Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Any members have any experience(horror stories)from trying to cancel third party extended warranties? Per my contract, I have to send the dealer a written letter stating that I wish to cancel my policy. The dealer is 1 1/2 hours away from me, but I planned on going there with the letter(also notarized odometer disclosure), sometime next week. Should I just send it certified letter instead? I expect pushback on this so If I'm going to end up going there at some point anyway, I'd just assume do it from the start.

I should add that the only reason I'm cancelling this is because I'd simply rather have a Honda Care warranty(should have waited, I know), and I believe there is something in the contract that states I need to make an effort to take it to the selling dealer for warranty work. Since they are a 1 1/2 hours away, that may become an issue.

Thanks in advance, and please keep the scolding to a minimum. 馃槉

Administrator
I don't recall anyone reporting experiences (good or bad) canceling third-party warranties or service contracts, but I have seen people cancel Honda Care after overpaying at the selling dealer then purchasing it for half price at online Honda dealers.

I'd follow their instructions to minimize their wiggle room.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I don't recall anyone reporting experiences (good or bad) canceling third-party warranties or service contracts, but I have seen people cancel Honda Care after overpaying at the selling dealer then purchasing it for half price at online Honda dealers.

I'd follow their instructions to minimize their wiggle room.
I reached out to the finance manager through email, but haven't heard back yet. I think I will follow all instructions. I'm trying to leave as many trails as well.

Super Moderator
I cancelled a third party warranty on a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe. The drivers side front seat was hurting my back and I planned on selling the vehicle within 8 months of purchase.

In my case, I was required to go into the finance office to secure the proper paperwork for the cancellation. It took about 6 weeks for the funds to be credited to my auto loan. Needless to say, the finance guy was none too pleased. Stay on top of your request and DO NOT rely solely upon email - you will probably have to head back to the dealership. It might be tough to find a person in the finance department, if you warn them why you are there. Just tell them you are there to talk to the finance manager without providing a specific reason.

Good luck!

Registered
I cancelled mine a month or so after buying the truck when I got the paperwork and figured out it wasn't a Honda warranty. This was my first Honda in 20 years and I never dreamed that a Honda dealership would be selling a third party insurance policy instead of factory.

The dealer had to get the paperwork ready and then I had to go in and sign a couple days later. Was kinda funny as the "business manager" was visibly pissed and kept asking "why are you doing this"? I told him why and that it made me rethink buying a Honda. He made the process difficult and very uncomfortable, but I just stuck to my guns and said "no" to every counter offer he made. That was over 3 years ago and to this day, neither the salesman nor the business manager will make eye contact with me.

You most likely won't get a check cut to you, but the refund will be sent to the financing company and be applied to your principal.

Good luck and "stick to your guns". :cool:

Administrator
...I never dreamed that a Honda dealership would be selling a third party insurance policy instead of factory.
It's simple - dealers make more profit on third-party service contracts. At one point, my local Honda dealer wouldn't even sell a Honda Care VSC. They'll gladly honor Honda Care, though, because Honda reimburses them quickly unlike some third-party service contracts.

Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
I never dreamed that a Honda dealership would be selling a third party insurance policy instead of factory.
It's simple - dealers make more profit on third-party service contracts. At one point, my local Honda dealer wouldn't even sell a Honda Care VSC.
At my closing the dealer rep made a slick multi-media sales pitch for a 'VSC', never disclosing the party behind the plan, it was obviously (to the informed) not "HondaCare" though all the graphics and words were very much Honda-tailored.

Not too surprised at that, I was surprised that when I declined the offer in no uncertain terms with a mention that I would consider non-financed purchase of a "Genuine HondaCare" plan if competitively priced .... she didn't even bat an eye, just moved-on to the maintenance plan pitch (which I cut-off immediately).

That dealer (one of the Penske nationwide network) never made any mention or attempt whatsoever to make a sale of any 'Honda-branded' product of the sort.

Registered
My dealership doesn't sell HondaCare either. I had the same experience as CentexG2 with the presentation and made the mistake of assuming it was HondaCare.
I've learned and although I love the Truck and it fits my needs perfectly, My dealership and my problems with this truck makes me feel that this will most likely be my last Honda.
Until this Honda, I've had Toyotas for the last 30 years or so and love their vehicles and most importantly, their dealership.

Registered
My dealership and my problems with this truck makes me feel that this will most likely be my last Honda.
Always a bummer to read that, but ya gotta go with your experience :cry:

(knocking on wood) I've had no issues, and the dealer with the best selling price where I bought mine is the farthest of 3 in the Austin area for me, so I'll start with the closest when the need for Honda service arises, and go from there if it's not satisfying.

Registered
Did all this happen quick enough that you'll get a full refund, or will it be pro-rated?

In any case, glad to read you're extricated from a plan you realized you didn't like, hope that (with or without HondaCare) lets you enjoy your RL even more! (y)

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Did all this happen quick enough that you'll get a full refund, or will it be pro-rated?

In any case, glad to read you're extricated from a plan you realized you didn't like, hope that (with or without HondaCare) lets you enjoy your RL even more! (y)
Prorated. I bought the truck last May. 10,000 plus miles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts