Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed a buzz or rattle in their front dash speakers ? Depending on what type of music I am listening to, it sounds like I have sand or something on top of the speakers, making an annoying noise. I was going to try and check them myself, it looks like the small grilles are a seperate panel fro the dash and pop out. Any ideas/comments ?????

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I have not noticed any annoying sounds from the front speakers on the dash. Sounds like you might have a piece that is loose. Some of the plastic parts are very flimsy and fragile so that would not surprise me if something came loose. If you decide to take the grill out...please post your experience with removing the grill. I'm interested on how easy it would be to replace the front dash speakers. Thanks.

L

·
0 Posts
I have 2,500 miles on my RL and no noise or vibration of any kind in the speakers.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yes, I am hearing some kind of rattle from my front left dash area, by the tweeter. Not sure what to do--may have the dealer looking into it.

Aloha,
Keoni

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keoni said:
Yes, I am hearing some kind of rattle from my front left dash area, by the tweeter. Not sure what to do--may have the dealer looking into it.

Aloha,
Keoni
I did some poking around yesterday, and popped out the tweeter. The sound definitely comes from there. Not sure if it is the grill, or the tweeter itself. I'll keep you posted.............

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
I haven't noticed any rattling or buzzing from the dash in my Ridgeline. I have only had it 2 days but I will keep my ears open.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Crazy, but I test drove one and I kept hearing a rattling from the passenger dash....So I got out and sat in the passenger seat, tapped relatively lightly on the dash a few times and consistantly got a "nice" rattle. I simply put my hand (lightly) on the tweeter panel (covering the tweeter) and the noise (rattle) stopped. This vehicle also had another, cosmetic, flaw with the airbag cover on the passenger dash...there was a gap on the bottom side of it where you could put you finger nail under it...

This is probably some poor fit and finish issues on covers (tweenter) and / or airbag covers, but obviously it is happening enough that more than one or two vehicles are exhibiting it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It is definately coming from the tweeter cover. I suiffed a lillte paper towel in the space btwn the windshield and tweeter cover... Noise stopped. Just tapping on the cover lightly will show you how loose it is. Other side is the same and it is starting to act up. My airbag cover is peeling away from the dash as well. Looks like they speced the wrong size cover and it doesn't quite fit. Taking it in Tues for this and windshield saga, will let you know what they say.

·
Registered
876 Posts
My dash/speaker grills were rattling the second time I drove it (two weeks ago). Same deal -- just a light touch on the grill made the rattling stop. I took it to the dealer, and they installed foam tape under the grills, and they haven't rattled since.

NOW I'm hearing the glove box make a noise on rough pavement... anyone have troubles with that yet?

·
Registered
491 Posts
I also had a rattle coming from my front speaker...it ended up being a box of Altoids in the pocket shaking from the base....watch for stuff in the pocket-it happens :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Had the same problem with the tweeter covers and fixed it with some double-stick foam tape. The tape came with the IR emitters I bought for some hoem theater gear. The tape is really thin, probably a millimeter thick, or so. I cut little pieces out and placed them on the bottom of the speaker grill where is contacts the dash, then pressed down lightly so the tape would make contact, and now it's silent. I also was going crazy with a sound from the glove box. I removed all the contents and the sound went away. After I put the maunual back in the box everything is quite. I belive the quick start guide, with its metal rings, was vibrating in the glove box over rough terrain. The manual put enough weight on the little book to hold it in place. I'm very happy now, real easy fixes. Forgot to mention - The tweeters looked to be a little better quality than expected. I believe they are fabric-dome style and the magnets had a little more weight to them than I thought they would.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I'll try removing the manual and the quick guide from the glovebox -- that's all I've got in there, so didn't think they were the culprits, but maybe... I hope it's that simple.

Unfortunately, I developed a low tolerance for mysterious interior noises having owned a 2000 New Beetle that rattled at the blink of an eye, followed by a 2002 MDX that developed a host of rattles and squeaks the more miles I put on it, some of the fixable, some of them not....

·
Registered
876 Posts
Removing all items from glove box does NOT stop noise. Applying pressure to face of glove box duplicates noise. I just tried pieces of foam tape in area behind glove box cover where noise seems to come from (clicky, creaky noise, is the best I can describe it, aggravated by rough roads), but it was not a fix.

I will bring it to the service manager's attention next time I'm in, but was hoping for an easy, non-dealer correction. No one else has had this problem?

·
Registered
484 Posts
I've got a loose grille over the FL tweeter and a couple of other rattles that I need to be a passenger to find. They will ALL be brought to the dealers attn.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Re: Buzz/Rattle in the front dash speakers (creaky glovebox, too)

Although it doesn't sound like anyone else has had a creaky glovebox problem, I thought I would report that after unsuccessfully attempting to correct the problem with foam pads, the dealer's service guys replaced the entire glove box this week, and that seems to have fixed the problem.

Interestingly, I got a call from American Honda yesterday -- a customer service person and a technician on the phone -- calling about my written responses to their survey. Although I had clearly described the glove box problem separately from my comments about the wind noise on the survey, they had somehow misinterpreted my comments to think that the wind noise was connected to the glove box! I didn't realize this until several minutes into the conversation, after explaining the wind noise, and the now intermittent whistle, in great detail to them.

They were very solicitous, very kind, and asked me to call back (the customer service guy gave me his direct number) if I have trouble getting the wind noise/whistle resolved.

·
Registered
579 Posts
1 down, 2 to go.....rattles that is. Plus a molding issue.

I have three rattles. One in the pillar on the driver's side. The dealer pulled the panel over it and applied some gunk and now that one is gone. I'm taking it back in tomorrow to try to figure out where the other two are. I believe one is the passenger side air bag cover. Has anyone else had that issue? The other is behind the driver somewhere. Maybe in the left rear door panel or in the door pillar between the two left doors. Anyone else have a rattle in that area?

Also, we bought those side moldings and when we picked the truck up, we noticed a ripple in the moldings. They are replacing them tomorrow as well. So be sure to check for ripples in your side moldings.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Embo_9, Is the noise from the drivers area door a rattle or more like a squeaking. I have a nerve shattering noise that I only hear around 70 mph. My wife even backed me up on this one on a trip we just took. She finally said " It sounds like styrofoam rubbing". I looked when I had the door open and by gosh I can see styrofoam inside the front fender. I am not sure If the sound Is coming fron there, or if the drivers door has some in it to. Anyway since I have been home I kind of forgot about it as it does not do it in my normal low speed driving conditions. It was something I was going to have the service dept. chase down on my next trip in.

·
Registered
579 Posts
It's a rattling, I think. I'll listen again.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Got my Ridgeline 3 hours ago and took it for 100 km test-drive. Found the tweeter squeak on the driver’s side. Same thing if I put my hand over it the squeak goes away. I don't know if I should attempt to fix it myself or take it to the dealership. Also, I think I heard a rattle from the passenger side, will listen more carefully tomorrow. I was listening for that wind noise as well and did not hear any whistling sounds. Will see how it goes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts