2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,095 Posts
Any Trout in that river?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any Trout in that river?
Yes! According to the folks who were set up next to us and come here every year. But they said because the river was running so fast that unless you found a pool it wasn't likely to catch one. The other day I did throw some light tackle I brought from home, but I'm not a fresh water trout fisherman and really don't have the right gear.

But, funny story from last night. It was around 10 PM MDT, and I was outside our rig dumping tanks for a quicker getaway this morning to get to Santa Fe (needed to get to Honda of Santa Fe for my 2:00 PM, A1 service appointment today). Like I said, the Red River was running very full and fast, so most of what I was hearing was just water rushing over the rocks immediately behind our rig.

Until, over the space of maybe 10 minutes, I heard a huge splash in the river . . . twice. My first thought was that one or more bear had decided to do some fishing right beside me - since they are known to wander through this campground occasionally. I'm out there in the dark with only my headlamp and my Swiss Army knife and I'm on the other side of the camper from the door. Great. Couldn't see anything after a quick scan with my headlamp (I'm literally 15' from the river bank), so I started finishing up. And then a third huge splash in the river . . . but this time I saw what was going on. Huge trout were jumping up and out of that rushing water! Maybe just for fun; maybe because that's how God designed them. Glad that I could see the dark image of one breach the water and land back in the stream.

If I had been in Matagorda Bay on the Texas Gulf Coast, I would have immediately thought that I had heard a huge speckled trout hit my top water lure. And it's pretty loud when that happens. But those trout were big enough to make enough noise to be heard over the really loud sounds of the river. At any rate, it was a fun moment.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm so jealous Last Train. That picture says it all. I so want to be there. What were the high and low temperatures while you were there?
Temps were in the mid to upper 30s in the AM. Highs were in the mid 70s. It was 39°F this morning at 7 AM. We've been blessed with really great weather along the way, other than getting caught in a thunderstorm with pea size hail last week just as we were setting up for a one night stay in Santa Rosa, NM. Fortunately no damage to truck or trailer.

If you want to see just a piece of some of the gorgeous scenery around here, I just remembered yesterday I posted in the Off Roading Forum about an adventure we took off of US 64. We went off road for a bit . . .

We were driving what they call around here the Enchanted Circle; i.e. highways that encircle a part of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains here with Wheeler Peak (highest in NM) in the middle. But wherever we drove, we could still see snow on many of the mountain tops.

And as an aside, today's run southbound from Red River, NM to Santa Fe included the stiffest challenge yet for our truck when towing. Long grades - up and down - with my first time of having to really get into the throttle to maintain 55+ mph and not be a pain to following traffic. Got to 5,700 rpm . . . VTEC and all . . .I told my wife that we should really be proud of our truck. And we are.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I love northern NM and southern CO!
My extended family will be in South Fork CO for a week in Aug and my son and I will be in Chama NM the week after that. We really enjoy getting out of the TX heat and into the mountains in late July/early Aug for some R&R and family time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts