Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 RTL-E. Only now have I tried to use the AndriodAuto feature.

I have a Samsung 7G smartphone and already took it to Verizon to make sure there wasn't anything wrong with it. I also made sure the cable was in good working order.

When I plug the phone in, you can see it starts charging. So I'd assume there's also nothing wrong with the USB socket.

When trying to activate AndriodAuto, the head unit states that there's no smart phone connected. I tried plugging the phone in after the truck as been started, and also before I start the truck. Either way results in the same message when trying to select the smartphone icon. I have no problems using the phone via the head unit to make or receive phone calls.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
  1. Are you connecting to the USB port in the dashboard console? (The port in the center console will not work for connectivity.)
  2. Start the vehicle and wait until the warning on the screen is dismissed, then connect the phone. Some people experience issues if they connect the phone before starting the truck.
  3. Use the factory cable, or a high quality aftermarket cable, the shorter the better. As @Danke already said, some cables won't work properly.
  4. Make sure Bluetooth is enabled. I don't know why Honda needs both Bluetooth AND a cable connection, but that is how it works on the Ridgeline.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tried a different cable I happen to have,, and it worked! And yes, I was always using the dash center stack USB port and bluetooth is enabled.

How-ever, I had to plug and unplug the cable a few times for it to finally work. At first, there was no response. Then it showed 'loading', but again went to the, 'No Smartphone detected'. On my last try, the smartphone selection on the home page changed to AndriodAuto.

The cable I'm now using is kinda thin and at least 2 feet in lenght. I'm wondering if that was the reason for the first two failed attempts. Can any of you recommend a shorter, high quality cable?

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Touring (🍁) Deep Scarlet Pearl
93 Posts
I use Anker cables.
I second the Anker cables
Thanks both of you, solved my issue. For the longest time, my phone would lose connection when I was plugged in for Android Auto and the wire got bumped or moved. I thought it was probably the USB connector in the dash had loose guide tabs inside, I was going to try bending them slightly to make a tighter fit. Then I tried an Anker 6 foot cable, and have never had another loss of connection. The other cable has been retired to home charging use.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My experience with this problem, detailed in another thread, comes down to this: there are "charging" cables and there are "data cables". You need a "data cable". Data cables also charge, so all the bases are covered.

I'm not a computer weenie - my office manager figured this out for me. I had no idea there were different "grades" of cables. There are and the data cable reliably solves the problem.(zero issues as discussed above) over about 3 months.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My experience with this problem, detailed in another thread, comes down to this: there are "charging" cables and there are "data cables". You need a "data cable". Data cables also charge, so all the bases are covered.

I'm not a computer weenie - my office manager figured this out for me. I had no idea there were different "grades" of cables. There are and the data cable reliably solves the problem.(zero issues as discussed above) over about 3 months.
I take offense to the term "Computer Weenie". Funny the guy that didn't know something is making fun ;-P

·
Registered
6 Posts
My wife uses Apple and I use Android, so rather than have multiple cables that support just one type of device, we switched to Magnetic USB cables. We've been using these for years and they work really well. We only need one cable in each car now, plus a few around the house for charging purposes. These reduce wear and tear on the phone connector. The only downside is they don't come in shorter sizes. I've only seen them in 1M or 2M lengths.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
I'll pass on all of the gimmicky stuff. I just buy a high-end cable, and I am good to go. I have never heard of a "charging cable." Some cables are just very poorly made, or do not even try to conform to specs, and that is the problem. Sticking to a reputable manufacturer and a short length is the key. Watch for keywords like "fast charging" and look for high data rates.
Magnetic ends have the same problem that all wireless charging has - it is slower and less reliable than a normal high-end cable. There are little coils on each side of the connection, and the current flowing through them induces a current on the other end through the magnetic field that it creates. Not optimal for good data transfer! "KISS" (Translated to Keep It Simple, Señor or Señorita" so I don't insult anyone!)

·
Registered
6 Posts
The magnetic cables do not use induction to charge the device nor do they have any impact on data transfer. You still have a wired connection to your device, but rather than use friction to keep the cable in, these use magnets instead. Unfortunately, not every set of these cables will work on all types of devices. The ones I linked to will work with my wife's Iphone and my Pixel on Android Auto and Apple Carplay.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a (somewhat) similar issue.

I have a 2017 Ridgeline Black Edition.

My phone is a Oneplus 5, and will not connect to android auto to save my life. I am using the manufacturer's cable. When I plug it in, nothing happens, and no smartphone is shown connected to the had unit. The phone is charging, but not recognized by the head unit. My brother's OnePlus 6 works fine with the same cable, as soon as I plugged it in, it recognized and asked if I wanted to enable android auto. The same thing happened when my wife connected her iPhone 8, launched into Apple Carplay. I have been researching several blogs on this OnePlus issue online, tried several methods to hack it in, but am not extremely tech savvy, and have had no success with this particular phone yet.

Does anyone have any tips, or similar
experience with a Oneplus 5?

Thanks

·
Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
168 Posts
I have an occasional issue with this. the car says no phone connected. I start unplugging and replugging, turning off and back on, etc, and eventually it is recognized. Other times it works instantly as it should.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
The magnetic cables do not use induction to charge the device nor do they have any impact on data transfer. You still have a wired connection to your device, but rather than use friction to keep the cable in, these use magnets instead. Unfortunately, not every set of these cables will work on all types of devices. The ones I linked to will work with my wife's Iphone and my Pixel on Android Auto and Apple Carplay.
Auggieben,
Yes, they do use induction. How else do you think the data transfers between the two sections of the magnetic connection?

My phone is a Oneplus 5, and will not connect to android auto to save my life. I am using the manufacturer's cable. When I plug it in, nothing happens, and no smartphone is shown connected to the had unit. The phone is charging, but not recognized by the head unit. My brother's OnePlus 6 works fine with the same cable, as soon as I plugged it in, it recognized and asked if I wanted to enable android auto. The same thing happened when my wife connected her iPhone 8, launched into Apple Carplay. I have been researching several blogs on this OnePlus issue online, tried several methods to hack it in, but am not extremely tech savvy, and have had no success with this particular phone yet.

Does anyone have any tips, or similar
experience with a Oneplus 5?

Thanks
  • Yes, purchase a shorter cable. May sure it is a high quality cable. As I said earlier, I like Ankar brand, and the 3' cables are very good. Even shorter is better. I posted a link earlier in this thread for a USB-C Ankar cable. They also make Micro-USB cables.
  • What version of Android is on the OnePlus 5? Have you updated it lately?
  • Have you updated Android Auto on your phone recently?
  • You might want to uninstall Android Auto on your phone, reboot it, then install it again to ensure it is not a problem with the installation.
  • Also, you are connecting to the USB port in the dash, correct? That's the only one that will work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My OnePlus 5 is running Android 9.

It was updated today, still not recognized by the head unit when I plug it in.

I have installed and Uninstaller Android Auto close to 10 times in the past few days - still no luck.

Yes, I am connecting to the USB port in the dash.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
It's got to be the cable, IMO. It's an inexpensive option to get a new cable, I would try that before spending a lot of time trying to get it to work. Just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
6 Posts
HyperPete,

I appreciate the input. I just don't see how the cable could be the problem considering the same cable works totally fine to connect to Android Auto on my brother's OnePlus 6, charges the phone when connected, and is the original data cable that came with the phone.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts