Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Administrator
15,727 Posts
Find this somewhat unnecessary plastic flap in the engine bay. It is held on by two round push clips. Sound should go away.
Honda calls this part a "fuse box deflector". It serves some purpose, otherwise they wouldn't have put it there. It could be to block/direct heat/air or shield components from splashing water.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I might as well chime in, I akin this new 'sound' to sand hitting the window, on the drivers side?
I don't really recall it happenning, just noticed in the last few months.
Intermittent for sure, sometimes worse? I think it was bad when there was a big cross wind one day and yes, generally going over 60 mph, slow down and I think it fades....Huh!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have noticed a buzzing noise in the drivers side while driving. It happens more often in warmer weather. This noise can happen at any speed between 25 to 70 mph , flat uphill or down. I have had it to the dealers twice and even called Honda, there is a service advisery for torque converter chatter, but the dealer says no code no problem. The noise sounds like an old game show buzz for wrong answer., it does not affect the speed or drive...it did it since new, I only have 6500 miles on it and have it 8 months. Any suggestions Honda, there is a service advisery for torque converter chatter, but the dealer says no code no problem. The noise sounds like an old game show buzz for wrong answer., it does not affect the speed or drive...it did it since new, I only have 6500 miles on it and have it 8 months. Any suggestions
I have a 2017 Ridgeline, and I'm having the same problem. Took to the dealer 3 times in the last 2 months, but they tell me they can't find anything wrong!!! Very annoying buzzing sound! A real shame for such a nice vehicle! Was considering trading it in, but having second thoughts after reading these posts...

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
I have a 2017 Ridgeline, and I'm having the same problem. Took to the dealer 3 times in the last 2 months, but they tell me they can't find anything wrong!!! Very annoying buzzing sound! A real shame for such a nice vehicle! Was considering trading it in, but having second thoughts after reading these posts...
Like most posts with any issues "Dealer cant find it". Took my"19" in for going in reverse and slightly hit the brakes, then the brake click. "We didnt here anything" BS its their every time every day here it with windows up since new and so noticeable left side. I will just document it and watch recalls wait for a brake change in another 4 years and drive on just like my G1. Not worried about it. Back to the other issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Can’t find the related post but I believe another forum user sourced the buzzing he was experiencing from a small metal box under drivers side dash, on right side of steering column.

I had a similar buzz and this was the source for mine as well. Here is a pic:
0975E4DD-9FF4-441C-A4C2-8BF177ECB2E1.jpeg

·
Registered
40 Posts
Were you able to resolve the buzzing from this box? I have a really annoying metallic vibration from the drivers side when going over bumpy roads or hitting the rumble strip. It’s like something is loose. I’ll also look at that fuse box deflector.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Were you able to resolve the buzzing from this box? I have a really annoying metallic vibration from the drivers side when going over bumpy roads or hitting the rumble strip. It’s like something is loose. I’ll also look at that fuse box deflector.
This is exactly the noise I had; a metallic buzzing while on rough roads at highway speeds. Put some tape on the edge of that box and gone. Now if I could only solve the vibration through the firewall ??‍♂

·
Registered
40 Posts
Can’t find the related post but I believe another forum user sourced the buzzing he was experiencing from a small metal box under drivers side dash, on right side of steering column.

I had a similar buzz and this was the source for mine as well. Here is a pic: View attachment 397784 View attachment 397784
I just went outside and plucked at that box and it made the exact rattle that I hear when driving over bumps! Looks like a couple zip ties and a price of foam should fix it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
@jfaldridge @Towny9 I put some duct tape around the box in the pic above (attached to the motor on the steering shaft under the dash), and that metallic rattling is gone! I had a nice long trip home today with no rattling for the first time.

·
Registered
67 Posts
@jfaldridge @Towny9 I put some duct tape around the box in the pic above (attached to the motor on the steering shaft under the dash), and that metallic rattling is gone! I had a nice long trip home today with no rattling for the first time.
thanks for the heads up. Now that it is cold I don’t hear it as often. When this thread popped back up in my feed it prompted me to locate the box under the dash - it’s not the easiest to get to...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just FYI - that motor on the steering column under the dash is the Electric Power Steering motor. :)
I put some aluminum tape on three sides to tape the cover to the motor. It definitely reduced the noise. My noise is when the motor randomaly runs for 1 to 3 seconds. I’ve driven the truck 18,000 miles and never heard the noise and all of a sudden it starts making noise. Does anybody know if is is normal for the steering motor to randomally run when going straight. Or am I just dealing with a cover that has just started vibrating that I now here the motor? Thanks

·
Administrator
15,727 Posts
Does anybody know if is is normal for the steering motor to randomally run when going straight.
The EPS motor doesn't continuously rotate in one direction unless the steering wheel is being turned, but it is constantly moving back and forth slightly in response to extremely small steering wheel inputs when your hands are on the wheel and from the steering rack when the vehicle is in motion (damping compensation). If there is too much clearance in a bearing or gear or a lack of lubrication, these small, constant corrections may become audible from the EPS motor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The EPS motor doesn't continuously rotate in one direction unless the steering wheel is being turned, but it is constantly moving back and forth slightly in response to extremely small steering wheel inputs when your hands are on the wheel and from the steering steering rack when the vehicle is in motion (damping compensation). If there is too much clearance in a bearing or gear or a lack of lubrication, these small, constant corrections may become audible from the EPS motor.
From that description a 1 to 4 second Brrrrrrrrrrrt when going straight with no steering wheel input would indicate the system is unstable at times, oscillating and abnormal. Nothing can be felt in the wheel or seems abnormal excerpt the noise. I’ll take it to the dealers or repair while it is still under warranty. Thanks

·
Administrator
15,727 Posts
From that description a 1 to 4 second Brrrrrrrrrrrt when going straight with no steering wheel input would indicate the system is unstable at times, oscillating and abnormal. Nothing can be felt in the wheel or seems abnormal excerpt the noise. I’ll take it to the dealers or repair while it is still under warranty. Thanks
"Brrrt" and "1 to 4 seconds" make me think you might be hearing a secondary vibration due to a failed motor mount or loose component when the engine is running in three-cylinder mode (VCM).

Also, does this happen only when using the Adaptive Cruise Control? If so, you may be hearing the hydraulic pump in the VSA modulator as it applies the brakes to slow the vehicle. Unlike some other Hondas with virtually silent VSA modulators, the Ridgeline's is quite audible and makes a low-frequency hum that has been described as "brrrt". :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
"Brrrt" and "1 to 4 seconds" make me think you might be hearing a secondary vibration due to a failed motor mount or loose component when the engine is running in three-cylinder mode (VCM).

Also, does this happen only when using the Adaptive Cruise Control? If so, you may be hearing the hydraulic pump in the VSA modulator as it applies the brakes to slow the vehicle. Unlike some other Hondas with virtually silent VSA modulators, the Ridgeline's is quite audible and makes a low-frequency hum that has been described as "brrrt". :)
I was able greatly reduce the Brrrt sound by placing aluminum tape on the tin cover on the motor under the steering wheel column. I understand what 3 cylinder mode sounds like and this is different, this is much more noticeable than the 3 cylinder mode. I am using ACC but no breaking or need to break going on when it happens. I have a 300 mile trip today, I will leave the acc off to see if it continues. Last week I drove a 2500 mile round trip to Vegas so I have had lots of opportunities to hear it. It only happens while going straight and seems to be more frequent and longer with the lane keeping assist off and hands off of the wheel. I’ll experiment more with it today. Thanks for your input and suggestions.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I too have had a similar sound that is SO IRRITATING!! It doesn't happen often but when it does, it makes me want to yank open every panel, pull the carpet out, etc. to find out what that blasted noise is!! Here are the circumstances when it occurs - it only does it when it’s very hot outside 90 degrees or hotter (never has it done it when it is cooler) AND you are driving on a coarse road surface. It appears to be coming from under the left side of dash or maybe at the base of left floorboard (dead pedal) area. My theory is its outside the vehicle as it has to be hot outside for it to occur. In fact when driving 45 mins into a trip with the AC running and 96 degrees out, it started doing it... I even when so far as to remove the plastic wheel well and replace all the grommets with form cushions to dampen any vibrations - didn't fix it!

Attached is a recording of the noise - i placed my phone under the left side of dash while it was occurring to capture the sound.
I have this same noise! OMG it drives me crazy. I'm certain it is somewhere inside the cabin... dash area. Let us know if you find anything please.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have this same noise! OMG it drives me crazy. I'm certain it is somewhere inside the cabin... dash area. Let us know if you find anything please.
I had great luck tapeing all assessable sides of the tin motor cover on the underside of the steering column with aluminum tape to the motor. The noise is so faint now you can barely hear it. I’m thinking tapeing adding a small mass, a quarter, to the top of the tin cover to change its resonanate frequency and see if that helps eliminate the noise.

·
Registered
140 Posts
So I started hearing a few weeks ago this noise in the cockpit. Couldn't figure it out. Like a whirring sound. Very infrequent. Thought it was a phone buzzing on vibrate. Nope. Thought it was my aviation headset noise cancelling. Nope, none of the above. So drove back and forth to work the other day (99 miles each way) and noticed it much more frequently. Using my scan gauge I initially thought it was due to the VCM activation, but today I proved that theory inaccurate. It is def coming from the drivers side foot well under the dash. It sounds like an ABS pump chattering? I also notice that the RPMs fluctuate down while it is happening. I have an appointment next Thursday at the dealer to check that out. Thoughts?

41 - 60 of 79 Posts