Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
I was gonna say... a dirt bike will fit in the bed and absolutely embarass the most hard-core offroad Jeep out there. Can't ride a dirt bike? You can get a brand new Honda Trail 125, automatic clutch, and will still go way more places than a Jeep.

Registered
.....so the only thing the Rigi does not have or can be fitted with is the locking diff? Lol.馃し鈥嶁檪锔忦煠煈嶐煒 The Rigi don鈥檛 need no stinking button, it does it automatically.馃槺

Reactions: CNC1

Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
.....so the only thing the Rigi does not have or can be fitted with is the locking diff? Lol.馃し鈥嶁檪锔忦煠煈嶐煒
I highly doubt if anyone makes a locking diff, and we don't have a low range-that's the first clue it isn't made for real off road use.

Registered
Agreed......just funin鈥.

Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
I knew you was, but I did have a ARB air locker installed in my old Samurai, it would go like heck, but when it was engaged, you couldn't turn it.

Registered
Done a couple of PowerTrax No-Slip lockers myself.

Reactions: CNC1

Registered
2021 WBE
@PNW Mark back to your original question. I think the RL can get a lot farther than folks give it credit for. The video from a previous post "anywhere a subaru could go" is probably pretty accurate. I'd wager you could go a bit farther (with above enhancements) given AWD system + 1st gear (vs CVT). A lot of folks talk about the RL like it's some sports car that can't touch a dirt road, when IMO I feel like the Subaru comp is pretty accurate.

This is especially true with a few enhancements (like some mild AT tires + skid plates). It will never do any super rocky trails, but certainly forest roads/back country trails should be more than do-able. For reference I took my bone stock RL on a few poorly maintained BLM trails in New Mexico a few years back with no issue.

I follow this channel on Youtube, and would bet that an RL with skid + improved tires could make it to 90% of the places he goes here without issue. The super rocky trails would be a no-go, but everything else should be do-able. Just my 2c

Registered
2021 WBE
Butttttt, that being said, I agree with the sentiment that if you want to go "real" off-roading, just get a dirtbike/ATV/SS and tow it with the RL!

My use for the RL is for cool camping locations, and there's never been somewhere that I wanted to go that I couldn't get to in the RL. I wouldn't take it on recreational off-road Jeep routes as a hobby, but it can get me to the "off the beaten path" type BLM/NFS campsites without any issue, and be comfortable doing it for the 95% of the drive that's on highway.

Registered
May I ask what you are using to monitor your TFTs?.....what temps have you observed so far, driving conditions, etc.?

Registered
What Honda considers to be "off-road."

As long as this is also your definition of a "4X4 trail", you shouldn't have any problems.
Bill

Registered
Every frame in that 1 minute commercial shows the vehicles moving at a good clip, thus lots of airflow thru the tranny cooler. Not saying the Rigi can't do the fun stuff in the commercial, obviously it can. Just saying from experience the TFT can get a little toasty driving slow in town, high(er) ambient temp, crawling......and off road driving probably adds more stress thus generating higher TFTs. I'm not saying don't go off roading.....just saying things under the hood could change significantly and there are ways to monitor what's changing.馃憣

Registered
Since you keep bringing this up, we have done quite a bit of "crawling" with our Ridgeline and have yet to experience any tranny overheating issues, our only "complaint" is that the 6-speed will not downshift into first gear for braking, (this should be the hint that we are actually "crawling!) With this said, I have come to believe that it is the continual up and down shifting that is creating most of the heat issues being voiced. Shift the Ridgeline into low while in the back country, and D4 while towing a heavier trailer up and down them hills, and I bet that others will also find that they have fewer, if any, issues.
Bill

Registered
JonDZAdventuring has a few videos with Honda Ridgelines, 6 speed if i remember correctly. The Ridgelines did have AT overheating issues at high elevation. If you plan offroading, AT cooler is not optional, it's the first upgrade. I honestly, think it does not matter 6 speed or 9 speed, a cool AT will last longer.

As far as offroading, your stock ground clearance is your #1 obstacle and approach/departure angles is your #2. If you only plan driving on maintained gravel forest roads, you are perfectly fine. If you plan driving on rough roads, you will find limits of your stock truck pretty quick. There are things you can do to improve your chances of arriving at your destination:

1. Oversized AT or Mud tires. +1 or 30.5 inch tires will fit without rubbing. It will get you .5 inch ground clearance and more traction and puncture protection. You can fit 31.5 inch tire with some trimming and at least a 2 inch lift but do you research as tires are not made equal in size. Some AT tires are square and bulky, so you will get a lot more rub or will be required to cut metal. Finally, Traxda has front axel relocation kit that will allow you to fit 32 inch tire without the need to cut metal in the back of the wheel well. You will need to trim some plastic in front of the tire, but it is easy to do and you can always revert back. I think they fit 275/65R18 tire which is 32.1.

2. Skid plate. If you are concerned about rocks, add some protection down there. No-Lo Designs has a few options. I would start with the front one.

3. Getting a lift. Up till recently, 2 inch F/R lift was the most common one offered at a very reasonable price. For quite a bit more coin you can get 3.5 inch lift 3.5F/3R. I am seeing many folks installing 3.5 lifts and switching from 2 inch lift to 3.5. I have 2 inch lift and +1 tires, so I got about 2.5 extra clearance. It's not much but it is a noticeable improvement to ground clearance and approach/departure angles. If you do a search online, there are a ton of videos about Passports, Ridgelines and even Pilots being lifted. I personally think it that lifting makes the truck more practical offroad even it if is just dirt or snow. Would I switch to 3.5 lift? Only if my offroading needs require that much more clearance. I will most likely buy 32 inch tires before I get 3.5 inch lift. I barely do offroading and my vehicle is used mostly for commuting.

Registered
Since you keep bringing this up, we have done quite a bit of "crawling" with our Ridgeline and have yet to experience any tranny overheating issues, our only "complaint" is that the 6-speed will not downshift into first gear for braking, (this should be the hint that we are actually "crawling!) With this said, I have come to believe that it is the continual up and down shifting that is creating most of the heat issues being voiced. Shift the Ridgeline into low while in the back country, and D4 while towing a heavier trailer up and down them hills, and I bet that others will also find that they have fewer, if any, issues.
Bill
Can you throw out some observed TFT temp numbers? Thanks.

Registered
You should be able to do the shafer trail from top down. I think that is from island in the sky in canyon land down to the highway. It's basically a graded dirt road.

Cathedral valley loop is another one well below ridgeline limit. That one is in capital reef. There is a river crossing but doable for any cuv. Lots of videos on youtube.

I would start with nolo designs skid plate for insurance.. the oil pan is fully exposed.

Nolo plate will fully cover it, plus transmission and front transfer case.

Registered
Can you throw out some observed TFT temp numbers? Thanks.
Nope, I cannot, but as long as I don't get any codes, lights or symptoms I am really not too concerned. Coming up at the end of the month we are going to be towing a four to five thousand pound cargo trailer a thousand miles across the NW over the Cascade and Rocky Mountains which will put my theory to a real test.

Bill

21 - 40 of 75 Posts