Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
So.....After 15,000 miles of NO issues with my VCM. Here. We. Go. I did a 90 mile round trip today and it's getting worse. I was able to get the VCM to activate quite a bit and got the brrrrt sound mostly when the throttle is pushed and right before the VCM shuts off, and also a low pitched growling sound mostly the entire time the VCM is activated. Dealer visit on Thursday should be interesting.

·
Super Moderator
1,524 Posts
Skip the dealer. Buy a S-VCM and get it over with. If you are bothered by the noises then just "do it".

Steve

·
Registered
140 Posts
So I finally got to the dealer for warranty work, at ~16,650 a few days ago. They called said they couldn't reproduce the sound. I made an appt to drive it with the tech or service manager. They both ended up coming along. After it warmed up after a few miles, I got it to make the noise. It continued to get worse as we drove. The manager said he happened to be texting the area service manager from Honda, and that he suggested a motor mount was "collapsed." They are going to dig into it more. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I finally got to the dealer for warranty work, at ~16,650 a few days ago. They called said they couldn't reproduce the sound. I made an appt to drive it with the tech or service manager. They both ended up coming along. After it warmed up after a few miles, I got it to make the noise. It continued to get worse as we drove. The manager said he happened to be texting the area service manager from Honda, and that he suggested a motor mount was "collapsed." They are going to dig into it more. I'll let you know.
Any update.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Well they had for over another week. Told me they changed the rear motor mount. I left the dealership and after about 20 miles of driving it must have got warm enough to let the VCM kick in cause it started making the noise again. Here’s the weird part tho...it did it with the SM and tech onboard and again by myself....it makes that brtttt sound even when the VCM DOESN’T kick on/off. So idk. I’m supposed to take it back in again. I did order an S-VCM today, so I’m going to temp install it before I take it back and see if it does in fact solve the issue. I’ll post again when I have more.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Oh and I crawled all around and under this truck. Doesn’t look like to me they replaced anything looking at the bolts, retainers and parts. Idk.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well they had for over another week. Told me they changed the rear motor mount. I left the dealership and after about 20 miles of driving it must have got warm enough to let the VCM kick in cause it started making the noise again. Here’s the weird part tho...it did it with the SM and tech onboard and again by myself....it makes that brtttt sound even when the VCM DOESN’T kick on/off. So idk. I’m supposed to take it back in again. I did order an S-VCM today, so I’m going to temp install it before I take it back and see if it does in fact solve the issue. I’ll post again when I have more.
Just wondering if you had any resolution to this? I’m getting a similar “brrrrttt” noise on my 2016 pilot. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
140 Posts
So I ordered an SVCM a week ago and it showed up last week late while I was out at work. I got it installed Saturday morning in all of about 6.5 minutes. Finally drove it about 200 miles today to go to South side of Indy to get my flight physical. I did not hear/feel/sense that brrrt sound ONE time. So for ~103 dollars I diagnosed it for Honda. I was supposed to drop it off at Honda this morning for service, but alas I forgot to call in Saturday to confirm they would have a loaner, did not have a chance to drive it Sat/Sun to confirm the brrrt and remove the SVCM device, nor jack it up to put paint witness marks on the retainers and bolts so I can check in the future what exactly they changed. Ref above post where I was told they changed the rear motor mount but it doesn't look like it was changed to me. And this is not normal, the SM said it's not normal and it didn't do it for the first 15,000 miles, so it's NOT normal. haha

I also did not see the VCM activate at all. Today I saw the water temp go no higher than 164 indicated on my ScanGauge with the SVCM. I also did not see the VCM activate at all. Indicated on the factory gauge 1/2 mark below the halfway or midpoint on the water temp gauge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I ordered an SVCM a week ago and it showed up last week late while I was out at work. I got it installed Saturday morning in all of about 6.5 minutes. Finally drove it about 200 miles today to go to South side of Indy to get my flight physical. I did not hear/feel/sense that brrrt sound ONE time. So for ~103 dollars I diagnosed it for Honda. I was supposed to drop it off at Honda this morning for service, but alas I forgot to call in Saturday to confirm they would have a loaner, did not have a chance to drive it Sat/Sun to confirm the brrrt and remove the SVCM device, nor jack it up to put paint witness marks on the retainers and bolts so I can check in the future what exactly they changed. Ref above post where I was told they changed the rear motor mount but it doesn't look like it was changed to me. And this is not normal, the SM said it's not normal and it didn't do it for the first 15,000 miles, so it's NOT normal. haha

I also did not see the VCM activate at all. Today I saw the water temp go no higher than 164 indicated on my ScanGauge with the SVCM. I also did not see the VCM activate at all. Indicated on the factory gauge 1/2 mark below the halfway or midpoint on the water temp gauge.
That's awesome. I ordered the SVCM on Saturday and will get it installed. I appreciate the response, hopefully I have the same resolution!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have read with interest all these posts. We just purchased a new to us 2017 Ridgeline touring about a month ago. Within a week of owning, we started to hear a buzzing sound coming from the drivers front area, in the engine though. It happened intermittently and was hard to figure out exactly where/what was causing. I took it back and they said they couldn't hear, I wasn't happy with that response so escalated to Service Manager. They said it was "normal" VCM noise. I call BS on the normal, as it was getting worse and worse. They did a bunch of work on it (rocker arms) and said "all fixed". Nope, even driving the truck home, it was doing the same thing and proceeded to actually be worse than before, with the buzzing happening more frequently and for longer intervals (upwards to 15 seconds).

This sound starts to happen about 5 minutes into a drive (so when engine warms up a little), and predominantly happens at speeds between 60 and 80/km hr. It does happen at lower speeds and at higher speeds, but I can really hear it at the speeds above. I purchased the extended warranty, but seriously it has already been in the shop 3 times in the the month I've owned it. I will be a bit of a bulldog on this as quite frankly I would have never bought this vehicle if I had heard the sound on the test drives and I know it'll be harder to sell.

My Ridgeline has about 100k on it and I'm now thinking (based on what I've read here) it is the electronic engine mounts.

I'm with CaptainStump, I'm going to be in the dealership weekly until it is fixed!

Can anyone tell me if Honda has actually fixed this for anyone? And if so, what what the fix? Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I find this thread quite interesting. I have a 2019 Touring with 25K km and just started hearing a clicking, buzzing, brrrrt'ing sound from under the dash driver's side near my left leg/foot. Sounds kind of like an old dot matrix printer printing a line.

I've narrowed it down to coming on most often when cruise control is engaged. But I can get the noise to happen with the cruise off and the ECO button engaged, although much less often. It is loudest and most frequent at approx 100 km/h and when the outside temperature is above 20 C.

Would love to know what is going on and get it stopped but I'd like to go to the dealership armed with knowledge so I don't have to hear from the dealer they can't replicate the issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I heard the brrrrrrrrt sound for the first time on my 2017 sport this summer. A few weeks later got the dreaded ‘emission system’ warning light. Which means injectors are failing (validated by code). Coincidence? Is it the injectors?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’ve had my injectors replaced already and the noise still occurs. Not because of the noise but due to the CEL. I’m really hoping the SVCM takes care of this. Should be here middle of next week.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Same noise, in the same boat as @Captainstump above -experiencing excessive vibration/noise like a rumble strip around 2K rpm that seems to be related to VCM operation. Dealer currently has rear motor mounts on order and has given me a loaner ridgeline in the meantime. Should have the parts in tomorrow, will see if that solves the issue.

Interestingly, and related to the VCM discussions, is I did a test drive with the service manager at my dealer who had the diagnostic laptop hooked up to the truck while i drove. He was able to snapshot the issue and see that the noise was in fact occuring when the VCM was engaged and the engine was running on 3 cylinders.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, I feel relatively confident I’ve been able to resolve my “brrrttt” noise issue. The noise was occurring occasionally after the engine warmed up and for a few seconds at a time. It was loud enough to be noticeable even with the radio on. After the information I read here and some homework, I ordered the SVCM device and installed it four days ago to see if that did the trick. I have not heard the noise since. I’ve also noticed increased power from the engine, especially during acceleration. The device seems to be working great and was not terribly difficult to install. I am a genuine fan of Honda vehicles, but I definitely feel like they botched it with VCM. My 16’ Pilot had been at the dealership twice for this issue and they blamed it on loose clips. Dealers need to be made aware of this and Honda needs to provide a software update or other means to disable the VCM.

·
Administrator
15,673 Posts
Well, I feel relatively confident I’ve been able to resolve my “brrrttt” noise issue.

Dealers need to be made aware of this and Honda needs to provide a software update or other means to disable the VCM.
You masked the symptoms by defeating VCM, but did not solve the root problem. :)

Honda will never facilitate or recommend disabling VCM since it is illegal for them (or anyone else) to tamper with emissions equipment. VCM is required to function in order to achieve the advertised EPA fuel economy and emission ratings. Will you get caught? Probably not. Would Honda get caught? Almost certainly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I find this thread quite interesting. I have a 2019 Touring with 25K km and just started hearing a clicking, buzzing, brrrrt'ing sound from under the dash driver's side near my left leg/foot. Sounds kind of like an old dot matrix printer printing a line.

I've narrowed it down to coming on most often when cruise control is engaged. But I can get the noise to happen with the cruise off and the ECO button engaged, although much less often. It is loudest and most frequent at approx 100 km/h and when the outside temperature is above 20 C.

Would love to know what is going on and get it stopped but I'd like to go to the dealership armed with knowledge so I don't have to hear from the dealer they can't replicate the issue.

Just to give an update... Brought it into the dealership today for this issue. I had already emailed the service manager explaining what was happening with the symptoms itemized as above. Also sent him a video showing what happens so he could see and hear for themselves.

Unfortunately today they could not replicate the problem. I think it's because it was only +12°C outside today and this seems to happen most often at +17 or more. They moved some relays around in the internal fusebox, tightened some bolts and put some foam tape on.

So we'll see. I suspect I'll be back to the dealership soon. At least I've got a documented dialogue going now.

I've tried to attach the video I sent to the dealership but it says the mp4 is too big.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts