Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks - traded my 2012 Pilot EX (39K mi) for a 2012 Ridgeline RT (30K) last week. I love this truck!! The VCM in the Pilot was more than I could stand. The RL has the Bak Flip Tonneau cover, a Kenwood DD470 stereo (awesome!), remote start and side steps. Nice way to enhance a base model! I will be paying for this for 5 1/2 years (at 1.49%) and hope to have it till I'm 60 (I'm 47 now) I have been looking on this forum for known issues, they seem to be hard to find for a 2012. Any suggestions on what to look out for? (Wind noise over 40 at windshield?)

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
979 Posts
Congrats on your purchase & Welcome to the ROC!

I'm not aware of issues specific to the 2012... seems some build quality issues with some 2014s. I imagine others will chime in with fluid change recommendations, etc... just so that you're operating from a known foundation.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
One problem will be those needing to borrow it for a trip to Home Depot.

·
Registered
93 Posts
One problem will be those needing to borrow it for a trip to Home Depot.
That's the great thing about the RLs...people don't think they are "real" trucks, so they always borrow their friend's F150 or Silverado...thats fine, keeps the wife's RL clean!! :act035:

Congrats on the purchase, I always liked the RLs over the newer Pilots...I preferred the previous generation Pilots over the current.

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Congrats on your RL and welcome to the ROC!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcome and comments. Carlson03; I agree that the previous Pilot gen looks better, and I have yet to ever see one with rust on it. (That was one of my requirements in looking for a car) VTM fluid change for sure, I'll need to do all recommended maintainence to keep my lifetime powertrain warranty in good order. Coolbob, what did you pay for the used bakflip cover, just curious as these seem to go for $6 to 800 new?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Interesting .... so Dawg, a couple of questions:
1) How many miles on your new ride?
2) Can you describe what you didn't like about the VCM (I've not driven in one)
3) What exactly is a "Lifetime" power train warranty, and who is it with?

I rode to lunch with a friend in his his new-ish Pilot last week, and was impressed with how 'big' it felt inside. I had not been inside a Pilot in over 10 years, so my recall is not too specific, but I did not remember them being this big inside in previous years.... is that just bad memory?

If you are new to the forum, take some time to browse the categories & you'll find interesting reading on lots of topics. This includes meets & greets depending on your area, a lot of DIY how-to's if you do your own work, and bunches of pics & opinion sharing on upgrade mods (although you seem to be covered there already!) Here's an interesting one for you, in case you're not familiar with some of the Ridgeline's hidden little features:
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2160&highlight=things+you+don't+know+about+your+Ridgeline

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nick;

Mileage 30K (listed in original post) - The VCM causes a vibration or shudder at low throttle conditions, when running on 3 or 4 cyl - seems it may be more noticeable in some Pilots over others, or to some drivers over others. There is a class action lawsuit due to issues it can cause, fouling spark plugs, engine work possibly being needed if the issue presents itself. I did get a letter regarding the class action suit, and Honda would cover me for 8 years against issues related to this, but on the Pilot forum I did see some folks getting pushback from Honda saying "that code is not related to the issue" etc. - so where my lease was up I just decided to bail and not take chances. Whenever I learned that the Ridgeline did not have VCM, I became seriously interested in pursuing.
It's too bad because I loved everything else about the Pilot. But the vibration occurs on every ride, and makes me either push the gas or let off of it to make the vibration go away. I don't want to do that for the next 10 years. The lifetime powertrain warranty covers engine, transmission and all 4WD related stuff; it does have a list of exclusions though:

http://www.bochhonda.com/boch-lifetime-powertrain-warranty.htm

Thanks for the link, very helpful looking stuff. I have some reading to do!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Interesting... My wife has had 2 Pilots, a 2014 and a 2006, both with VCM. We have never had problems with either one.

As far as the RL, I can't comment on the newer ones as mine is an 06, but the biggest complaint most people have had (me included) is the poor fit and finish with all the plastic interior trim. That may not be a big issue for some people, but for me to have trim parts that don't fit for a $30k vehicle annoys me. Mechanically, though, my RL has held up very well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts