Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 RL with a Truxx lift. I had a pop up camper that I pulled for a few years without issue. Recently purchased a regular camper that weights less but the problem is that the water tank is on the tongue where in the pop up it was over the axle. It squats me down so much I don't wanna risk it. I live In Montana and there are a lot of Campgrounds that do not have water near so hailing empty and filling up there isn't always an option. Over heard of locking struts to reduce rear sag? Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Firestone makes airbags you can inflate and Monroe makes shocks with extra springs.
But a WDH might be a better solution

·
Registered
222 Posts
The Truxxx kit is actually doing you a favor... giving you extra clearance... similar scenario here, use a WDH and you'll be all set, nice and level again for the long stretches of highway...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Owners manual recommends -against- using WDH w/ the RL:

page 211 of the '06 manual:

Weight Distributing Hitch
A weight distributing hitch is not
recommended for use with your
vehicle, as an improperly adjusted
weight distributing hitch may reduce
handling, stability, and braking
performance

Some other posts attribute it as something to do w/ the way the vehicle is built/designed as a unit-body but body-on-frame combo at same time... At least I recall reading posts to that effect. Would have to do some searching to find...

at any rate, there are a lot of posts about WDH, yes or no. boils down to personal choice.

what is your camper weight? what is your tongue weight?

·
Registered
105 Posts
IMO, WDH would be better than the locking thing, even though the RL manual says not to. I tow a 3,500 pound travel trailer on a regular basis, w/o the WDH (which I do have, and is already mounted on the trailer), and I am very comfortable towing that way.

I don't hit mountains often, and I try to keep under 65 (for mpg). I never tow w/ full water tank, although my tank is closer to the (single) axle than yours. The Mrs. has been known to try and take the entire contents of the house fridge with us for a weekend trip, so at times it's been more heavily loaded than I would care for.

Note: The manual language specifically refers to improper adjustments...so if you go the WDH route, make sure to have it properly adjusted for your load. YMMV.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Steve, since your new trailer is lighter than the old one, and is putting a lot more weight on the hitch, chances are the trailer itself is not balanced properly. It should be set up so about 10% of the trailer weight is on the tongue. Maybe whoever set the trailer up originally expected to tow it with the tank empty?

It would make the most sense to relocate the tank so it's over the axle, as it was on your previous trailer, so empty or full the trailer would balance the same. But if that's impossible, try putting any movable gear in the back of the trailer, behind the axle, to balance it out. That would include moving stuff from the truck bed, if you tend to carry items there.

Flymo

·
Registered
28 Posts
Owners manual recommends -against- using WDH w/ the RL:

page 211 of the '06 manual:

Weight Distributing Hitch
A weight distributing hitch is not
recommended for use with your
vehicle, as an improperly adjusted
weight distributing hitch may reduce
handling, stability, and braking
performance

Some other posts attribute it as something to do w/ the way the vehicle is built/designed as a unit-body but body-on-frame combo at same time... At least I recall reading posts to that effect. Would have to do some searching to find...

at any rate, there are a lot of posts about WDH, yes or no. boils down to personal choice.

what is your camper weight? what is your tongue weight?

This a true statement, they say not to use one from the legal aspect because people set them up wrong. I have been using a WDH pulling a 26 ft rockwood, although I pull it with the fresh water tank empty.

If you set it up to pull it with the tank full you will always have to keep it full while pulling it. I would look at relocating the tank elsewhere in the camper.

-Jason

1 - 7 of 7 Posts