airbag issue. You can buy one from a different manufacturer's dealership or mom n' pop car lot, though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts