Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been having this same "brrrrrt" noise for a couple of weeks. It's incredibly random, seems to manifest itself between 40-60 mph. Just a short 1-2 second "brrrt" from the driver's side front area. It doesn't sound like it's in the cabin. It's almost sounds like an alternator bearing. But the fact that it's so random and short makes zero sense to me.

·
Administrator
15,673 Posts
I've been having this same "brrrrrt" noise for a couple of weeks. It's incredibly random, seems to manifest itself between 40-60 mph. Just a short 1-2 second "brrrt" from the driver's side front area. It doesn't sound like it's in the cabin. It's almost sounds like an alternator bearing. But the fact that it's so random and short makes zero sense to me.
Does it occur when the throttle suddenly closes (such as when lifting your foot from the accelerator or during shifts)? If so, it could be the OAD (Overrunning Alternator Decoupler - a one-way clutch that allows the alternator to spin faster than its pulley).

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
605 Posts
If it’s during steady cruise, it could be the VCM system engaging or disengaging. I’ve heard a sound similar to that once. If it happens frequently, a trip to the dealer should be considered.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I actually caught some video of it occurring. From what I can see, it's the VCM system. The dash lights go from green to white while the noise happens. My scheduled maintenance is due shortly so I'll talk to the dealer about it.

Question tho, anyone noticed that a search for "vcm" on the forums comes up with no results? If I search for it on Google, any time I click a link results in these forums saying "The requested page cannot be found."

I don't want to be conspiratorial, but is Honda trying to muzzle vcm discussion or something?

·
Administrator
15,673 Posts
Can you upload your video and share a link to it? I'm curious what it sounds like since I've never heard anything like what you're describing.

It's not a conspiracy - Honda has no control over this forum. :) Unfortunately, the search feature is not fully functional since the forum software upgrade yesterday. I've reported the issue and I'm told it could take some time for it to index all the posts made over the last 15 years. Hopefully, it will finish and/or get fixed soon - it's a VERY valuable tool.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good to know regarding the search. I've been a member in other forums (not ridgeline related) where lawyers have sent letters to have certain posts removed for "misrepresenting" certain situations.

Here is the video. It's tough to hear, you can hear the buzz/rattle stop just before the fuel economy gauges go green again. In real life, it's got a bit of more of a tinny ring to it.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I only hear a sharp tap in your video

·
Registered
10 Posts
The sound really didn't come through very well. The noise is occurring throughout the video until the gauge lights go green. I'll see if I can't get a better video.

·
Administrator
15,673 Posts
Oh, I hear it for sure. It sounds like a two-stroke outboard motor or a turbine engine on a plane running at full speed until it stops at 9 seconds in the video. I have no clue what that could be - neither of my G2 Ridgelines have made that sound. Perhaps it's a faulty active control engine mount causing excessive vibrations or something is loose on the engine itself and vibrating when it's running on three cylinders.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have noticed a buzzing noise in the drivers side while driving. It happens more often in warmer weather. This noise can happen at any speed between 25 to 70 mph , flat uphill or down. I have had it to the dealers twice and even called Honda, there is a service advisery for torque converter chatter, but the dealer says no code no problem. The noise sounds like an old game show buzz for wrong answer., it does not affect the speed or drive...it did it since new, I only have 6500 miles on it and have it 8 months. Any suggestions Honda, there is a service advisery for torque converter chatter, but the dealer says no code no problem. The noise sounds like an old game show buzz for wrong answer., it does not affect the speed or drive...it did it since new, I only have 6500 miles on it and have it 8 months. Any suggestions
We had a buzzing noise from the driver's side that resembled the noise that driving over rumble strips makes (but toned down). It was wind rattling the plastic strip on the A-pillar by the glass. Honda ordered clips and it solved our problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Has anyone with this issue found resolution. I have a 2017 G2 with about 26K miles on it and I started experiencing the brat noise last month on a cross country trip. Now it happens randomly all the time when driving at constant speeds, primarily on highway. I was able to notice the dash lights go from green to white during the noise and then back to green when it stops, so my assumption it is the VCM module making the noise. But has anyone actually had it fixed?

·
Premium Member
1,887 Posts
I've got a little buzz in the dash that goes away when I press on it directly in front of my left hand. It also goes away when I'm listening to good rock & roll cranked up.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I had a buzz where the left corner of the dash lay near the windshield. When parked in the sun the upper dash pad would expand and buzz against the glass I think. I could push the pad down and buzz would quit until next time truck was in the sun. Never had it fixed I just stuffed a piece of foam between the edge of the dash pad and the windshield.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too have had a similar sound that is SO IRRITATING!! It doesn't happen often but when it does, it makes me want to yank open every panel, pull the carpet out, etc. to find out what that blasted noise is!! Here are the circumstances when it occurs - it only does it when it’s very hot outside 90 degrees or hotter (never has it done it when it is cooler) AND you are driving on a coarse road surface. It appears to be coming from under the left side of dash or maybe at the base of left floorboard (dead pedal) area. My theory is its outside the vehicle as it has to be hot outside for it to occur. In fact when driving 45 mins into a trip with the AC running and 96 degrees out, it started doing it... I even when so far as to remove the plastic wheel well and replace all the grommets with form cushions to dampen any vibrations - didn't fix it!

Attached is a recording of the noise - i placed my phone under the left side of dash while it was occurring to capture the sound.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I too have had a similar sound that is SO IRRITATING!! It doesn't happen often but when it does, it makes me want to yank open every panel, pull the carpet out, etc. to find out what that blasted noise is!! Here are the circumstances when it occurs - it only does it when it’s very hot outside 90 degrees or hotter (never has it done it when it is cooler) AND you are driving on a coarse road surface. It appears to be coming from under the left side of dash or maybe at the base of left floorboard (dead pedal) area. My theory is its outside the vehicle as it has to be hot outside for it to occur. In fact when driving 45 mins into a trip with the AC running and 96 degrees out, it started doing it... I even when so far as to remove the plastic wheel well and replace all the grommets with form cushions to dampen any vibrations - didn't fix it!

Attached is a recording of the noise - i placed my phone under the left side of dash while it was occurring to capture the sound.
Please please let me know if you figure out what this is. I have the exact same sound coming from the drivers area. Smooth roads equal no sound but tougher roads at highway speeds bring it out every time. Mine had been into the dealer twice and they haven’t been able to duplicate it - of course.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Does it make the noise with the AC turned off. If not could be a cooling fan motor or AC compressor. I have a similar noise which I suspect is one of the above. Only does it on very hot day with AC turned on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The sound is present regardless if AC is off/on. The best i can describe the sound is it sounds like a very thin piece of metal vibrating induced by coarse pavement transmitting into the body/cabin. When on smooth roads it doesn't do it, as soon as you hit coarse pavement it sounds off. keep point is it has to be HOT outside and traveling on coarse pavement

·
Registered
244 Posts
On my 2017 the left corner near the A pillar would buzz on hot days. Try pressing down on the top of the dash and see if that helps. I finally stuck a foam block between the glass and the edge of the dash near the a pillar. I saw where someone else mentioned the boot buzzing where the steering shaft goes through the fire wall. It's a split plastic boot and the edges were vibrating together along the split. Said stuffed some foam and stopped that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does it make the noise with the AC turned off. If not could be a cooling fan motor or AC compressor. I have a similar noise which I suspect is one of the above. Only does it on very hot day with AC turned on.
On my 2017 the left corner near the A pillar would buzz on hot days. Try pressing down on the top of the dash and see if that helps. I finally stuck a foam block between the glass and the edge of the dash near the a pillar. I saw where someone else mentioned the boot buzzing where the steering shaft goes through the fire wall. It's a split plastic boot and the edges were vibrating together along the split. Said stuffed some foam and stopped that.
Redman7.0, did you ever resolve or find the source of the buzzing noise?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have noticed a buzzing noise in the drivers side while driving. It happens more often in warmer weather. This noise can happen at any speed between 25 to 70 mph , flat uphill or down. I have had it to the dealers twice and even called Honda, there is a service advisery for torque converter chatter, but the dealer says no code no problem. The noise sounds like an old game show buzz for wrong answer., it does not affect the speed or drive...it did it since new, I only have 6500 miles on it and have it 8 months. Any suggestions Honda, there is a service advisery for torque converter chatter, but the dealer says no code no problem. The noise sounds like an old game show buzz for wrong answer., it does not affect the speed or drive...it did it since new, I only have 6500 miles on it and have it 8 months. Any suggestions

Find this somewhat unnecessary plastic flap in the engine bay. It is held on by two round push clips. Sound should go away.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts