Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just called by the local truck accessories installation shop that they couldn't add my lift kit because they snapped the weld nut from the frame when trying to remove the bolt on the springs. So they snapped one and quit.

Has anyone had this problem?

I called a body shop and they didn't want to get involved in opening the frame to get to this.

I really don't want to be hosed by this and not be able to get this installed. Granted, anything can be accomplished with enough cash but at this point I don't know what scope of work I'm looking at.

Thoughts? Experiences?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
From the rear im assuming. I have never heard of such a thing on here but rust can wreak havoc. And when not removed or installed carefully,the weld nuts can break loose. I would have the shop remove them slowly and carefully by spraying some pb blaster on the bolts and you just go out a little then back in to break up any rust or buildup on the threads. If only one breaks...you should be okay if noone will fix it. It is not rocket science to put a new nut in the frame.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I was just called by the local truck accessories installation shop that they couldn't add my lift kit because they snapped the weld nut from the frame when trying to remove the bolt on the springs. So they snapped one and quit.

I called a body shop and they didn't want to get involved in opening the frame to get to this.

I really don't want to be hosed by this and not be able to get this installed. Granted, anything can be accomplished with enough cash but at this point I don't know what scope of work I'm looking at.

Thoughts? Experiences?
Those bolts holding the rear struts can be seized in the weldnuts, need to be soaked in penetrating fluid before trying to remove them. If one breaks off it is a pain in the butt to remove.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts

Thoughts? Experiences?
I just moved back to Louisiana from CO where I lived for six years. I also worked in the auto repair industry while I was up there. I can't believe a reputable auto repair shop can't remove frozen nuts and bolts. They probably had a new tech on the job and he used an impact gun on the bolts without soaking them with penetrating oil first. Mag chloride (like they use to melt snow on the roads in CO) can rust bolts pretty badly, but nothing like the rock salt they use in other areas of the country. There is no excuse for not being able to remove those bolts.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I appreciate the confirmation this isn't a "major" problem. I had the feeling they just tried powering it out, snapped it and gave up. Unfortunately I'm so remote, I don't have a lot of options but I'll get it figured out. In the meantime, with only one weld nut separated, I'm fine continuing with still running it on some rough roads?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Thanks guys, I appreciate the confirmation this isn't a "major" problem. I had the feeling they just tried powering it out, snapped it and gave up. Unfortunately I'm so remote, I don't have a lot of options but I'll get it figured out. In the meantime, with only one weld nut separated, I'm fine continuing with still running it on some rough roads?
Maybe, you should take a look at it now and then keep an eye on it.

never know what torsional loads will be experienced with it missing

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just talked to highly recommended shop here and they laughed and said that was about the 4th truck in a month from that business saying they couldn't complete the work. This guy said the same thing as all of you, he laughed and said "there are ways, one way or another we can get it done without snapping the welds." Ha, he also asked if I was from the midwest so he had the quick diagnosis of mean rust from the rock salt.

I hope all goes smoothly.

Thanks for the encouragement and recommendations.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Glad you found someone to do it. Post some pics when you get it back. Good luck.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The new shop was excellent. The mechanic called and updated me throughout the process. Everything was rusted really well. I don't do anything half-way. Because of the rust and the time it was taking getting parts unseized, it took him an entire day to just get the rear done. The front was a breeze. Apparently a bushing has to be replaced but they said it was safe to drive for a while with the recommendation I get it back and repaired. The tire shop quoted $350 for the repair. Waiting to hear back from the guys on their cost.

I love the result but this has been an expensive mod... The install labor, because of the extra time, came in at $575 with a $120 alignment. And now I have a bushing problem that's around $350. With the kit at $250, I'm in this for about $1,300.

$650 an inch...

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts