Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,532 Posts
@ToyTruck Do you have a weight distribution hitch on there ? We did end up getting it and drove it 200 miles home today. We cruised at 55-60 and it did okay. It did sway more than I would have liked. (It was a bit windy, but still seemed to sway too much) I'm looking into getting a sway control, as I don't think a WDH is needed. But just weighing options.

I do have one on there along with a friction sway bar. We got the ball height set just right so that the tension on the WDH keeps the truck from bouncing at the rear. You’re going to sway a bit when you’re pulling near your vehicle’s weight and the amount of air an 8’ trailer is pushing. If anything, I wouldn’t mind a 7’ 4” wide trailer, but now the fad is making trailers “off road” which translates to way off the ground. I don’t consider that a good idea out on extremely windy highways.......a little gust, a little lift, a little unintended off reading.😱😱😱

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Absolutely referring to your Riverside Retro 189......cool as they come. TFT monitoring devices are really cheap, compared to 9 speed fluid change cost. Verifying the 9 speed TFTs run cool, you may not need early/frequent expensive fluid changes. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: ToyTruck

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,532 Posts
Absolutely referring to your Riverside Retro 189......cool as they come. TFT monitoring devices are really cheap, compared to 9 speed fluid change cost. Verifying the 9 speed TFTs run cool, you may not need early/frequent expensive fluid changes. 🤷‍♂️
Is there a particular brand/model that will work with the 9 speed?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Also, there are inexpensive devices that plug-n-play into the OBDII under the dash that monitor/display actual ECT and TFT temps.............................
Can you provide example(s) please?

Bill

·
Registered
2 Posts
One example is the Scan Gauge II. I installed one on m 2018 RT-L. I tow a 19' trailer that loaded for travel weighs around 4350 lbs. and is 3,550lbs dry. I would caution the OP that the trailer weight you indicated, when loaded for normal travel will probably push very close to the GCVW rating for the Ridgeline. My trailer is a few hundred pounds lighter and once loaded, my combined weight (measured at a CAT scale) is around 9,350lbs. Also, the gauge tells me that the transmission temps, pulling that weight gets hot . . . in the low 230 F range. That's in the mountains which doesn't apply to your use in the Midwest, but it's worth noting.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Is there a particular brand/model that will work with the 9 speed?
Members have post using various Bluetooth monitors.....if I understand them correctly, a thingy (they buy off Amazon for +/-$35) plugs into the OBD-II port and you install an app on your smartphone which then displays various fluid temps, depending on the app. I can not confirm they work with the 9 speed. Heck, I can’t confirm anything about the Bluetooth monitors because I’ve been using a non-Bluetooth ScanGauge brand monitor since about 2005. It easily moves from one vehicle to another. Our Rigi is the 6 speed....you may need to contact Linear Logic (ScanGauge) to find the Xgauge codes for the 9 speed.

Can you provide example(s) please?

Bill
I personally have been using a ScanGauge brand reader since about 2005 (+/-$150)....the Bluetooth monitors on Amazon seem to run +/-$35 and use an app installed on your smartphone, if I understand correctly. Hopefully a member using a Bluetooth monitor will chime in shortly.

Reactions: ToyTruck

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,025 Posts
I use a BAFX OBDII bluetooth dongle (probably around $30 Amazon) and the Torque Pro app on Android phone / tablet (around $5). You need to type in a custom PID into the app to read the trans temp, but it's easy to do. This works on the 6AT, don't know about the 9- spd.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Members have post using various Bluetooth monitors.....if I understand them correctly, a thingy (they buy off Amazon for +/-$35) plugs into the OBD-II port and you install an app on your smartphone which then displays various fluid temps, depending on the app.

I personally have been using a ScanGauge brand reader since about 2005 (+/-$150)....the Bluetooth monitors on Amazon seem to run +/-$35 and use an app installed on your smartphone, if I understand correctly. Hopefully a member using a Bluetooth monitor will chime in shortly.
Well darn it, with the first suggestion I would have to purchase a smart phone and on the second suggestion $150 is kinda steep just so we can monitor transmission temps? I guess we'll just depend on the idiot light this first "heavy" trip.

Bill

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Well darn it, with the first suggestion I would have to purchase a smart phone and on the second suggestion $150 is kinda steep just so we can monitor transmission temps? I guess we'll just depend on the idiot light this first "heavy" trip.

Bill
Look at the bright side......presuming you do not see the idiot light, you'll know TFT remained below 265F.:eek: How much below?.......you'll never know.🤷‍♂️ $30 for a dongle and $30 for a smartphone from Walmart......you must be squeezing a stimulus check 'till it bleeds. LOL I don't know anything about the Bluetooth monitors but the ScanGauge provides real time data on maybe a couple of dozen items.......4 displays at a time. Goes from one car to the next, plug-n-play.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Look at the bright side......presuming you do not see the idiot light, you'll know TFT remained below 265F.:eek: How much below?.......you'll never know.🤷‍♂️
All right, I admit that I may be getting some what facetious and having some fun here, so please do not get too uptight and serious, ok? :)

OK! We still have a year left on our warranty, 6 years if you add on the extended warranty, so if we are going to experiment with the tranny now is the time to be doing so? I would have to think that Honda would have calculated in a margin of safety for monitoring the temperature, so, no light, alright, right? On a similar note, a somewhat more serious question, does the Maintenance Minder monitor transmission fluid condition like it is supposed to be doing with engine oil? In other words, will the Maintenance Minder give an early warning if tranny fluid has deteriorated to a level where it should be changed?

Bill

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
All right, I admit that I may be getting some what facetious and having some fun here, so please do not get too uptight and serious, ok? :)

OK! We still have a year left on our warranty, 6 years if you add on the extended warranty, so if we are going to experiment with the tranny now is the time to be doing so? I would have to think that Honda would have calculated in a margin of safety for monitoring the temperature, so, no light, alright, right? On a similar note, a somewhat more serious question, does the Maintenance Minder monitor transmission fluid condition like it is supposed to be doing with engine oil? In other words, will the Maintenance Minder give an early warning if tranny fluid has deteriorated to a level where it should be changed?

Bill
Why would I get uptight about your tranny.🤷‍♂️LOL. Now, there is a post in a different thread, that says a Tech said 300F. :eek: I only get serious when someone posts something serious.;)(y)

·
Registered
7 Posts
A thought to "alexpeaseley" and others looking for a lighter towing option. We have a Trailmanor 2720 hard sided pop-up purchased in 2008 and towed first with and 07 RTS and now with a 19 RTL-e . Empty weight is roughly 2700 and loaded is about 4000.depending on options. It is a little more work to set up and tear down but, takes roughly an extra 10 to 15 minutes once you get the routine down. It is a minimalist setup but, it reduces wind drag so significantly to the point you hardly know it is behind you. We live in CO so we drag it into the mountains frequently with no troubles on either Ridgeline. A little more power would help on the higher passes but it will get you where you want to go. They have several different models you can see on their website and even a demonstration of how they setup and tear down. There is also a very good owners forum with a great deal of information at "Trailmanor Owners Forum. Everybody has different tastes and interests but this has worked well for us without a "WDH" or even a sway control. They are a little pricey compared to some of the lower end campers but worth a look.

BETMAR

21 - 33 of 33 Posts