Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a fairly new Utah resident as well as a new Ridgeline owner. I've been watching lots of reviews and videos on different setups designed to let you camp in the bed, on the roof, etc.

Has anyone invested in any of these options with their Ridgeline? What are some cool ways to set your Ridgeline up for driving off the beaten path a bit and camping out in it?

Thank you for your time.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
I've got a SofTopper and their tent that works well for me. I used to be a long distance backpacker so I have a lifetime accumulation of that stuff too. Now I use a Thermarest LuxuryMap and a Big Agnes Buffalo Park sleeping bag w/ Thermarest Neoair. So, I end up sleeping on two air mattresses. Trangia alcohol stove and Snowpeak Ti cookware. Liquor helps. And, I am unencumbered by a spouse.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You're at the point I was a year ago.
The ridge line roof like most late model cars is rated at 165 pounds dynamic load. The static load is much higher.

I just returned from a 5 week 9500 mile trip around the Northwestern United States. I was even rock crawling through the Escalante region.
I ran into many naysayers in my quest to mount a tent on the roof and not on the back.
The proof is in the pudding!

·
Registered
12 Posts
The ridge line roof like most late model cars is rated at 165 pounds dynamic load. The static load is much higher.

I just returned from a 5 week 9500 mile trip around the Northwestern United States. I was even rock crawling through the Escalante region.
I ran into many naysayers in my quest to mount a tent on the roof and not on the back.

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,344 Posts

The proof is in the pudding!
You're right, it's 165 lbs not 110. But I see nothing about that number being dynamic or static. I'm glad you got real world proof that the roof is stronger than some people thing.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
JSport has some really nice looking bed mounted stuff but it is too expensive for my budget. They also have crappy photos on their website.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Why put the tent on the back? That defeats the purpose of the truck bed. I guess you would get a lower center of gravity but I never felt like I was going to tip over, In fact I did not even pay attention to it. My goal was to not pull a trailer and I'm glad I didn't. Many area's restrict access to vehicles that are long or are towing trailers.
I saw two other 2nd gen Ridgelines with roof top tents and many cars of all sizes sporting one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got a SofTopper and their tent that works well for me. I used to be a long distance backpacker so I have a lifetime accumulation of that stuff too. Now I use a Thermarest LuxuryMap and a Big Agnes Buffalo Park sleeping bag w/ Thermarest Neoair. So, I end up sleeping on two air mattresses. Trangia alcohol stove and Snowpeak Ti cookware. Liquor helps. And, I am unencumbered by a spouse.
Farther, tell me more about the softopper. We are considering one, even though it is more than we want to spend. We will likely buy one of those SUV style tents too as my 6'4" husband isn't excited about dressing in limited space of the bed. The softopper would give us the length to sleep thankfully but we'll need something to keep the bugs out and give us stretching space.
Also looking to buy used equipment but I don't seem to be having much luck especially the softopper.
Suggestions welcome.
Can we start a "Camping Hack" string?

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
Farther, tell me more about the softopper.
I am very pleased with it so far. It fits, finish and functions as advertised and so far in the Pacific Northwest I have noticed no moisture in the bed. I do have to check it out more closely but so far I have detected no problems.

I have two minor complaints.
1.) Getting into the back is not quite as convenient as a hardtop with a one-hand twist and raise. To get into the back you need to rip the Velcro, unzip both sides, unsnap the hold-down bar, pull the bar from its mounts and roll up to secure. But I'm getting used to it and will adjust.
2.) Vision to the rear is slightly diminished.

I think the greatest convenience is that with a hardtop I was always wanting the cap off when it was on and always wanting it on when it was off. And removing a hardtop is not a one-person job. The SoftTopper address that problem very well.

Overall I am very pleased and have no complaints about the quality of the topper. If the aesthetics of a soft pickup cap is not a problem, I think the SoftTopper is a good choice.

Here is a link to a discussion about the SoftTopper.

What specifically do you want to know?

Does your user name mean that you used to live in Maine?

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is a great help and we will likely order one soon. You have confirmed what I have been reading about the softopper. We have dealt with a hard top with our past 2 fords and you hit the nail on the head. Plus it looks like I can deal with the softopper by myself rather than waiting for my husband to help. It would be nice to buy used but I don't see any in the mid-Atlantic area.
RE: what else..... How close does the softopper come to the cab? I had planned to use my window screens and open the windows in front and the back window to allow for air flow. Will I need to find a way to fill the gaps? I'm thinking something like pool noodles :p
Since you mentioned that opening the back is a pain it made me realize (tho I have watched the videos multiple times) that the softopper doesn't lift up like a tailgate. :( I have ordered an EZ-up cube tent to back the truck close and open the back into. It may not work but I can return the cube. Or perhaps I can rig the hold down bar up somehow. Do we have a "hack" page? :)
Yes, grew up in Maine. Originally moved to NH in the late 90s and to VA in mid-2000s. Don't miss the snow but the lakes and ocean can't be duplicated. Camping season in VA is much longer Though. Thanks for you response!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts