Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

i'm very interested in buying a Honda Ridgeline. I'm not planning on driving very far (5,000miles max a year), and i don't want to spend too much money, so i'm looking at an 06 or 07.
I find a lot of these with about 200,000miles, and i wanted to ask owners and really everybody's experience with this truck with high mileage. Do you think i can buy this truck with 200k or should i spend more money and get one with less miles?

let me know what you think. thank you very much for your time and help!

Mathieu

·
Registered
165 Posts
It has been proven many times on here that buying one with 200k + is okay to do as long as you can see the history and maintenance on the vehicle. If everything has been done that is required, I would feel comfortable with the purchase. Take a good test drive and see what you think. If the price is right, why not! If there is limited service records and things have not been done you either A, should not buy it, or B talk them down on price and purchase it as you will want to put some $ into it upfront and do things that should have been done around the 100k range. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
It has been proven many times on here that buying one with 200k + is okay to do as long as you can see the history and maintenance on the vehicle. If everything has been done that is required, I would feel comfortable with the purchase. Take a good test drive and see what you think. If the price is right, why not! If there is limited service records and things have not been done you either A, should not buy it, or B talk them down on price and purchase it as you will want to put some $ into it upfront and do things that should have been done around the 100k range. Just my opinion.
... "and do things that should have been done around the 100k"... and also those things that were scheduled again around 200K miles (all all points in between)!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
... "and do things that should have been done around the 100k"... and also those things that were scheduled again around 200K miles (all all points in between)!!
HA! That was my indirect way of saying timing belt and water pump and a variety of other fluids :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you all for the answers. Those are good points. Anything else i should make sure of beside the timing belt and the pump?
I've found one for 6500$ with 200,000 miles, what do you think?
If there is anybody else with experience, it is much appreciated!

thanks again

·
Registered
252 Posts
6500 would be a acceptable price if the timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt pulley, new tires or very good tread depth left and all fluids have been changed. If not offer them 3000.00 because you have about 2000.00 dollars worth of maintenance if done by a dealer to do on a truck with this much mileage.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just bought a ridgeline RTL from a close acquaintance that has 285K and I paid $4000 for it. It is in incredible shape though all Highway miles and one owner. He had all the belts and stuff done to it before I got it. But more miles = more money to make it mine.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Plan to change the radiator, unless it looks new.... this is preventive.... a potential problem exists with OEM radiator (serious consequences if it fails), and with that many miles, I'd be changing it out. It's not terribly expensive.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
As with any used vehicle, have a pre-purchase inspection done by a mechanic of your choice (paid by you). Honda has some components that are brand-specific in design, such as the transmission, so the mechanic should be Honda-trained. They'll do it at a dealership.

As long as it appears mechanically fit, you can save any feelings of it being "worn out" for at least another 100,000 miles, at which point you'll be matching the experience of some other owners here who passed 300,000 a while ago with well-maintained Ridgelines that look and feel the same as Day 1.

All of the preventative maintenance items mentioned in previous posts should be done if they are not detectably done already. If they all need doing, it could easily cost over $1000. Even the Honda fluids aren't cheap. Make it all part of the negotiation, or bargain hard and have it done yourself. I wouldn't let a non-Honda mechanic touch mine for most of this maintenance, as it's easy to make a mistake without the experience.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts