Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are headed to Utah in my new RTL-E and I want to go on the trails, but don't know about the ground clearance etc.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
If crawling, I would definitely want to be observing TFT (the etc.). You know what they say about idiot lights.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
We have attempted to take our Ridgeline on what I would consider easy off road trails a couple of times, and we have the gouges in the skid plate under the engine to prove it, (that should be a hint.)

Bill

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I am considering just the 4x4 roads, hopefully not crawling.
Driving slow, for extended time, reduces airflow thru the tranny cooler. Observing TFT is precautionary......somewhat similar to a gas gauge.🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have attempted to take our Ridgeline on what I would consider easy off road trails a couple of times, and we have the gouges in the skid plate under the engine to prove it, (that should be a hint.)

Bill
What kind of skid plate do you have?
Driving slow, for extended time, reduces airflow thru the tranny cooler. Observing TFT is precautionary......somewhat similar to a gas gauge.🤷‍♂️
Ok, what is TFT?

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Just jumping in, not 100% sure but I assume it means Transmission Fluid Temps? You can see the Ridgeline on a 4X4 trail here in this video, which I thought was pretty neat. And the problem it does encounter is a Transmission Overheat, which sidelines it before the finish-line (and this issue creeps up before ground clearance issues do). Not sure how long the trails were etc. It's probably possible to upgrade the Transmission Cooler on the truck and get better performance, and maybe ensure that the fluid is new and clean before the trip, which could help?

Off Road Test (Overheat is at time marker 15:10)

Aftermarket Cooler Example Video from ETrailers

·
Administrator
20,360 Posts
Just jumping in, not 100% sure but I assume it means Transmission Fluid Temps? You can see the Ridgeline on a 4X4 trail here in this video, which I thought was pretty neat. And the problem it does encounter is a Transmission Overheat, which sidelines it before the finish-line (and this issue creeps up before ground clearance issues do). Not sure how long the trails were etc. It's probably possible to upgrade the Transmission Cooler on the truck and get better performance, and maybe ensure that the fluid is new and clean before the trip, which could help?
That should be much less of an issue with the lower 1st gear in the 2020+.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
That should be much less of an issue with the lower 1st gear in the 2020+.
Here is a video of a 2020 doing some off road stuff too which was cool to see as well, it's more recent then the first one I posted (which was the 2017 model, so this one has the 9-speed). It does also overheat at video marker time 8:45, though the driver does say in the video notes that they did a ton of runs and was pushing the vehicle in multiple drive modes as part of the test, so I think he would imply that it's quite capable stock if your goal isn't perhaps all-day recreational off-roading. But of course, that's just me trying to interpret the videos and his comments. I am sure some people on this forum have some direct experience they could contribute too.

·
Administrator
20,360 Posts
Here is a video of a 2020 doing some off road stuff too which was cool to see as well, it's more recent then the first one I posted (which was the 2017 model, so this one has the 9-speed). It does also overheat at video marker time 8:45...
That's the rear differential that overheated due to wheel spin - not the transmission. :)

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
That's the rear differential that overheated due to wheel spin - not the transmission. :)
Totally, I was just trying to point out that ground clearance didn't seem to be a primary issue when off-road I guess in these examples, per the OP question. Just trying to be helpful! :)

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Has anybody monitored 9 speed temps off-roading? The OP could be the 1st. That way he could confirm how much “less of an issue” 9 speed 1st gear would be. Woulda, coulda, shoulda.🤷‍♂️

I agree with pnwfrostline, if you can’t visually judge the size/depth of a rock/rut in front of you, maybe you shouldn’t be off-roading a stock, basically street vehicle.🤷‍♂️

Reactions: wjfyfe

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I agree with pnwfrostline, if you can’t visually judge the size/depth of a rock/rut in front of you, maybe you shouldn’t be off-roading a stock, basically street vehicle.🤷‍♂️
A bigger problem is when you come around that corner to find an obstacle without room to turn around! And with the Ridgeline it does not take much of an obstacle as compared to other "trucks!" :eek:

Bill

·
Registered
361 Posts
Trails and new vehicles don’t go well together. The trail always scores points so you have to decide if you want to play. Gravel roads are probably fine but if it gets worse, creek and paddle analogy comes up. Keep in mind that you have basically street tires designed for comfort. Don’t forget to air down (and up), a recovery strap and basic tools.

I hit the beach for spring break with the kids at Cape lookout in my G1, which was mostly deep sand. I’m running Kumho AT tires that I aired down to 18 psi. Changed the oil yesterday and found pockets of sand in areas but no damage. Super fun though!

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
725 Posts
I took my Ridge off roading this past weekend, it pulled my trailer to the trail, and I unloaded my ATV, the only way I'd use a Ridgeline off road, it's not a all terrain vehicle (IMO) and my ATV goes where no Ridgeline could ever go. Plus, it's far cheaper to fix a ATV!

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
.......but is your ATV air conditioned?🤭

1 - 20 of 75 Posts