Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Different phones have different requirements. Also, concerning the original cable, OEM cables are not always the highest quality. I know my Samsung S9+ cable is tiny and flimsy compared to the Ankar.
But, it's your setup, and your time. I just know that I would rather "waste" $20 on a cable than waste many hours trying the same thing, again and again. If you happen to live in South-Central PA and wanted to try one of my cables, I'd be glad to let you.

One last thing you can try - delete any phones from the infotainment system and try connecting again.
Good luck!

EDIT: BTW, you do have Bluetooth turned on, don't you? Just checking...

EDIT #2: How to Fix Android Auto Not Working

Edit #3: Oneplus

·
Registered
6 Posts
HyperPete,

Thanks for your generous offer, but I'm in Cleveland, OH.

Yes, I do have Bluetooth turned on.

As far as deleting phones from the infotainment system, nothing ever recognizes except for my OnePlus 5 on the Bluetooth. I'll try that before my next installation attempt.

Your first link listed a couple tricks I have not tried yet, will start looking into those.

Thanks for taking the time!

·
Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
180 Posts
  1. Yes, they do use induction. How else do you think the data transfers between the two sections of the magnetic connection?
I'm no electronics wizard, but wouldn't data pass through the cable just as with a non magnetic cable if you added a permanent magnet to hold it in place? No need to induce a magnetic field?
With the tiny current involved wouldn't it be an imperceptible amount of magnetism anyway?

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
  1. Yes, they do use induction. How else do you think the data transfers between the two sections of the magnetic connection?
I'm no electronics wizard, but wouldn't data pass through the cable just as with a non magnetic cable if you added a permanent magnet to hold it in place? No need to induce a magnetic field?
With the tiny current involved wouldn't it be an imperceptible amount of magnetism anyway?
No. Electrons travel across the surface of a wire. When the wire stops, so do the electrons. Now, look up "left-hand rule" concerning electric motors and you will learn how the data is passed between the two sections. (Or right-hand rule and generators... same concept!)

·
Registered
6 Posts
HyperPete,

Thanks for your generous offer, but I'm in Cleveland, OH.

Yes, I do have Bluetooth turned on.

As far as deleting phones from the infotainment system, nothing ever recognizes except for my OnePlus 5 on the Bluetooth. I'll try that before my next installation attempt.

Your first link listed a couple tricks I have not tried yet, will start looking into those.

Thanks for taking the time!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, good news I got Android Auto working. I gotta say I feel pretty dumb, but it all came down to a charging port on my phone that was clogged with debris (I'm assuming mostly pocket lint). After getting a good cleaning to the port, the phone connected right up to my Ridgeline for Android Auto setup. I never would have suspected this was the problem, because during previous attempts, the phone would charge. Regardless, I'm happy now! Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,040 Posts
Well, good news I got Android Auto working. I gotta say I feel pretty dumb, but it all came down to a charging port on my phone that was clogged with debris (I'm assuming mostly pocket lint). After getting a good cleaning to the port, the phone connected right up to my Ridgeline for Android Auto setup. I never would have suspected this was the problem, because during previous attempts, the phone would charge. Regardless, I'm happy now! Thanks.
That happens to more people than you know. No need to apologize. Glad you got it working.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
330 Posts
When it comes to tech, most people get frustrated easily when things don't work and they assume the worst.
More often than not it's the simple reasons that people over look, not the tech and afterwards people always feel foolish.

This is why help desk people always start with, is you device plugged in properly.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
180 Posts
I bought a new cell phone and after they ran my card I told the guy my old one was shot:. Won't charge or connect correctly etc. He then proceeded to dig a pile of lint out of the port and showed me it worked fine. But I already had my SIM switched and it was paid for so I just kept the new phone.

·
Registered
133 Posts
cable cable cable cable........

Another vote for the cable my Samsung S7 took 5 new cables to find one that actually worked !!!!!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts