Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I read on a car audio forum to install a cap as close as possible to the amp. I want it under the hood though. Is there any reason for this or will it still work somewhat if it is futher away from my amp?

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Capacitors are a waste of money. Spend it on a better battery and amp wiring.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Agree with Shovelhd -- Spend the money on a better amp and larger gauge wiring.

The better amps already come with large internal power regulation capacitors, and a larger wire will keep it fed.

Chip H.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, but I already have 4 gauge running to my amp, and plan on getting a new battery aswell, and i have a cap aswell. Would it help at all if I put the cap in, or does it make a difference? Thanks

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
If you already have the cap, and it's working, then you might as well use it.

What caps attempt to do is eliminate the voltage drop due to the sporadic high current demands of the amp on a dynamic load like music. The amp will attempt to keep the power output the same, as you have instructed it to do via the volume control. If the voltage drops, the current increases. Amps can only put out so much current for so long. If they can't, the voltage drops, and output power decreases. The long run of power wire has resistance. Increased resistance causes voltage drop, and the biggest drop is at the endpoint, the amp. Ideally, you want to minimize the voltage drop at the amp, so that's where you'd want to place your cap. If you can't, it won't be as effective, but they are minimally effective anyway.

I tried to dumb this down and not go all MoosePond on ya. (JK, love ya Moose). If you need a better explanation, just ask.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, Thanks again for your help. I might go ahead and try to get it as close to the amp as possible then. And I assume there is enough room in the floor channels to run a 4 gauge cable? I guess I will find out!!

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
See my install thread. I have two 4G wires on the driver's side and three large interconnects on the right side.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
How many watts is your amp rated for, and where are you planning on putting it?

Another reason for not putting your capacitor under the hood -- they don't like heat.

Chip H.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ended up putting the cap right beside the amp. Which should work for me. I am running a class D alpine amp that puts out 655w at 2ohms. It pulls hard enough to see a dim in the headlights. I am going to do a battery aswell.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey, I had to google what that was, but it seems like a good idea. When I have time I will have to do that. Thanks.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,112 Posts
Hey, I had to google what that was, but it seems like a good idea. When I have time I will have to do that. Thanks.
Caps are not totally useless, but they aren't a solve-all by any means. A decent cap will help with instantaneous power consumption, but you can't really hear the difference. As far as the lights dimming, a cap won't help much with that either. That has to do totally with the vehicle's charging system and its ability to provide enough current to maintain the audio system, the lighting, and all the other electical systems. The best thing you can do is the Big Three and get a stronger battery. Optima yellow tops seem to be the battery of choice in most cases, but other ones like the top end Die Hards, Autocraft Titaniums, etc. provide more than enough power for audio systems. The alternator in the RL is pretty strong, so that shouldn't be an issue. If anything, just do the Big Three first to see if that helps.

For the love of all that is good and holy, don't put a cap under the hood. The leads from the cap to the amp should be as short as possible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts