Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all- new RL owner. 2012, RTS. Purchased in SoCal a few weeks ago. So my RTS has an aftermarket HeadUnit (HU) with large screen and aftermarket camera. The camera overrides all gears EXCEPT reverse, when the image goes away and back to standard radio view (as if I started the car, but did not shift into gear). Please help...

- I start car and no camera image, just the normal radio stuff;
-put into any gear and camera activates and stays on, even when I drive;
-BUT put into Reverse and camera image disappears.

Since I did not install, I have no clue as to where to begin to try to diagnose. Any hints or order of troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated, especially with any pic (super bonus)

Also- anyway to find out who the previous owner of vehicle was? The dealership completely stripped out all paperwork.

Loving the new ride- my first Honda. While it does lack a lot of creature comfort, it ride well for a truck- way better than my dad's 2012 Tundra with Rock Warrior package.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
What kind of head unit, could be settings on HU that need be changed.. I believe Carfax might be able to show previous owner.. Not sure..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a Pioneer mixture, but I played with the settings a bit and don't think it's the settings

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Their could be wires crossed maybe? Do you know if they tapped into rear tail light? Their should be another wire coming off headunit attached to reverse trigger wire left by fuse panel.. Their are plenty of posts on here that explain how to correctly work camera.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The camera comes on when it receives power from the reverse circuit (12V applied).

It appears they have wired it incorrectly.

The manual for the radio should tell you what is the reverse wire on the radio.

If it is recent install, take it back and tell them the issue.

Post back when you have something.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,098 Posts
Their could be wires crossed maybe? Do you know if they tapped into rear tail light? Their should be another wire coming off headunit attached to reverse trigger wire left by fuse panel.. Their are plenty of posts on here that explain how to correctly work camera.
I believe Optimus is on the right track. The auto-switch, as we like to call it, is enabled when the camera feed line gets a 12v signal and immediately turns on that 'camera' input for viewing. Take the dash apart and pull the head unit, you will see a single wire going to the video link or rear-camera line. Pull it out, tape it shut. Refer to the shop manual and pull a fresh line from the fuse box to the cut wire coming out of the head unit. That should fix your problem.

The other thing is, it could be wired in such a way that you can view videos while still in drive.

End of the day, it is probably wired up wrong.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. My gut tells me the override wire is in the wrong spot since the camera does get power in other gears. Note I bought the truck used and the deck was already installed. I don't have the install guide but can probably find it online.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,046 Posts
There are threads on here showing exactly where the reverse wire is in the wire loom in the driver's side footwell. I know when I installed my Pioneer, it was as simple as running the reverse wire to this location, finding that wire and tapping it. Also, I do remember there are a few settings within the head unit itself as to which kind of signal the vehicle has. IIRC, it's a positive, ground and some other setting. It could be as simple as messing around with that. What is the actual model number of the head unit? It should be AVH something on the front of the unit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts