Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yes and no. The LX570 is a 200 series Land Cruiser (a vehicle I own and know very well.)

Can the RL drive up a muddy hill? Yes.

Can the RL make it all the places an LX570 or LC will go? Hahahahahaha..... sorry, just a sec... hahahahahaha! hahahahahhahaha!

Ok I'm done. No, the RL will not go the places an LX570 will go, if the owner is brave enough to actually push their $90,000 truck to it's limits.

That sound of the crawl control - the ABS working - can be unnerving at first. But it's stout. I've been wheeling with that system for many years. It has shown up as ATRAC (in the FJ Cruiser) and then Crawl Control in the 4Runners and Land Cruisers. It's an amazing system.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes and no. The LX570 is a 200 series Land Cruiser (a vehicle I own and know very well.)

Can the RL make it all the places an LX570 or LC will go? Hahahahahaha..... sorry, just a sec... hahahahahaha! hahahahahhahaha!

Ok I'm done. No, the RL will not go the places an LX570 will go, if the owner is brave enough to actually push their $90,000 truck to it's limits.

That sound of the crawl control - the ABS working - can be unnerving at first. But it's stout. I've been wheeling with that system for many years. It has shown up as ATRAC (in the FJ Cruiser) and then Crawl Control in the 4Runners and Land Cruisers. It's an amazing system.

I wasn't trying to compare the LX570 to the RL. I was actually showing what the LX570 can do. The 570 is way over my budget but it's a nice capable SUV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
I wasn't trying to compare the LX570 to the RL. I was actually showing what the LX570 can do. The 570 is way over my budget but it's a nice capable SUV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The title of your thread is actually "Can the Ridgeline do this in Mud Mode?"

And yes, the LX570 is the most capable luxury SUV on the planet. It's hard to overstate just how capable and tough that truck truly is.

·
Super Moderator
1,563 Posts
So..... you can buy two Black Editions for the price of one 570 ?

Heck then you could just use one truck to pull the other one out if it got stuck! lol 2 for the price of one !

Steve

·
Registered
303 Posts

I'm sure there could of been a better way to say that. :|

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
This is impressive. Very impressive. But, in my opinion, does it not take just a little bit of fun out of driving?

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,592 Posts
Just curious, but why did he have his foot on the brake climbing that muddy hill? I saw the 3rd brake light on. Does that somehow change something in the driveline effectiveness?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Just curious, but why did he have his foot on the brake climbing that muddy hill? I saw the 3rd brake light on. Does that somehow change something in the driveline effectiveness?
I saw a Range Rover video a few years ago where the instructors were teaching new owners to very lightly engage the brakes in mud and slippery hill climbing. Doing that apparently helped the traction control transfer torque faster to the non slipping wheel.

May or may not be what he was doing, or with today's technology, it may have been engaged automatically like another poster said. I've used this technique with my AWD Highlander in the past and seems to work, but who knows as it's difficult to replicate without another exact vehicle using opposite technique.

After reviewing the video again, I'm pretty certain that's what he is doing. You can see his brake lights go on and off periodically BUT stay on when he is at the top of the hill and not slipping anymore.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,592 Posts
That was the auto ABS at work. I don't think he took his foot off the gas. Car did all the work
I may be wrong, but I don't believe ABS turns on brake lights. Aren't the brake lights driven off a switch on the brake pedal?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I may be wrong, but I don't believe ABS turns on brake lights. Aren't the brake lights driven off a switch on the brake pedal?
Not really sure. Just been told auto-braking does activate the brake lights if it changes your speed enough to matter to the person behind you. What happens with traction control, I don't know. I've been thinking about putting a mirror on my tailgate so I can see when the lights come on.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Not really sure. Just been told auto-braking does activate the brake lights if it changes your speed enough to matter to the person behind you. What happens with traction control, I don't know. I've been thinking about putting a mirror on my tailgate so I can see when the lights come on.
Brake lights come on with the pedal but I think the car is applying the brakes on its own, which also activates the brake lights. It is not ABS, I think it works by magic. or something.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts