Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is NOT intended to be a negative post(as I see alot of reasons to buy the vehicle) but a tool when negotiating the purchase of your new Ridgeline. What issues have you read or heard about? Here's a few; most of which have been mentioned on this board:

1 Windshield/Air noise

2 No protector under the engine for off-roading

3 The need to use the power lock for passengers exiting the vehicle

4 No lock on the tailgate

5 Transmission issues (same as Pilot)

6 Long term scratches on the large interior handle used to open the doors (generally caused from jewelry)

7 I can buy a Toyota Tundra with a V8 for the same price (or less) that has a proven track record

A good salesperson will tell you all the reasons why you should buy. A good customer will give them the areas of concern for negotiation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Great Points - Currently I think the competition isn't the Tacoma, the Dakota, or the Frontier - but rather the almost full-sized Tundra Quad Cab. At 37K (as compared to the RLS) you can get a great Tundra with many bells and whistles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What are the tranmission issues that are being referenced? Can someone post a thread or site giving some details about this problem. I have a 2003 MDX which has the same engine and transmission as the Ridgeline and have not ever heard this before. :confused:

·
Registered
170 Posts
The transmission is not the same one used in the pilot as as its new there are no known problem. Did you test drive it yet. The transmission feels really good. Now we dont now how things may turn out but I know honda dose not have to have the same problem as they did.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Concerning resale issues, I don't think the Toyota Tundra is doing that well. For those wishing to somehow exit ownership without loosing our (domestic) shirts, the new Tacoma might be a better bet. I drove my new RT-L S/R NAV this week and thought it had many nice features, but for 39K, I decided to study the new Double Cab Tacoma (for 26K) a bit more... :cool:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I test drove a RT-L no no roof or navi, and dealer mark ups made the truck 36,600. So he may have run into similar issues.
I've now seen, white, blue, black and silver, havn't seen green or red in person yet.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sounds like by some of the pricing that y'all are stating, many dealers are tacking on $1-5K premium for no apparent reason. Most of us others are at most paying just MSRP.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yes, dealers are trying to "play" hardball with the prices and take on as much as several thousand dollars (one here added $4K) to the MSRP. Honestly, if you have worked with a dealer before you just have to tell them what you want and are willing to pay which honestly shouldn't ever be over MSRP. If you do pay over that makes sure they throw in enough accessories to cover that amount, or don't do it. Use the accessories you are going to purchase as leverage.

On the other hand, I had one dealer try and charge $120 to "install" the in trunk carpet. It says plainly on the Honda website as you are adding the carpet that "no installation is required". They tried the same number of the in trunk dividers which again required no installation. I got the service manager in and he couldn't say anything accept agree on how rediculous that was right in front of the SM. So I told him what I wanted and the total I would pay for labor and they took it down to what I asked, cutting like $500 off the price. Some dealers charge like $75 per hour for accessory installation, which is of course well about warranty work rates.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Wow, $4,000.00 over, are they selling any? Here I looked at 4 dealers, all of then took delivery, a week ago, of 3 to 5 Ridgeline, As of yesterday not is sold out, and thats selling at MSRP.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In the Philadelphia area, I've notice those dealers selling at MSRP seem to have a good turn-over. Those that are gouging the price well above MSRP seem to have a stock of Ridgelines sitting on their lots collecting dust and winter salt residue. :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts