Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I called my dealer today to see if they had any brochures or info on the new RL. The saleswoman stated they have no information at this time afa release date, price or anything.

I then asked her when they may start taking orders. The news that follows may not be a surprise to you Honda guys, but it was a shock to a newbie like me. She said that Honda no longer takes orders, and that they only "build to the market. So when inventory begins coming in, that's essentially what you have to choose from."

This is not what I wanted to hear. I know pretty much everything I want and don't want in my new RL. I don't want AWD etc. So essentially we're only going to be able to choose from the trim packages and models on the lot. Needless to say, I'm definitely bummed.

What are you guys hearing from your dealers? Is this new? Now it seems that a dealer across country may have the model we want, when our local dealer probably has only a package we don't.

Also from what I gathered, these things aren't going to be cheap. That's another bummer. I was figuring right around the cost of a Pilot in the mid-thirties price range.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Typically, your dealer can see inventories available at other dealers, so they should be able to "find" the specific model/color configuration you're searching for. That's what they did for me with my S2000 (I wanted the red/black interior). You might have to wait a couple of days for it (I think I might have paid $75 transfer fee or something like that as well). They brought mine in from a dealer over 100 miles away.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Yep, called "dealer trade". I would think if a vehicle configurator is on the honda(anybodys website you should be able to build/order your own vehicle but im not sure.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
The dealer calls it a swap this is what they did when we got the Dark Cherry Pearl RTL Nav. The salesman said he would find the one we wanted.
He said they did the swaps with 3 or 4 other dealerships on regular basis.
I had purchased 3 other cars from that dealership but that had been over many years and things change. I ordered my 1980 Prelude now that came from Japan for sale in America my 1990 was ordered also when it came they called. My 1994 was on the lot the first shipment of redesigned Accords back then. It was the color and 5 speed trans EX model with features but no leather.
The dealer said they could have a company put leather in for me and it would be better quality than factory. The reason I did it because did not know when the model & color I wanted would come in the quality of leather was better.
When I ordered my Acura it was a hot selling car you I waited over two months for the color and Navigation. I could get the exterior color but not the interior color or no Nav. I changed the color to Black/Ebony and the car was here in 2 weeks. But sometimes it's hard to get it the way you want.
With the Ridgeline the sales had to go from Washington DC suburbs to Baltimore suburbs dealership to get the Ridgeline. he said it would have about 40 extra miles on it. I said that was fine. I remember with my Accord it said on Invoice the car was delivered to a Baltimore suburb dealership but I got it in Washington suburbs it had 40miles on it. I went pass the Baltimore dealership every week visiting my aunt in Baltimore suburbs.

Reactions: rshermis

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
No disrespect, but have you ordered a vehicle in the last 20 years? Pretty much, ordering from the factory is a thing of the past, especially with foreign car makers. Not seeing the specs on the new RL, but every RL off the assembly line since the 2005+ model has been AWD. I haven't heard any change in that from Honda. Those in the know may correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The 2017 Rl will be offered in FWD as well as AWD.
I believe my Honda dealer can "order" a car. They just put in what model and color you want. Then when Honda builds that trim and color, they reserve a unit for my dealer. Its kind of like semi-custom building. A dealer swap is always faster and preferred.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I believe my Honda dealer can "order" a car. They just put in what model and color you want. Then when Honda builds that trim and color, they reserve a unit for my dealer. Its kind of like semi-custom building. A dealer swap is always faster and preferred.
That's similar to what my dealer told me. They can put in a request for a particular trim level and color, but are not guaranteed that they would get it nor when they will receive it. The dealer can do a swap with another dealer if they have the desired vehicle, which is faster than waiting for the vehicle to be built. Dealers can also see who gets which vehicles and track the production dates for swapping ahead of delivery.

For Honda, colors and trim levels are built in bulk. For example, a bunch of black vehicles of a certain trim level are built at one time (let's say 20 or more at at time). They then move on to the next color and/or trim level, ultimately cycling back to a previous color and/or trim level. This means your specific color and/or trim might not be in the pipeline for sometime in the distant future. Further meaning that vehicles aren't built as soon as the order is received like in the old days.

·
Registered
606 Posts
That's similar to what my dealer told me. They can put in a request for a particular trim level and color, but are not guaranteed that they would get it nor when they will receive it. The dealer can do a swap with another dealer if they have the desired vehicle, which is faster than waiting for the vehicle to be built. Dealers can also see who gets which vehicles and track the production dates for swapping ahead of delivery.

For Honda, colors and trim levels are built in bulk. For example, a bunch of black vehicles of a certain trim level are built at one time (let's say 20 or more at at time). They then move on to the next color and/or trim level, ultimately cycling back to a previous color and/or trim level. This means your specific color and/or trim might not be in the pipeline for sometime in the distant future. Further meaning that vehicles aren't built as soon as the order is received like in the old days.
That perfectly coincides with what Joe had mentioned in another thread where once these vehicles are on the lot, they are going to be pushing the Black Edition and RTL-E, So for someone like me that wants the Sport level trim, I could be waiting quite a while for the lower level trim.

·
Registered
149 Posts
That perfectly coincides with what Joe had mentioned in another thread where once these vehicles are on the lot, they are going to be pushing the Black Edition and RTL-E, So for someone like me that wants the Sport level trim, I could be waiting quite a while for the lower level trim.
That's not quite true. There will be enough of a variety of colors and trim levels produced before the Ridgeline is released. It's only after that initial supply is gone that you may have a longer wait for a specific color and trim level.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,340 Posts
No disrespect, but have you ordered a vehicle in the last 20 years? Pretty much, ordering from the factory is a thing of the past, especially with foreign car makers. Not seeing the specs on the new RL, but every RL off the assembly line since the 2005+ model has been AWD. I haven't heard any change in that from Honda. Those in the know may correct me if I'm wrong.
Your wrong:)

·
Registered
971 Posts
Your wrong
I didn't think that was correct either. I went over to Ram and I didn't see anything in the trim and color I wanted. They said we will find it first but if nothing then they will factory build it. I saw a great Ram in the grey colour I wanted had the Ram box as well which in key cases is a factory ordered option, but this trim wasn't offered in leather at all! I dared asked if they could change that to leather the answer was no problem. Even some
of their used models, this Ram dealer were more than willing to negotiate. Then I stared thinking thats great! but hang on if they are so accommodating what's wrong with the truck. Probably nothing just have so many to choose from its easier to deal and a big reason why so many buy these trucks.

At some point the buyer has to feel like they are getting a deal. At Honda the should give more but they usually don't if one can get $1500-2000 off a new car they are tearing it up go out and celebrate. Get what you get and don't be upset.

·
Premium Member
4,226 Posts
That is the problem with custom-ordering a vehicle...you can't haggle the price nearly as much. If it's a run-of-the-mill model on the lot, you have a lot more leverage to negotiate a better price.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Guess I an not that picky. Have never special ordered a vehicle. I could always find something on the lot that would fit my needs.
I also have the attitude if they don't have something I can live with, I don't buy.

Seems Honda is a lot like Toyota in selling their pickups. Hard to get the dealers to come down much.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Guess I an not that picky. Have never special ordered a vehicle. I could always find something on the lot that would fit my needs.
I also have the attitude if they don't have something I can live with, I don't buy.

Seems Honda is a lot like Toyota in selling their pickups. Hard to get the dealers to come down much.
If I had ever purchased a new vehicle, I would have your same attitude. Unless the vehicle was black...id never own black.

"Cause we're awesome and we know it" duh nuh nuh nuh.duh nuh nuh, duh nuh nuh "Cant touch this" :cheerleader::cheerleader:

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I stand corrected!

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
Dealers will not be provided information prior to the Embargo date. Even then they can't specifically order a vehicle until all initial allocation units are distributed. The dealers will have little control over the first few units they receive. Once allocation is filled then Honda will accept orders.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got an up close look at a girl's brand new pilot today. It was pearl white with the same trim interior and exterior that I want for my RL. She said her husband wants one too.

She also said that when she went to shop for the Pilot that her dealer told her that there's no negotiating going on right now...that as soon as they get Pilots in, they're gone. Anyone wanting the new Pilot will pay MSRP from what's on the lot.

I got a feeling the new RL will be the same way. ?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I got an up close look at a girl's brand new pilot today. It was pearl white with the same trim interior and exterior that I want for my RL. She said her husband wants one too.

She also said that when she went to shop for the Pilot that her dealer told her that there's no negotiating going on right now...that as soon as they get Pilots in, they're gone. Anyone wanting the new Pilot will pay MSRP from what's on the lot.

I got a feeling the new RL will be the same way. ?
Maybe her dealer won't negotiate, but that doesn't mean all dealers won't negotiate. Did she shop at other dealers or just assume that her dealer was being honest?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I stand corrected!
Just FYI, many Mercedes models can be ordered like in the good old days, with specific options or "packages" of options as well as colors. But they have the same problem with wait time if you custom order something that is not on a dealer lot or at the port somewhere. I have been considering a Mercedes van but the way I want it optioned out, the dealer estimates it will take 6 months. Built in Europe.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts