Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished setting up my RL for a big camping trip and wanted to share some details! @moderators, if you feel this is better for the Racks/Hitches forum please move it.

Did it a bit in parts so have pictures from each process.

1. Bak Revolver X4. Got for a great price and delivered in 3 days from @Jason B ! Install took about an hour by myself. Had to play around with the height of the sidebars a bit as the clamp at the end (where the cover snaps into place) was hitting the body of the truck. Really like the look of this cover,super simple operation and really clean/flush finish. I had installed the Peragon, but ended up returning it as I found it scratched SUPER easily, IE even putting down a cardboard box on it left small hairline scratches. Figured over time that would get super frustrating as I typically rest things on the cover when unloading.

2. Roof rails. Install was relatively straight forward. Measure twice, cut once. Will need to tighten it a bit before mounting something. I like the look of it though even if I never put anything up there. No added road noise from just these.

3. Vantech rack. Install was also pretty easy. They call for a 1/2" drill bit for the holes which I found to be a bit excessive. I mostly used a 1/4" drill bit, but unfortunately on the drivers side I didn't click the bedrail all the way back into place when I was measuring, so my measurements were slightly off, meaning I had to go back and use the 1/2" anyways. Not the end of the world, but I'll likely go back and add some waterproofing sealant around the sides of the bar to keep water out.

4. Yakima products galore!

Yakima Products:
1. Skinny warrior: Aiming to load this with a cooler, some water canisters, and maybe a gas tank. This definitely adds some whistling road noise, but with some music on it's not noticeable.
2. Slim shady awning: It's smaller than some of the other options on the market (2m x 2m) but I love Yakima's mounting brackets and the ability to use the SKS locks. Other than fold out size they're all about the same. I also have this awning room coming in the mail: Standard Awning Room. In talking to ROAM it looks like the room will work with the Yakima awning, effectively making another 2m x 2m tent.
3. Skyrise Medium tent: There are some cheaper/larger ones out there too, but this one can open both to back or to side, and like the awning it uses really great brackets that can use the SKS locks. This one's also much lighter than most of the other ones on the market (115 pounds for a 3person vs other tents being 150+ or more) making it an easy 2 person lift job.

Since the Vantech rack sits at the roofline without any modification the tent will likely cause quite a bit of drag/reduced MPG. I wont keep it on permanently, but I'll likely keep the rack and basket up there.

Thinking next thing I'll save up for would be a Yakima Lock-n-load platform to go on the roof rails. There I'd mount a full-size spare, some traction boards, and have some room for some other accessories. I'm not planning on any super crazy off-roading, but having the FSS would be good to have since I'd be pretty loaded down with all this stuff. About 200 pounds between the tent (115), warrior basket (30), awning (20), vantech rack (~35), plus all the gear, coolers, and people!

Attachments

·
Registered
372 Posts
Excellent for social distancing!

Reactions: grl94

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, seeing it on yours made me check it out! I figured I might as well put the extra rack space to good use, and now the bed won't be jam packed as I can get the big bulky items out.

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
60 Posts
Bet that would be a nice setup on my diamondback tonneau?

What rack did you use?
It is a hodgepodge of different things.
The rails are from vantech.
the towers and crossbars are from ridge runner (the tundra models), and the tower feet I machined myself.

I think I have a write up on here somewhere about putting it all together

·
Registered
8 Posts
Would it be possible to find some mounting hardware to be able to put say a rail system on the van tech rack itself for extra accessories? ie: shovel, aces, 2 gallon gas tanks, etc...?

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
60 Posts
Would it be possible to find some mounting hardware to be able to put say a rail system on the van tech rack itself for extra accessories? ie: shovel, aces, 2 gallon gas tanks, etc...?
While this is possible, it would be difficult to attach to the rack towers. As the towers are telescopic, you can’t really drill and bolt accessories on..... unless of course you have no need for it to be telescopic.
If a modular system is what you are after, the Yakima would be a better option, although then you can’t use it with a tonneau.

·
Registered
8 Posts
While this is possible, it would be difficult to attach to the rack towers. As the towers are telescopic, you can’t really drill and bolt accessories on..... unless of course you have no need for it to be telescopic.
If a modular system is what you are after, the Yakima would be a better option, although then you can’t use it with a tonneau.
Or any other bed cover for that matter correct?

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I saw this one on reddit ( https://www.reddit.com/r/hondaridgeline/comments/fj7qrj ). I spoke with the OP, he said he used the hardware from the ladder stops within the slot on the bar upright then attached that to an aluminum bar between the two uprights.

I might try something like that with a tslot channel, but tbd. If I get the lock-n-load platform I'd mount traction boards/gas cans/etc up there and wouldn't do the crossbars.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I saw this one on reddit ( https://www.reddit.com/r/hondaridgeline/comments/fj7qrj ). I spoke with the OP, he said he used the hardware from the ladder stops within the slot on the bar upright then attached that to an aluminum bar between the two uprights.

I might try something like that with a tslot channel, but tbd. If I get the lock-n-load platform I'd mount traction boards/gas cans/etc up there and wouldn't do the crossbars.
I'd be very interested in go about how to do that as I do not want to lose versatility. Thank you!

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah. My only worry would be about keeping the ability to move the uprights. You'd either need to have multiple attachment points drilled into the cross bar, or use something like a long-slotted strut channel (Long Slotted Standard 1-5/8" x 13/16" Strut Channel, Aluminum, 14 ga., 10 ft.) .

Either would likely be a pain to adjust, but IMO better than having to keep the vantech spread fixed.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I finally got in my Roam room. Can confirm that it works with the Yakima Slim Shady. Ideally will use it either at the beach (for a shady + mosquito free room) or as another tent for my road-trip (it's effectively a 2m x 2m x 2m cube with a floor).

Definitely super well built and has a lot of great features (2 windows on the sides, front door, then big rear opening for the side that's against the vehicle)

Link: Standard Awning Room

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
3. Vantech rack. Install was also pretty easy. They call for a 1/2" drill bit for the holes which I found to be a bit excessive. I mostly used a 1/4" drill bit, but unfortunately on the drivers side I didn't click the bedrail all the way back into place when I was measuring, so my measurements were slightly off, meaning I had to go back and use the 1/2" anyways. Not the end of the world, but I'll likely go back and add some waterproofing sealant around the sides of the bar to keep water out.

3. Skyrise Medium tent: There are some cheaper/larger ones out there too, but this one can open both to back or to side, and like the awning it uses really great brackets that can use the SKS locks. This one's also much lighter than most of the other ones on the market (115 pounds for a 3person vs other tents being 150+ or more) making it an easy 2 person lift job.
Question for you - did you need to do any mods to your Vantech crossbars to get the Skyrise clamps to fit securely? I have the P3000 crossbars, which are 1.5" H, and the clamps that come with the Skyrise apparently accommodate crossbars that are strictly 1.49" or less. I couldn't get those clamps to close in a way that I'd feel good about hauling down the freeway. I am considering grinding out some notches on the underside of the crossbars, but I don't want to compromise their integrity. Better for the load bearing, I could also grind the clamps, but again, not sure how that would impact their integrity. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Question for you - did you need to do any mods to your Vantech crossbars to get the Skyrise clamps to fit securely? I have the P3000 crossbars, which are 1.5" H, and the clamps that come with the Skyrise apparently accommodate crossbars that are strictly 1.49" or less. I couldn't get those clamps to close in a way that I'd feel good about hauling down the freeway. I am considering grinding out some notches on the underside of the crossbars, but I don't want to compromise their integrity. Better for the load bearing, I could also grind the clamps, but again, not sure how that would impact their integrity. Any thoughts?
So i've actually changed my setup a bit (was going to detail after I got back from vacation). But when I had it on the P3000 crossbars just fit onto. Definitely was at the end of the tolerance. I ended up buying some 1.5" NRS boat straps (12 foot long) and I would put one around the skyrise + bars. I drove 5 hours to Padre and back at 70-80MPH and it didn't budge, so I think it was secure.

What I've actually done now is get a Yakima LockNLoad platform and installed it upside down, mounted directly to the towers using the t-slots. I'll detail later, but you could also look into getting the Yakima HD bars and doing the same (they have the same set up as the P3000 just are a good deal narrower).

Hope that helps!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts