·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this today:

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
RL did well this time around, still won't get any love though. In reading the comments many assume that the RL will be reliable. That's questionable for the 2nd gen. For me, I wish there was another alternative to AWD with another brand, closest is the 4 auto mode in the Colorado. When it snows or rains, the RL is outstanding.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Nice find...thanks for posting.

That was actually pretty "fair and balanced" IMO; pretty much highlighted the plusses/lowlighted the minuses of each.

·
Registered
65 Posts
That YouTube channel is very good overall, I watch it quite a bit. The Ridgeline all season tires are not great for these tests, I have slid down an icy hill with them myself. I've owned my RTL-E for about a year and a half. I've ridden down a very muddy dirt road once when I went camping and the Ridge handled it perfectly. How many people are really going to take their $40K vehicles to drive over jagged rocks?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Having owned 3 RLs including 2 G2s, they have been places they probably shouldn't have been and I've never had issues. Plus great in the snow as noted even with all seasons or all weathers.

Basically, if you need an off road truck, you can buy a number of good ones (I'd lean Colorado ZR2 with the diesel) .

One thing I know is the 2020 WILL do better is have more accent and decent control with the 9 speed in Sequential mode. One of the reasons I wanted the ZF transmission (which I like so far - albeit with only 2k miles currently).

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Everything from them is mostly this type of thing, or the "gauntlet". Neither of which 90+% of owners do. To me it's silly. How about a test with all of them where you corner in them on a twisty road to test the handling? Which one handles the snow better (with proper tires fitted). What's the best daily driver. How about towing 2-3k lbs, the kind of loads most would tow in a compact truck. I don't give a damn about that stupid stuff you do with rocks and stuff because if that was part of my life, I'd still have the Ridgeline, but I'd have an ATV in the bed, and a ramp or a MX bike and a ramp. And that's what I'd take up a mountain trail with rocks and trees and all sorts of shit that could damage a $40k truck. Much better to choose the right tool for the job. A MX bike or ATV is so much narrower, smaller, and better suited for the task. If you flip it or damage it you only have to nurse it back to the truck then get it fixed. It's not your daily driver. What they should do also is put Nathan in the back of each one and see how that would affect MPG.

·
Registered
374 Posts
TFL does a number of on-road comparisons, too. The RL stacks up fairly well, but, surprisingly to me, the Ranger had a quieter ride.

·
Registered
988 Posts
TFL does a number of on-road comparisons, too. The RL stacks up fairly well, but, surprisingly to me, the Ranger had a quieter ride.
I'd have to watch that video again - and I don't want to - but as I recall the meter was bouncing around, naturally, and it looked like they selected the lowest # for the Ranger. It did surprise me that the Ranger was in the same range though.

The one guy - the passenger in that so-called "test" - clearly despised the whole concept of the Ridgeline, spouting the usual truck-snob nonsense - stuff like a Ridgeline could be used for occasional light hauling, etc. Uh, the payload is around 1500#, and what would stop you from using the bed every day and every night too? The only limit besides the stated weight capacity is your small mind, mister truck reviewer, and BTW your weight is occupying a disproportionate amount of the GVW limit.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
113 Posts
One thing I know is the 2020 WILL do better is have more accent and decent control with the 9 speed in Sequential mode. One of the reasons I wanted the ZF transmission (which I like so far - albeit with only 2k miles currently).
Exactly why I waited for the 2020. I wanted full sequential control over all nine gears, especially the bottom two. PRNDL just didn't cut it for me.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Exactly why I waited for the 2020. I wanted full sequential control over all nine gears, especially the bottom two. PRNDL just didn't cut it for me.
It is nice that in Sequential it will not upshift on its own. Being under 2k miles, I haven't bounced it off the rev limiter for extended periods (nor will I later) but it will hold all the gears and downshift appropriately as needed. In Drive the start in second is a good feature since the ratio on 1st is so low.

In between my G1 and 2017 G2 I had two RAM 1500s with the ZF 8 speed. That is where I learned to like the electronic shift (the famous FCA puck). The RAM had 'gear limiter' buttons on the wheel which simply limited the top gear i.e. maybe 6th when towing in hilly terrain.

My second RAM was an EcoDiesel and then none of that mattered. I would tow our 5,000 lb boat at 70 mph, lope along in 8th at 1,600 rpm and get 20 mpg doing it. I do miss that part of it + the 700 mile highway range (with the 26 gallon tank).

·
Registered
957 Posts
That test TFL did vs the Ranger a while back had a lot of flaws. The noise test was screwed up. Andre used the Sequential mode (aka higher RPM) for the acceleration portion, and then left it in S for the noise test. Your are churning nearly 600 rpm more at 60 mph in Sequential vs Drive.

Guarantee if Nathan wasn't distracting him being himself, that Andre may have put it back into D. Guarantee the G2 is quieter than a FX4 Ranger at 60 mph. Maybe not by much. I excuse TFL for stuff like this...they are making so making videos, the details get lost sometimes.

Alex On Autos is probably the best source for real accurate test numbers. He is much more particular.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
The part on the TFL Truck on-road comparison was when Nathan said his wife and children like the Ridgeline better.
He needed a truck more capable off-roading and towing.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Guarantee if Nathan wasn't distracting him being himself, that Andre may have put it back into D. Guarantee the G2 is quieter than a FX4 Ranger at 60 mph. Maybe not by much. I excuse TFL for stuff like this...they are making so making videos, the details get lost sometimes.
I had a Ranger rental with stock tires and suspension last year, and it def not quieter at 60MPH than the G2 RL's Ive test-driven. The Ranger had Subaru-levels of noise at highway speeds; the RL was almost as quiet as my Acura TL.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It is nice that in Sequential it will not upshift on its own. Being under 2k miles, I haven't bounced it off the rev limiter for extended periods (nor will I later) but it will hold all the gears and downshift appropriately as needed. In Drive the start in second is a good feature since the ratio on 1st is so low.
According to Honda product engineers that's one reason they switched to the ZF was 1st gear being lower than the 6-speed, and being better for towing purposes. I was impressed with upshifts upon hard acceleration, like freeway on ramps, in my test drives. Will have my Obsidian Blue RTL-E here within a couple weeks (one of the last production builds before Honda Alabamy closed for deep cleaning).

I used to do autocross and track in modded MINI Cooper S JCWs, and that's when I became hooked on sequentials with paddles-- The ability to keep both hands on the wheel while shifting, especially on curves, was wonderful and defined control, and always resulted in faster cross and track lap times than sticks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
RL did well this time around, still won't get any love though. In reading the comments many assume that the RL will be reliable. That's questionable for the 2nd gen. For me, I wish there was another alternative to AWD with another brand, closest is the 4 auto mode in the Colorado. When it snows or rains, the RL is outstanding.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
One weekend, late December I hit black ice. The Ridgeline fishtailed, jacknived , and went off road for about 1/4 mile but it did NOT roll. That weekend, I'd heard at least 3-4 US make trucks rolled. We are a small rural community so word travels fast around here. I thank my lucky stars I was driving a Ridgeline and not an American made truck every time I remember that weekend of the wild ride!
The Ridgeline is the most American-made truck you can get. Perhaps you meant trucks made by companies with headquarters based in the U.S.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'll take a six or eight-speed manual, please. Until my '18 Ridgeline, I'd never owned an automatic. My last truck was a '03 Taco with a manual. I kept it for 15 years and sold it to CarMax for $6,500 which I immediately put towards my Black Edition. It was a solid and reliable truck, though not great up here in New England for avoid rust. The Ridgeline was a huge step up in terms of appointments, driving aesthetics, etc. IMO.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Although I read the comparison tests anyway; if nothing more for shits and giggles. The test expectations were as expected based on the terrain and competition. Props to the TFL guys for giving a fairly non-biased opinion by the way.

Apologies if this article has already been covered at length, but after a brief search I didn't see any reference. I don't see the point of having a Ridgeline in this type of off-road comparo with at least equipping it with tires that would make a massive difference with respect to traction. Ground clearance for the G2 is, quite frankly laughable, but as we all know, it's not a rock crawler not does it claim to be. I've owned a G1 and G2, and they are/were both great in the Colorado snow.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts