Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my new owners manual and letter stateing the extended warranty Honda now offers. I went down to my Honda dealer and told them I no longer wanted my extended warranty that I purchased just for the reason that Honda now covered for free. I filled out a claim form and will be refunded $1460.00.:) So , if anyone else bought the extended warranty, that is how you cancel it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I didn't buy one, but it's good to hear Honda isn't giving you a hard time about getting a refund.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Thanks for the info. I am trying to decide if there is ANY advantage to my keeping the extended warranty.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Me too! I weighing the option of cancelling it or keeping it! Does anyone know if Honda was doing anything different to those who bought the extended warranty, like giving them an extra 2 years or more milage added on to their extended warranty?
thanks Mike:confused:

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Thanks for the update.. I to am wondering to keep or return the warranty:confused:
The extended covers more than the powertrain, it covers things such as a loaner vehicle, electronics, etc.. as well as labor to repair the issues.
typically for electronics... I heard that if they are bad, you will know it in the 90 days or less... thats why Sony only has a 90 day warranty on TV's & such... they claim if its gonna go bad, it happens quick.
Hmmm ..... One way to look at it, if I get the money now & bank it, it will cover a down payment on my next RL:) Ok .. Im off to cancel:cool:

·
Registered
511 Posts
Honda's warranty is only for the powertrain isn't it? I bought the 7/100k warranty to cover everything else.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ruffles said:
Honda's warranty is only for the powertrain isn't it? I bought the 7/100k warranty to cover everything else.
This is true and so the extended warranty is probably a good idea for a first year model. Of course this will depend on how much you like to gamble and how long you intend to keep the vehicle.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I had a claim on our '99 Accord. It wasn't a HondaCare warranty but it covered just the same. Had to replace the alternator. That just about paid for the warrantee! Doesn't sound like much but try and diagnose an electrical problem on today's cars. If you don't have the computer equipment it can be a trick. This is from a guy who has rebuilt many cars. I don't mess with the Hondas. Just too complex for me.
There was a time when the drive train was a real problem. No longer. If you don't get at least 100K on a new car engine today you are trying to abuse it or have the worst luck known to man (or bought a Chevy). The stuff that gets you are the myriad of computers and complex electrical systems.
I wouldn't give my 7yr/100K warranty for twice what I paid for it.
Do you have a Navi? Imagine how much that would cost if yours punks out on you. Even something as simple as a door lock can run up a bill that would make a surgeon proud.
Thanks, I'll keep my waranty.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I bought a Honda because I was tired of thinking about extended warranties.

2 civics
1 integra gsr (Acura)
2 accords
1 pressure washer
1 lawnmower

Sold or traded everything with 100% functionality well out of warranty (cept the lawnmower and pressure washer which I still own and use.).
I did have an issue with the integra, but it was my own doing so it doesen't count.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've always bought extended warranties on my cars and they've always paid for themselves many times over. I got the 7/100/0 for $1050. 2 or 3 out of pocket repairs will easy cost that much.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Very good points. I'll hang on to mine after all.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Ruffles said:
I've always bought extended warranties on my cars and they've always paid for themselves many times over. I got the 7/100/0 for $1050. 2 or 3 out of pocket repairs will easy cost that much.
I've always bought Honda vehicles so I won't need the extended warranty. I did consider it for the RL due to being first model year, but with the 60k powertrain warranty, I'm glad I didn't get it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Everybody has their reasons for getting the warranty in the first place. I'm on the road a lot (24,000 miles after 8 months) and I'll be through the usual 36/36 in my first year. For me, I feel it makes sense. I'll keep this vehicle for at least three more years and I like the protection aspect. :)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I tend to buy extended warranties on my vehicles because I tend to put so few miles on my cars that the time runs out well before I reach the miles and it is usually the mileage that gets you to a failure not the time. For instance the rear door on my Subaru failed in an odd way and it cost me $50 instead of $600 to get it repaired because I had an extended warranty with a $50 deductible. I still had 2 years left on that warranty when I traded it for my Ridgeline, I can well imagine I would have used it again in that time and paid for the ~$700 I paid for it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I was never a fan of warranties either until about 10 years ago. I bought a used 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee and my first extended warranty (bought it off the internet). About a year or so into owning the car, I heard a strange knocking in the rear. Brought it in, turned out to be a cracked axle. Deductible was $100, job totalled $1600 and a rent a car was about $150.
I am glad I bought my extended warranty....

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
rtboy1961 said:
I got my new owners manual and letter stateing the extended warranty Honda now offers. I went down to my Honda dealer and told them I no longer wanted my extended warranty that I purchased just for the reason that Honda now covered for free. I filled out a claim form and will be refunded $1460.00.:) So , if anyone else bought the extended warranty, that is how you cancel it.
When I bought my RL, I was going to get Honda's extended warranty but the loan officer at my credit union told me that they had a better one and it was with my vehicle insurance company! It went longer and covered more as will as saving me 500.00! Check out Mercury Insurance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts