Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to disable the tailgate warning (dash light and beeping) when the tailgate is in the drop-down position? Did Honda consider that people would like to actually drive their trucks with the tailgate down sometimes when hauling long items and create a way to shut off the annoying warning?

Here's the deal...

A month or so ago I used my truck move a large kayak a few miles from my Grandparents' house to my parents' house. I put it in the bed and had the tailgate down in the drop-down position (like a normal truck tailgate), with the kayak sticking out the back. I drove for maybe 15-20 minutes like this and never once did the "tailgate open/down" alarm come on.

I recently purchased another kayak and have hauled it that same way 4 times, and each time I was immediately greeted with the loud beeping and dashboard display of the tailgate being open. Well duh, the tailgate is open, I want it that way, but do I HAVE to listen to this alarm the whole time?!?

I've tried searching the forum... not much there. Can anyone help me out? Obviously there will be times when us Ridgers want to haul something with the tailgate down and not have to listen to an alarm going off.

Is it possible that I have a faulty sensor? I suppose I should also mention that it seems like sometimes my cargo lights will flicker when I'm doing something in the bed (loading/unloading, using it is as a bench, etc.). Maybe there is a faulty wire or something...

I still have plenty of warranty left, but I'd like to avoid the hassle of taking it to a dealer if possible. Of course, if there is a problem, I will get it fixed, just wondering if this is normal and there is something built-in to disable the alarm.

Any help would be great, thanks!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Is this driving with the tailgate down or swung open to the side? There is an alarm to tell you the tailgate is open from the side (though it only sounds when you start the truck) but nothing should alarm to tell you that it's down. Maybe this is a "feature" on newer trucks?

Does the door/TPMS/tailgate indicator next to the odometer also flicker in conjunction with your cargo lights? This sounds suspicious.

·
Premium Member
7,780 Posts
Is there a way to disable the tailgate warning (dash light and beeping) when the tailgate is in the drop-down position? Did Honda consider that people would like to actually drive their trucks with the tailgate down sometimes when hauling long items and create a way to shut off the annoying warning?

Here's the deal...

A month or so ago I used my truck move a large kayak a few miles from my Grandparents' house to my parents' house. I put it in the bed and had the tailgate down in the drop-down position (like a normal truck tailgate), with the kayak sticking out the back. I drove for maybe 15-20 minutes like this and never once did the "tailgate open/down" alarm come on.

I recently purchased another kayak and have hauled it that same way 4 times, and each time I was immediately greeted with the loud beeping and dashboard display of the tailgate being open. Well duh, the tailgate is open, I want it that way, but do I HAVE to listen to this alarm the whole time?!?

I've tried searching the forum... not much there. Can anyone help me out? Obviously there will be times when us Ridgers want to haul something with the tailgate down and not have to listen to an alarm going off.

Is it possible that I have a faulty sensor? I suppose I should also mention that it seems like sometimes my cargo lights will flicker when I'm doing something in the bed (loading/unloading, using it is as a bench, etc.). Maybe there is a faulty wire or something...

I still have plenty of warranty left, but I'd like to avoid the hassle of taking it to a dealer if possible. Of course, if there is a problem, I will get it fixed, just wondering if this is normal and there is something built-in to disable the alarm.

Any help would be great, thanks!
The sensor on the right hand side bottom edge of the bed needs to be adjusted.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
I have not yet driven with it down, though came close on more than one occasion. There must be a way since it is down when carrying bikes, with or without a bed extender, etc.

A related issue I had was the alarm going off a while after locking up and leaving. It appeared to be an issue with the tailgate sensor. It turns out it was simply a matter of slamming the tailgate a little harder when closing from a drop down position (not side opening).
I could slam the tailgate just enough to where it seems like it is holding just fine. But when I gripped the top of the tailgate and put pressure on it there was still some play.

There should be zero play! It should come up firm and stay tight with no play at all. Maybe it is just mine that is that way, but since I found this out have had no alarms go off.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Is this driving with the tailgate down or swung open to the side? There is an alarm to tell you the tailgate is open from the side (though it only sounds when you start the truck) but nothing should alarm to tell you that it's down. Maybe this is a "feature" on newer trucks?

Does the door/TPMS/tailgate indicator next to the odometer also flicker in conjunction with your cargo lights? This sounds suspicious.
beatle,

This is when the tailgate is down, not swung open, but down like any other truck tailgate. Come to think of it, since I have owned my truck (bought it Oct. 2014) I have hauled numerous things of length (couch, bed, lumber) with the tailgate down, and I never have I had that alarm go off. It is only in the last 2-3 weeks hauling my kayak that it started to go off...

To test it, today I left my truck running, and with the windows and driver's door open, I dropped down the tailgate and immediately heard the alarm going off as soon as I released the tailgate. I did locate the sensor on the bottom right-hand corner, and saw that it is a push-button-type mechanism, requiring pressure from the tailgate to compress, and therefore "sense" that it is closed. Anyway, with just opening the tailgate the alarm sounds.

As far as the dash lights go, i've only noticed the "door open" (tailgate) light is on while the tailgate alarm is sounding. About the cargo lights, I have only noticed the flickering while I'm by myself working in the bed, so I cannot say if anything else is happening inside the cab.

The sensor on the right hand side bottom edge of the bed needs to be adjusted.
Mike, How would you adjust the sensor? I did not spend much time with it as I was in the middle of the street by the mailbox, but I could tell by pressing it in, the sensor was deactivated, similar to a refriegerator plunger turning the light on and off. Something that just came to me is, is it threaded? letting you screw it inwards or outwards to adjust the position of the sensor? If not, how would I adjust it? Duct tape shim on the tailgate?

As always, I am so thankful for the resource that is the ROC! I appreciate all of the help anyone has to offer.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
4,171 Posts

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Could be a mis-adjusted trunk lid switch - don't remember if it sets off the alarm.

Chip H.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
This seems odd since the tailgate switch doesn't serve as a trigger for the factory alarm.
I thought it was odd myself. But this was a recurring problem until I realized I had not always fully closed the tailgate. When I did the alarm issue stopped.
Maybe I was having an issue with the trunk lid and the tailgate was putting some pressure on it?

·
Registered
379 Posts
As far as the dash lights go, i've only noticed the "door open" (tailgate) light is on while the tailgate alarm is sounding.
That definitely seems like your problem. The light on the dash will look like the tailgate swinging open. This is to indicate that the tailgate has swung open; it's not to indicate that the tailgate is down. As your tailgate is simply down, there should be no alarm. Since your truck is still under warranty, this is a very easy fix. :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input everyone. Sounds like I will have to take it to the dealer to get it fixed for good. I might play around with it a little bit more to see if it is adjustable, but from what I saw the other day, I don't think it is.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone. Sounds like I will have to take it to the dealer to get it fixed for good. I might play around with it a little bit more to see if it is adjustable, but from what I saw the other day, I don't think it is.
Be careful about that. They might just decide that you "playing around with it" has voided your warranty in that area. If they see any 'witness' marks in the area, or other evidence of tampering, they may balk. You never can tell..... a lot depends on who you're dealing with. Best leave it alone & let them do their thing.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, that thread has some good info. It sounds like the lights flickering and the alarm are all related to the tailgate sensor. It sounds like the Honda shim is what I need, but if it is not too much of a pain, I will try to get the dealership to do it to keep my warranty intact.

Thanks all. I'll let you know when I ever get around to this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts