Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed a buzzing noise in the drivers side while driving. It happens more often in warmer weather. This noise can happen at any speed between 25 to 70 mph , flat uphill or down. I have had it to the dealers twice and even called Honda, there is a service advisery for torque converter chatter, but the dealer says no code no problem. The noise sounds like an old game show buzz for wrong answer., it does not affect the speed or drive...it did it since new, I only have 6500 miles on it and have it 8 months. Any suggestions Honda, there is a service advisery for torque converter chatter, but the dealer says no code no problem. The noise sounds like an old game show buzz for wrong answer., it does not affect the speed or drive...it did it since new, I only have 6500 miles on it and have it 8 months. Any suggestions

·
Registered
105 Posts
Try to narrow it down a little.

Is the noise it inside or outside the cabin?

Next time it occurs notice the rpm and determine if it follows engine speed.

If going at speed drop the transmission in neutral when it occurs. Does it follow wheel speed?

Is the VCM engaging?

All these may help when discussing with the service advisor. Take them for a test drive and replicate it if possible.

Good Luck

·
Registered
125 Posts
I’ve mentioned this on the forum before. Not sure if my Buzz is the same as yours. Mine is a short 1-2 Second Brrrrrrt

It’s SO random there is no way for me to track it down.

Cheers,
Tru...ar

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I’ve noticed on mine if i leave anything in the doors and they touch the sides it will make a noise. First r instance, I have a hair brush I leave in one of the door storage areas. I5 took me forever to figure out if it touches the sides of the door it will vibrate and it’s really hard to tell where it’s coming from

·
Registered
542 Posts
I think I’ve heard this brrrrt sound one time....it came about during some type of throttle input or change and I was thinking the VCM had a “not sure” moment and it was in between engaging or not.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have been hearing this noise lately every now and then. A couple of weeks ago I removed the VCMuzzler, so perhaps it is the VCM kicking in, but I can´t say that for sure. But, I don´t recall hearing that noise when I had the Muzzler installed. The noise is not very loud, does not sound problematic, and lasts only a second or two, so I have not worried about it so far (but who am I to say).

·
Registered
229 Posts
It "could" be the hood separating at a certain speed and vibrating. I've seen other posts that the aluminum hood and fiberglass inner panel is delaminating.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The sound I hear is Definitely a “Produced” sound, it’s not a random vibration. The sound I hear ( we may all be discussing different sounds) is very defined in both frequency and duration. It’s a Brrrrrrrrt that lasts about 1 second, I often hear it 2 or 3 times in 10 minutes and then I won’t hear it for several weeks!!

I will say that I tend to hear it more on the highway.

It’s such a defined noise, that I assume it’s “Normal”.

I know some of you will suggest that I bring it to the Dealer— not a chance, these are the same Monkeys that insisted that the water in the fuel filler is “Normal”.

Unless it catches fire, they’ll never see it!

Cheers,
Tru...ar

·
Registered
125 Posts
All,

I took the RL on a long trip this weekend up to Jackman ME ( 275 mikes) the “Buzzing” continues. I tried everything to locate it or narrow down the location.

It appears to come from the Drivers area, perhaps under the hood. Other guys in the truck could hear it as well. It would last for anywhere from 1 to 6 seconds long.

I thought it might be a damper motor for the climate control, but turning off that system didn’t affect the noise, neither did turning on/off cruise control.
I thought it might be the brake booster, but a peek under the hood reveals that all the brake mechanicals are on the passengers side of the engine bay, the only thing on the drivers side is the air filter box.

The sound occurred several hundred times in my 12 Hour drive!! At one point I took off my shoes and poked around up under the dash with my stocking feet hoping to locate the source—nada!

Of course now I’m so tuned into the sound, it’s all I can hear!

It just so happens that my buddy with the exact same truck was also on this trip in his truck. I asked him if he hears the noise and described the problem and asked him to listen for it, but he did not hear it at all.

I dread bringing it to the stealership because I know I’ll get some BS story.

Does anyone else hear this? Any Honda techs out there that can point me down a diagnosis path?

Cheers,
Tru...ar

·
Administrator
15,248 Posts
All,

I took the RL on a long trip this weekend up to Jackman ME ( 275 mikes) the “Buzzing” continues. I tried everything to locate it or narrow down the location.

It appears to come from the Drivers area, perhaps under the hood. Other guys in the truck could hear it as well. It would last for anywhere from 1 to 6 seconds long.

I thought it might be a damper motor for the climate control, but turning off that system didn’t affect the noise, neither did turning on/off cruise control.
I thought it might be the brake booster, but a peek under the hood reveals that all the brake mechanicals are on the passengers side of the engine bay, the only thing on the drivers side is the air filter box.

The sound occurred several hundred times in my 12 Hour drive!! At one point I took off my shoes and poked around up under the dash with my stocking feet hoping to locate the source—nada!

Of course now I’m so tuned into the sound, it’s all I can hear!

It just so happens that my buddy with the exact same truck was also on this trip in his truck. I asked him if he hears the noise and described the problem and asked him to listen for it, but he did not hear it at all.

I dread bringing it to the stealership because I know I’ll get some BS story.

Does anyone else hear this? Any Honda techs out there that can point me down a diagnosis path?

Cheers,
Tru...ar
A few random thoughts while reading this...

1) Turning "off" the climate control system doesn't stop the blend door actuators from operating - they'll continue moving in an attempt to control the cabin temperature.

2) The VSA modulator makes a "humming" sound as it applies the brakes, but this should only happen when the ACC is engaged or the CMBS has detected a possible collision.

3) The electric power steering motor is located on the steering column under the dash (as opposed to on the steering rack outside the cabin) in the Ridgeline. Perhaps it has a has a loose wire in the coil winding that is vibrating under certain conditions - the current to the EPS motor is constantly changing while the vehicle is in motion.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well I can say I had a similar buzz coming from the brake booster area when the VCM kicked in. Put the VCM Muzzler on and it was no more. The VCM kicked in once with the blue resistor installed during very hot weather and the buzz was a dead give away. Changed to a red resistor and have not heard since.

I believe the MPG indicator and such also changed color when it happened (VCM kicking in). Did you observe any changes to the display when the buzz occurred? I know these kind of things are frustrating and I hope you narrow it down and post the cause when you find it.

Good Luck and God bless

·
Registered
125 Posts
ZRoger,
Thanks for the reply! I appreciate your input!

I investigated your points to see if I could narrow down the issue.

I sat in my driveway with the truck running and changed the temperature a few times to see if it might be the blending door motor(s), nothing! In fact, I never heard the noise at all while idling for 30 minutes.

As far as the ACC activating the brakes, I don’t think that’s the source either since I hear the noise at all times, going up hills and level flight.

The steering motor may be something, I’ll look for the actual motor this weekend and see if I can feel it while driving.

I’ll also have to try to isolate the VCM vibration, I don’t know what the vibration feels or sounds like, but the sound I hear varies from 1 to 6 seconds.

Is there a way to “Activate” the VCM vibration?

Thanks to all who are trying to help me solve this issue!

Cheers,
Tru...ar

·
Registered
542 Posts
Have you tried while you’re driving down a flat stretch of highway to get on the pedal for a bit and then ease off to a constant speed to see if it induces the noise as if it’s going into VCM mode when it likely should be.

·
Administrator
15,248 Posts
The steering motor may be something, I’ll look for the actual motor this weekend and see if I can feel it while driving.

I’ll also have to try to isolate the VCM vibration, I don’t know what the vibration feels or sounds like, but the sound I hear varies from 1 to 6 seconds.
Here's a photo showing the EPS motor.

There's nothing about VCM that can/should "buzz". There's a slight "rumble" (like a very low bass note) that can sometimes be heard and felt under certain conditions by certain drivers, but I can't imagine how it could be described as a "buzz". Some have described the VCM as feeling like a muted version of driving over rumble strips, but even that's stretching the description quite a bit.

Does this noise occur at a particular RPM or range of RPM's?

Does it occur frequently enough so that a passenger can make a video (audio) recording of it?

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had a similar problem since new in 2016. I thought it was a motor that would cycle on and off briefly until I realized it was only at 1750 rpm. On the hwy when cruising at this rpm it could stay on for long periods until you hit the accelerator. I cannot reproduce it in the driveway revving to that rpm. It sounds like it comes from the left front area of the vehicle.
Any help would be appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am experiencing the same rumbling noise from the front driver's side when i hit roughly 2,000 rpm. It is a very narrow range in rpm's when this occurs. The best way to describe the noise is that it sounds like a loud truck is coming up from behind and about to pass you. Anyone have a diagnosis? Theory?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi!

Sooooo glad I found this thread so quickly...I thought it was just me. My RTS began the "Bttttht" on Thursday, exactly as described here already. No ACC, doesn't seem to matter if HVAC is on or off. Doesn't seem to appear over 75mph (we just drove to TX and back from Baltimore so I had ample opportunity to test for this).

it started after a day of very heavy rain driving in Houston, plus a soggy drive home. The next few days are supposed to be dry. I'll let you know if there is a correlation or not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2017 Ridgeline and get a buzzing cell on acceleration. When the noise begins I have discovered letting off the accelerator will make it stop. The next time I accelerate dit may or may not return. It has been doing this since I have had the vehicle. Honda does not know what is causing it. (2 different dealers). I live in the DFW area with a lot of traffic, hard to hear in traffic. When driving in quiet it comes in loud and clear. It does not seem to affect anything or then it being a nuisance. The noise reminds me of a stuck transformer. A friend of mind also has the same issue with his 2017 Ridgeline. It seems as if it is tied to the acceleration system. The last time I took it in it was in city traffic. Very hared for the service advisor to hear because of road noise. But its there and there is a reason. I've read enough on line to know its an issue. Honda should make a huge effort to discover the root cause of this. Other than this my vehicle has been great!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts