Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
We took our 2008 Ridgeline in 2012 off-roading through southern and eastern Utah. No mods or lifts or off-road tires, just the standard options. We started in Page, AZ and drove through Grand Staircase - Escalante National Monument to Escalante, UT. Most of the roads showed up on the GPS, primarily as ranch roads but some were a little more difficult. Traveling on a bare rock slope we met a Jeep Wrangler with large off-road tires and we starting wondering it we had gone too far, but didn't want to turn around since we knew what we had been through. Next the actual road had moved over as it went into a streambed, the bank was too steep. The rear bumper dragged as we went into the stream. We traveled a couple miles in the streambed before the road came out. The next day was just gravel roads, followed with the next day in Cathedral Valley. Well worth the trip, bottomed out a couple of times. And later we thought we probably shouldn't have done this off-roading, but the Ridgeline came though without any problems.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just install the nolo designs skid plate. I never worked on a car before and installed it in 20 minutes.

Just 6 bolts. 2 needs to be torqued to 40 lbs i had to use a 12 inch breaker bar.

10 and 14 mm sockets. The center jack point cut out was too small for my jack so i drove it on ramps. It's easier than changing your oil.

Attachments

·
Registered
554 Posts
Canyonlands has a lot of dirt roads that shouldn't be a problem, same with some trails elsewhere such as the one in Capitol Reef that someone else mentioned. You can drive down to the big arch in Canyonland; it's really cool. Only after I walked across it did I find out you're not supposed to do that. I was actually thinking of driving across, but it's good I didn't. I would avoid the 4x4 trail through Arches (I think there's only one), unless you find out some recent info that it has changed. I did that one in my Chevy with the low gear range and higher ground clearance and better off-road tires and it was still very difficult in a couple of spots, but that was many years ago.

Some testers say the Ridgeline does surprisingly well at a variety of off-road tasks that one might not expect it to be able to accomplish, but you've always got to be aware of the low-ground clearance, lack of low-gear range, and probable lack of good off-road tires. Let us know how the trip goes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
We are headed to Utah in my new RTL-E and I want to go on the trails, but don't know about the ground clearance etc.
The Ridgeline, in my opinion, is a vehicle that exemplifies the versatility of a truck with the ride qualities of a comfortable sedan/suv ride comfort. While the all wheel drive can keep you safer in many instances, it is a good vehicle, but it is not designed for true off roading. Basically, it's not a jeep.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The Ridgeline, in my opinion, is a vehicle that exemplifies the versatility of a truck with the ride qualities of a comfortable sedan/suv ride comfort. While the all wheel drive can keep you safer in many instances, it is a good vehicle, but it is not designed for true off roading. Basically, it's not a jeep.
spot on..... its a slightly lifted FWD with rear drive part time, Ranchero/El Camino, with efficiencies none of those had.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We are headed to Utah in my new RTL-E and I want to go on the trails, but don't know about the ground clearance etc.
Took my 2017 black edition ridgeline to Moab and drove through Arches, I did take one 4WD only trail which never really challenged the truck, however it challenged my wife and therefore we turned around.
My Ridgeline is best at eating up highway miles. The scenic drive from MOAB up the river is spectacular.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Took my 2017 black edition ridgeline to Moab and drove through Arches, I did take one 4WD only trail which never really challenged the truck, however it challenged my wife and therefore we turned around.
My Ridgeline is best at eating up highway miles. The scenic drive from MOAB up the river is spectacular.
If it's the one I drove, it's good you turned around. I thought there was only one 4-wheel drive trail in Arches but I looked it up and I guess there are more, but some are described as 2-wheel drive under normal conditions. The one I remember goes through and across several washes that have short steep sections with very uneven terrain and rocks & outcroppings sticking up, and maybe narrow in spots so you can't go to far one way or the other in choosing a path, and I think one spot requiring a sharp turn in a narrow ravine that was hard to fit through in my Chevy Silverado (1995, so not all that much bigger than a RL).

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
892 Posts
One thing no one has mentioned, our trucks have a superior AWD system over a 4X4 set up. Most 4X4 only have one wheel actually driving per axle, unless they have posi, or some type of locking differential. I've seen a lot of "good ol boys" find this out the hard way at mud bogs. Our real shortcoming is lack of altitude and a low range, if we had both we would really go places. But, without a frame, it may be easy to tweek things or even bend a unibody-maybe that's why Honda doesn't make these more off road friendly.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I don’t know about the gen 2’s but I had a 2007RL, took it off road many times, it would go pretty much anywhere my friends with jeeps or Tacos went with the exception of rock crawling, never had any problems with it and only had it stuck 3x. Yes it doesn’t have the ground clearance as other 4x4 but if your smart while driving trails you shouldn’t have any problems. If you want to see some of the best pictures of RLS off-reading, check out the videos our Russian friends posted , you may have to search some because it was quite awhile ago.

·
Registered
554 Posts
A lot of it comes down to experience. I went to some places thinking the road was risky and i shouldn't have done it, then see a sedan parked at the end.
There's a one-way road down the east side of Death Valley that isn't too bad, but I was glad I had a 4-wheel drive for a couple of steep and rough sections. A couple days later we were walking in the narrow canyon where the trail comes out at the bottom and saw a Ford Mustang coming out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
There's a one-way road down the east side of Death Valley that isn't too bad, but I was glad I had a 4-wheel drive for a couple of steep and rough sections. A couple days later we were walking in the narrow canyon where the trail comes out at the bottom and saw a Ford Mustang coming out.
Titus canyon. Named after a guy who died there due to harsh conditions.. i know some one made that rd with a honda fit. Under ideal conditions

·
Registered
554 Posts
Titus canyon. Named after a guy who died there due to harsh conditions.. i know some one made that rd with a honda fit. Under ideal conditions
My Volkswagon Rabbit did pretty well in a few off-road situations--a short vehicle, decent ground clearance, and good traction with the front wheel drive. Probably similar to a Honda Fit in that regard. I took it places I would never take a Mustang, or my wife's Mazda3.

·
Registered
49 Posts
61 - 75 of 75 Posts