Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I repo cable boxes for a living. A lot of these cable boxes come from nasty houses and have cockroaches. With regular pickup design the roaches are completely isolated from the cab. After two weeks of using my ridgeline for work, last night I had a roach in the cab. Specifically it came out of the air vent. If they can access the cab from the trunk, I may not be able to keep the truck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would rather not leave this up for speculation. I would like to hear from someone who knows the design well enough to give a definitive yes or no. And if yes, maybe there is an area to be sealed off.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Yes there are vents in the trunk, I do not know if the connect to the cab because the cab has its own vents. For the vents in the trunk they are located all the way behind the spare tire a tight space but still can be sealed off.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
The trunk doesn't not direct connect with the cab. There are vents behind the spare tire. The cab has vents behind the rear seat. But not connected and the air vent in the truck certainly is not connected to either of those two vent areas.

Hitchhiker

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
There is no way it came in through the cab. If it did it could easily get in any door weatherstripping on any car.

·
Premium Member
7,780 Posts
Yes, the roach could have migrated from the trunk into the cab via the air vents behind the rear seats / trunk area. As far as coming out of a air vent, the roach would have had to crawl through the air pressure relief vents between the trunk / behind the rear seats. Then made its way into the A/C ducting at some other location.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,582 Posts
The air vents behind the rear seat vent to the bed:

I know of no way critters can migrate directly from the trunk to the cabin.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Traditional truck beds are "separated" from the cab, but they are bolted to the same frame as the cab. The critters you mention can crawl to a traditional cab just the same as with an RL.

Plastic tubs with seals might be an answer.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Bugs can crawl anywhere they want to go. Are there passages into the cab? Yes... as there are on every vehicle on the road.
Bugs crawl... & as long as there is a structural connection, they can get anywhere.

·
Super Moderator
22,582 Posts
That is true. But to my knowledge, there is no direct connection between the trunk and the cabin. I think that is the question the OP asked.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
That's the way I read it too Speed. And the answer would be: no direct paths, only obscure indirect paths that they might be able to follow with a roadmap...just like any other vehicle.

I'd second the locking bin suggestion if it were me.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
That is true. But to my knowledge, there is no direct connection between the trunk and the cabin. I think that is the question the OP asked.
That's the way I read it too Speed. And the answer would be: no direct paths, only obscure indirect paths that they might be able to follow with a roadmap...just like any other vehicle.

I'd second the locking bin suggestion if it were me.
You're right fellas.... OP was asking about trunk.... but given the context of his situation (loading up truck with old bug infested electrical boxes), and other comments about "conventional truck beds"??; I just HAD to assume he was talking about the bed, and not the trunk. I can't imagine why anyone would put something like that in the trunk vs. the bed!

But I'm now seeing that those were "cable boxes" not electrical boxes.... which probably means the cabinet top box that feeds the TV.... so I can see those getting put in the trunk. In THAT case, the RL would be WAY more likely to keep those bugs from the cab, than would a conventional truck bed. I can't imagine any vehicle that would isolate them any more than is done with our in-bed trunk.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
So lets roll them dice on how it could have happened. Some vent in the truck from a cable box, clothes or they just walked from the house to the truck plain and simple. Like Speed says I dont know of any vent or anything else from the truck to the cab. Wheres the OP, this is like the spider thread.:act018:

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Just make sure them varmints don't eat your knock sensor wiring harness..

Honda sells the repellent tape also.

.... AND the upgraded replacement cable is "armored" with a metal mesh jacket. Or at least mine was when they replaced it under warranty back in 2007 or so. Apparently didn't take them long to recognize this design-mistake/vulnerability. Squirrels got to mine while at mountain lake on vacation. Mine is 2006 RTL.

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
I worked at a restaurant on the Gulf Coast when I was in high school and one night I parked my Chevy Luv pickup behind the restaurant, under a big live oak tree and near the dumpster. At 2am, while drowsy driving 60mph down the highway, a 2" cockroach sprang from the defroster vent and walked to the edge of the dash right in front of me. I slammed on the brakes, shifted out of 5th, set the parking brake, opened the door and leapt from the truck all in one move as the truck skidded to a halt on the shoulder. I was on the highway jumping around and knocking off imaginary roaches while screaming like a little girl. Man those things give me the heebe-jeebies!

The next day I borrowed my mom's car and bought about a dozen sticky roach traps and put them all over the cab of the truck and didn't drive it again for two days. I think I caught one or two roaches.

GoFaster, I'd highly recommend putting a bunch of sticky traps in your cab to catch any hitchhikers. A couple in your trunk might catch any that escape the cable boxes as well.

·
Super Moderator
22,582 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts