Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the thread title had been used, but it fit.

Longtime Honda owner, but I finally added a RL to the list. I've had a 1987 Accord EX HB, two 1993 Accord EX 2D, a great 2005 Pilot EXL, and now a silver 2012 RTL Navi (23,000 mi in 33 months of driving). I would have had a 2008 RTL about a year ago, but my dad didn't think I was serious when I told him I wanted to buy his. I really had to think hard about this. I almost kept the Pilot, too. Originally I was looking for a 2008 Pilot EXL, but so far I'm very happy with the RL.

I went back to the same online Pilot OEM parts sites I've used in the past and have been getting part numbers. Anything I need to watch? There is a little time left on the factory warranty, and I was thinking about doing the 30k inspection early so that it was still covered. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,592 Posts
I'm not familiar with a 30k inspection.

If you bought the 2012 new and have kept it serviced properly, I see no reason to throw any money at it just because your 3/36 is about to expire. Besides, you have a 5/60k on the drive train.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not familiar with a 30k inspection.

If you bought the 2012 new and have kept it serviced properly, I see no reason to throw any money at it just because your 3/36 is about to expire. Besides, you have a 5/60k on the drive train.

I just bought the RL a few days ago with 23,000 miles. It's a question of how the original owner treated it.

Also, what the deal with the GLG-20 Classified RL maintenance schedule? It was much more straight forward with the others.

·
Super Moderator
22,592 Posts
Agreed w/r/t how the PO treated it. I suggest a full fluid and filter replacement to set your maintenance baseline. If you DIY, it will cost you ~$125-ish with Mob1 0w-20 and a quality oil filter as well as OEM fluids. The dealer will likely charge you in the vicinity of $500 for the same service.

I am unfamiliar with the GLG-20 maintenance schedule. What is this?

The RL should take essentially the same maintenance as your 2005 Pilot with the exception of the RL having a separate transfer assembly and uses hypoid gear oil to lube it. Your 2005 Pilot had an integrated transfer assembly and used transmission fluid for lubrication. IIRC, that was changed in 2006 on the Pilot.

I had a 2004 Pilot before the 2006. It had a maintenance schedule. The 2006 came with the Maintenance Minder instead of a schedule and I had a difficult time adapting. But eventually, I did... after I got the 2008 RL. I don't recall when Honda changed the Pilot over to the MM. That may have also occurred in the 2006 MY.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. The "GLG" bit was a smart ass reference to the movie Spies Like Us and the cryptic codes of the MM. Also, there doesn't seem to be a table that lists "At 30k do this..At 45k do this..." etc etc. Additionally, I can find a Honda service manual for the early models, but nothing for the 2010-.

·
Super Moderator
22,592 Posts
Apparently Honda discontinued issuing service schedules when they moved to the MM system. The system actually makes sense once you spend enough time with it to understand how it works and what is expected. Of course the shop is a big profit center for the dealership and their schedules will likely be much more conservative than the book or MM recommends. Ergo the 30k/60k maintenance intervals.

There are unofficial maintenance schedules floating around here. IMO, they tend to be more conservative than the MM. Nothing wrong with that, as long as your wallet doesn't complain.

Personally, I've chosen my own maintenance path and, for better or for worse, keep pretty close to it. I use the MM for oil changes (always a filter change); for rear diff and transfer assembly fluid changes; and for air and cabin filter changes. I change tranny fluid (drain and fill) every other oil change. I rotate tires every oil change (which for me is 6500-7000 mile intervals). I change the power steering fluid when I think it's been in there long enough... maybe 35k-50k miles. Brake fluid every 3-ish years. Etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts